How long do you use your pcs?

Retro_R

I have machines that get uses in my lab going all the way back to a 2600k at (4.7k I think atm) now the GPU in it has been upgraded to a 580 lately (100 bucks open box at microcenter).

Now on a personal level I generally upgrade pretty often. I still have an used 2080ti that was going to be part of a 9900k build that I shelved waiting on ryzen 3000 to hit. I plan on going with a 16c/32t CPU with a high overclock if possible. I tend to custom water every machine I build now.

Now on the newest upgrades coming if the ryzen 3000 can hit 4700mhz it will be a pure win. I game at 1440p minimum on my main rig so high fps bottlenecks aren't a concern this generation.

I still come across a lot of retired dolls that rock 4770s or 4570s that I toss a low power GPU in like a 1050ti or now the 1150ti. I generally sell these off for about 250-300 for a decent gaming rig for someone or at cost to friend/family.

My current main system was built mid 2016. She's getting a partial rebuild this year.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1988 - 80286 system

1991 - 486 DX4 system

1999 - Pentium II 450 (Banshee + Voodoo 2 x 2 SLI)

2002 - Pentium 4 2.4ghz 533 (Geforce 2 MX200)

2005 - Athlon64 3000+ (Geforce 4 MX440)

2008 - C2Q Q9550 (Dual XFX 9600GT XXX Alpha Dogs SLI)

2012 - i7 3770K (GTX680 SLI > GTX980 SLI > GTX1070 SLI)

I'm still using the 3rd gen PC as my gaming machine - so I guess I generally keep them anywhere from 3-7years. 

I occasionally get a bit of skipping in BF1 but otherwise most systems arent too CPU intensive, so can run all my AAA titles just fine. 

I do have an X299 system which is half built. With commitments to my GT-R I haven't had the spare funds to worry about finishing that build. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Uhhh... Probably a good 2-3 years. 5 at max.

I built my PC 7 years ago, if I remember correctly. The only major upgrade I did was upgrading to a GTX 970, which ended up being a waste of money because I was gaming with a low resolution monitor (sub 1080p) at that time, but hey, the 970 still holds up today.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Since I started building PCs, 4 years was the longest I went for a main. What's bad, is that thing had a terrible CPU that was OK when new but did not hold up well at all over time (Athlon 64 X2 6000+). Now I build something new every 2-ish years, or at least make some kind of major change anyway.

I still keep some of the computers, or at least key components, around for alternate uses. My ASUS P8Z68-V Gen3, Core i5 2500K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM, and GTX 770 from my early 2012 build live on in a build in a new chassis (I think a Corsair Carbide 270) with a new PSU, SSD, and a copy of Windows 8.1 for my dad. He just uses it for web browsing, Excel, and Outlook so it suits him just fine.

My mid 2015 i7 4790K build was rebuilt into an HTPC chassis back in 2017 to be, well, an HTPC. I could still easily live with it being my main rig though. To be honest, my early-mid 2017 7700K build was a complete waste of money. I have not liked either motherboard I've used for it (Originally an ASRock Z270 Taichi, then later an Asus Prime Z270-A), the CPU was barely faster than the last build, it ran hotter, and it's existence was nullified close to 6 months after it's release by the 8700K.

Also, all the noise about the newly discovered vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs made me bust out the Ryzen 7 2700 and Asus ROG Strix X470-F I had laying around to try (impulse buys when they were dirt cheap). So, about 2 years again after the 7700K build. I will say, this will be a short lived config. I lost the silicon lottery. This 2700 can't overclock for shit, so when the Ryzen 3000 CPUs roll around, this 2700 is gettin tossed. It still does okay in stock-ish config, but I was really hoping to get more out of it.

Downstairs rig is four years old and still going........

ok.  It’s flunking.

Won’t visit often..

Depends on the hardware. As a student, I don't have a lot of money lying around for PC upgrades so I tend to go for whatever gives me the most performance for the money I have at the time. I do tend to try and spend the little extra if I think it'll give me a bit longer out of the part. Like some of the parts in my computer (SSD, Fans) are now reaching 5 years. My disk drive (I know it's ancient) is about 10 years old. Everything else is about a year old now but before that, most things had been in my computer for about 4 years. I don't see myself needing to upgrade for another 2 to 3 years on the CPU (Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9GHz) and the GPU will hopefully last me another 4 (GTX 1070 and I only play at 1080p).

As to OP's question. I think if you buy a really high end PC you might bet 10 years out of it if you're extremely lucky but you won't still be at ultra settings by then.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

*stare at my sig*  Alexa, play world's saddest song.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

A few years(3~5) before requiring a GPU update if you game a lot.

Easily 10 years otherwise... 

I mean, my CPU came out in 2010. It's still perfectly viable for playing games. All I had to do was change my GPU, upgrade from 8GB to 16GB of RAM and get a new SSD.

But it's starting to chug these days, especially in CPU intensive application (like emulation/virtual machines) and I have to play at cinematic 30fps in most games... Which is why I'm waiting for Zen 2 and Navi to finally upgrade, hopefully... unless they are complete trash somehow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Varies depending which of my rigs, laptops, or tablets I decide to upgrade or not upgrade.

The main rig tends to get switch out of parts almost every year or additions added (planning to add another NVMe drive to it.  Was planning to update it to the next TRs, but AMD seem to gone silent atm on those).

Second rig tends to stay set for a bit longer periods.  I usually only update parts on it maybe two to three year spans.

Third rig is a new addition, but not a whole lot of plans to update it as it is rock solid with a E5-2670V3 doing server duty.  At most, may get more RAM for it and jump it from 32GB to 64GB kit.

Laptops on the other hand, I still got one ten year old one rocking and an old butt Toshiba still as my main lappy.  I don't game or do anything heavy task why with those, so no point in getting new lappies.

At work though, different story.  We just update from Intel Core 2s.  :P  About the only new thing those had where SSDs installed before doing a refresh.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Was planning to update it to the next TRs, but AMD seem to gone silent atm on those

Here's hoping it's just because they're making a change to differentiate them from the 16C Ryzens.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Here's hoping it's just because they're making a change to differentiate them from the 16C Ryzens.

I do hope so.  The internal improvements would be lovely in the Threadripper line of chips.  Plus, new boards and features.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I am still using. My 3770k as a dorm pc so I can possibly stretch it out to 10 (gpus on the otherhand 750ti to 1070ti)

mid- high end pc ,expect on average 10 years(+/- 2 yrs if nothing breaks)

my dad is still on my 2012 pc (i5 2500/ amd 6850/ 6gb ram) playing world of tanks happily ever after

I upgraded to r7 1700 because my dad's p4 e8400 died and 8c/16t thread will sure last more than 10 yrs~~~

Until I get bored one day and buy the parts for a new one, even then, I will usually carry over a PSU/GPU/Storage unless they are super old/dying.

i don't know why people think that 10 years is long for a system. if you know how to set the settings in game you won't even notice the difference 

Just now, Mr. horse said:

a few month at best. I get board with it and build something new. I like building PCs more then using them.

*shits bricks of gold* 

I aim to upgrade every 7 years

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

I mean, my CPU/motherboard is approximately 10 years old. Graphics card was updated along the way, as well as the SSD. But its fully possible to use a 10 year old system and game, as long as you buy a newer GPU down the road. 

Edit: Should be noted I'm an X58 CPU fanatic so... 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'm on a 3960X with a 1080 Ti in my main desktop. Hopefully do a new build next year. Keeping the 1080 Ti tho.

ur not satisfied with the 3960x? i have the same chip and its treating me awesome 

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Its a fantastic cpu. I love it. I've got it OC'd to 4.3Ghz stable 24/7 in P95. Its extra awesome with 1866 memory. For gaming its fine. I can run FH4 at max settings with a 120hz monitor with 4xmsaa. But I do photo editing and at times- a lot of it. I also have been trying to rip my dads almost 20 year dvd/blue ray collection so we can have it on a plex server for the entire house. 

Mainly for the photo editing is what I want a faster cpu for. And this 3960X doesnt have any more OC room in it without turning the voltage up to the point where I'd need to watercool it. The very first paid shoot I did I took almost 1,000 pictures. Newer tech would be awesome like being able to use an NVME SSD as a scratch disk.

fair point. i love mine to bits. what volts are you at with that OC ?. i got mine to 4.2 on 1.350 i believe. but the pump is failing me so im back at stock settings (UGH) 

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I’ve got it under an NH-D15S

i think i’m at 4.3 ghz at 1.37 on all cores. Have current limit set to 130% and medium load line calibration. P9X79 pro is a has been agreat motherboard to me. Decent heatsinks. Doesnt ever throttle or turn clock speed down and under P95 cpuz says theres ~220 watts going thru the cpu after about 20 min when the calculations get more intense. 

aint bad at all! i got mine on the Rampage iv extreme . i've been very satisfied with that combo. im still in the debate with myself if i should get a custom loop or just plunker down on a NH-D15s aswell. sounds like you made up my mind to be fair