How much do you need to host a small site

Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
30 minutes ago, Thebeastiworship said:

So my old dell laptop could do it?

Technically, yes. Up until 2 weeks ago, I was running Debian Linux on a PowerPC based Mac Mini from 2004 that happily ran a small web server + transmission torrent client 24/7/365 for 4 years. (minus power outages, of course) Your Dell laptop can probably do it just fine, assuming it can run Linux decently enough, but I definitely would NOT recommend using WiFi for this - plug in to ethernet.

Hello, I was wondering how much you actually need hardwarewise to host a really simple and with low traffic public domain with a linux server.

1 minute ago, Acedia said:

About a raspberry pi.

30 minutes ago, Thebeastiworship said:

Technically, yes. Up until 2 weeks ago, I was running Debian Linux on a PowerPC based Mac Mini from 2004 that happily ran a small web server + transmission torrent client 24/7/365 for 4 years. (minus power outages, of course) Your Dell laptop can probably do it just fine, assuming it can run Linux decently enough, but I definitely would NOT recommend using WiFi for this - plug in to ethernet.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, kirashi said:

My dell laptop is from 2014 and runs linux really smoothly. Guess I'm good to go then. Thanks for the info!

If you want to see a case study of how little you can get use and get away with it, check out Low Tech Magazine's solar webpage. 

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2018/09/how-to-build-a-lowtech-website.html 

They run that page on a single-board computer that is powered only by solar energy. If it's cloudy for too long, it goes offline ? 

You can see the technical details of the project here: https://homebrewserver.club/low-tech-website-howto.html#hardware 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4