Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rrubberr

Are AMD Branded Radeon VIIs Binned?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've been considering a Radeon VII as an alternative to the much more expensive 2080TI for use as an OpenCL compute device, and was wondering if AMD keeps the best chips for themselves in the same way Nvidia does with their "Founders Edition" products?

In the case of the GTX 1080, my refurbished "Founders Edition" blower card ran between 10-15 degrees Celsius cooler than a friend's non-FE triple-fan card with fans locked at 100% using PrecisionX, leading me to believe binned chips are often hugely more efficient than what gets sold to board partners.

Has this been disclosed by AMD?

MY WORKSTATION IS FROM 2011 SEND HELP

SuperMicro 745TQ-R1200B: 2x Xeon E5-2697V2, 192GB DDR3, Vega VII, LSI 9260-8i, 2x1200 watt PSUs

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

my refurbished "Founders Edition" blower card ran between 10-15 degrees Celsius cooler than a friend's non-FE triple-fan card with fans locked at 100%

There was something seriously wrong with that triple-fan card, also binned chips are not that much more efficient.

But to answer your question, AFAIK AMD hasn't said anything about it. OFC the best binned of those cards will be the AMD MI60 and MI50, but between the Vega VII cards, they should be pretty much equal. I would buy a sapphire card, because of the good warranty.

11 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

There was something seriously wrong with that triple-fan card, also binned chips are not that much more efficient.

But to answer your question, AFAIK AMD hasn't said anything about it. OFC the best binned of those cards will be the AMD MI60 and MI50, but between the Vega VII cards, they should be pretty much equal. I would buy a sapphire card, because of the good warranty.

Yeah, makes sense that the ultra-expensive server solutions would get the best ones. Do you think they will will release a full 4096 core consumer 7nm as a refresh at some point? I always hate buying cut-down chips.

SuperMicro 745TQ-R1200B: 2x Xeon E5-2697V2, 192GB DDR3, Vega VII, LSI 9260-8i, 2x1200 watt PSUs

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

Yeah, makes sense that the ultra-expensive server solutions would get the best ones. Do you think they will will release a full 4096 core consumer 7nm as a refresh at some point? I always hate buying cut-down chips.

Most likely not. Everything points to them bot wanting to release the Radeon 7 in the first place. And a full die wouldnt be much an upgrade anyway.

22 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I've been considering a Radeon VII as an alternative to the much more expensive 2080TI for use as an OpenCL compute device,

The Radeon 7 is a much better opencl compute device. So id pick that any day over the Radeon 7

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

ok?

I'm guessing that was a mistype and he meant he would prefer a 2080ti. Of course, buying a 2080ti is pretty much out of the question due to it being cut down and generally unimpressive.

2080ti actually isn't a substantially better card for raytracing, a scenario where Nvidia's refusal to release competent and up-to-date OpenCL drivers and their slow GDDR memory really hurts in applications I use (ray intersections require memory access, GDDR is slower in both latency and bandwidth afaik). For the $500 difference between the two cards, I would much rather pair two Radeon VIIs and get substantially more performance than a 2080ti, but, again, in my use cases the performance delta is negligible. 

9 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I'm guessing that was a mistype and he meant he would prefer a 2080ti. Of course, buying a 2080ti is pretty much out of the question due to it being cut down and generally unimpressive.

2080ti actually isn't a substantially better card for raytracing, a scenario where Nvidia's refusal to release competent and up-to-date OpenCL drivers and their slow GDDR memory really hurts in applications I use (ray intersections require memory access, GDDR is slower in both latency and bandwidth afaik). For the $500 difference between the two cards, I would much rather pair two Radeon VIIs and get substantially more performance than a 2080ti, but, again, in my use cases the performance delta is negligible. 

Nah im guessing the opposite, as he said OpenCL, not Cuda. AMD cards have generally rekt nvidia cards in compute performance, even if they are much cheaper.

I would recommend going for the Vega VII, because it would seem that you would benefit from HMB2 and all that good stuff.

My Radeon VII is from AMD and I have some of the best scores for benchmarks but I'm also on water.. I probably just got lucky, though as I doubt they're binned..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build