Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kd4lif3

Beginner 3D printer suggestions

Posted · Original PosterOP

I got around to using one of the 3D printers at my school and found that the whole process is quite easy. It sparked a bit of an interest for me and I decided that I want to look into buying a printer of my own. I’m not sure what I am looking for other than what I need it for. I have an interest in model rockets so I will likely be printing some parts which are larger than small and perhaps taller than they are wide (I know I am being vague). I will probably have a relatively low budget of (likely) below 500 cad. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

I got around to using one of the 3D printers at my school and found that the whole process is quite easy. It sparked a bit of an interest for me and I decided that I want to look into buying a printer of my own. I’m not sure what I am looking for other than what I need it for. I have an interest in model rockets so I will likely be printing some parts which are larger than small and perhaps taller than they are wide (I know I am being vague). I will probably have a relatively low budget of (likely) below 500 cad. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Creatily Ender 3 Pro. Heated, flexable bed (makes getting parts off a LOT easier), support for remote control programs like Octoprint, and support for more durable materials like PETG and ABS plastics, though I recommend starting with PLA. 

If you do buy it, get the ComGrow version (link below). Creatily themselves is a company based out of Shanghai and English support is incredibly difficult to get. Comgrow will act as a middle ground and replace broken parts, honor warranty and be much more willing to help.

I personally bought this printer a while back and have been loving it. How much do you know about 3D printing? I'd be happy to share my findings if wanted. :D 

https://www.amazon.ca/Comgrow-Creality-Printer-Upgrade-Certified/dp/B07H21QPTT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Ender+3+pro&qid=1558114064&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

If I don't respond, please tag me in your post. I'm probably AFK or responding to someone else. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

Stille (Desktop)

i7-8700k @5.0Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Macbook Pro 2015 (Musicians live and die by these, unfortunately I need one. :/
i7-4980HQ (Liquid Metal mod) - 16GB DDR3 - Radeon M370X (Liquid Metal mod) 

El-Sleepo (ProxMox server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 48GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware for JBOD) - 320GB HGST HDD (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS devID passthrough) - 2x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Corsair CX series Power Supplies are fine

agreed with @Brink2Three the ender3 is prolly easiest with total cost involved to start with 3d printing.

as your needs grow the printer is a great starting printer and handles most small mid-sized prints. till you get into larger cosplay prints or larger prints in general, then a bigger build area or build your own.