Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doddsy7

CPU running very hot with unusually high voltages which I don’t know how to fix

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I apologise in advance as I’m still quite new with overclocking and voltages etc. I upgraded my motherboard not too long ago from an ASUS prime A320-M to a ASUS prime b450 plus and I’ve noticed my cpu is running very hot compared to my old motherboard, about 45-50 degrees idle or even higher compared to the normal stock cooler temps of my old motherboard. When gaming, it can shoot up to about 80 degrees Celsius. However, I’ve noticed it’s been running a bit faster than my old motherboard, 3.6ghz (base speed for a ryzen 5 2600x, that’s what my cpu is btw) whereas now it fluctuates, about 2.2ghz at idle and when gaming it shoots up to 4ghz. Now I don’t know if my motherboard had overclocking features or what but I’ve been so baffled as to why it does this. Also my voltage is quite high considering I’ve not touched overclocking in my life and stuck with stock speeds, and yet my voltage is 1.4 volts on average and I have no idea how to fix it. Any help at all would be highly appreciated 

Thanks 

Your old Motherboard probably didn't support XFR which automatically Overclocks your CPU for you. If you want to manually Overclock your CPU then, you can either do it in the BIOS or, download Ryzen master and do it in Windows.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

UP THE HAMMERS & DOWN THE NAILS
MAY THE LORDS OF LIGHT BE WITH YOU
BLESSED BE
HAIL CROM
HAIL ODIN
HAIL THOR
HAIL THE MANILLAN EMPIRE
HAIL TO THE BRETHREN OF THE HAMMER

Rest in peace Mark \m/

1957-2018

8 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Your old Motherboard probably didn't support XFR which automatically Overclocks your CPU for you. If you want to manually Overclock your CPU then, you can either do it in the BIOS or, download Ryzen master and do it in Windows.

Now should I leave xfr on? Is it more beneficial than stock speeds even though my cpu is running quite hot? I am getting a much better cooler in the future because I do want to get into the overclocking so should I just wait and get the new cooler and not do anything? 

Ok so I disabled precision boost overdrive which I’m guessing is xfr. It’s not made a difference to be perfectly honest but I’ve analysed that a mild overclock makes the cpu voltage not fluctuate rapidly and keeps it relatively fixed, now it’s still quite high temperatures but it fixes the voltage fluctuation issue I guess 

1 minute ago, Doddsy7 said:

Ok so I disabled precision boost overdrive which I’m guessing is xfr. It’s not made a difference to be perfectly honest but I’ve analysed that a mild overclock makes the cpu voltage not fluctuate rapidly and keeps it relatively fixed, now it’s still quite high temperatures but it fixes the voltage fluctuation issue I guess 

XFR, as far as I know, is the one that looks at your temps and Overclocks accordingly while Precision Boost Overdrive fine tunes it.

If you want to possibly lower the temps then, you'll either have to Overclock yourself and give the CPU less Voltage or, you'll need better cooling.

Try taking your side panel off and see if your temps improve by much.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

UP THE HAMMERS & DOWN THE NAILS
MAY THE LORDS OF LIGHT BE WITH YOU
BLESSED BE
HAIL CROM
HAIL ODIN
HAIL THOR
HAIL THE MANILLAN EMPIRE
HAIL TO THE BRETHREN OF THE HAMMER

Rest in peace Mark \m/

1957-2018