Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ab.dulz

Active directory domain services domain contact

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, 

To start off I am going to give a background of what I am trying to achieve with this server.

For one of my computer science assignments I was briefed to create a mock server that could allow clients to have logins and for those users to be either an admin or an employee. The server must also allow employees to only have access to employee files and Admins to have access to all files. 

I have been employed by my school as a work experience student for the past year hence why I have been given the task of setting this up. (BTW the other technician who worked on this in the past years has left and the other two cannot figure it out as well) 

My setup is a laptop (which is the server) connected to a router which is not connected to a broadband line due to school policies. 

To start off I set up the server (this is after initial installation etc.) by first giving the server a a static IP of

IP: 192.168.1.2

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (automatically entered) 

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 

Then installing Active Directory Domain Services and DNS server through the add roles and features wizard. 

Then I promoted AD (Active Directory) to a domain controller and add a new forest and named it (unit19.com) and I continue through the wizard without changing anything else. (I do give it a password)  and I am prompted to restart. 

After the restart I go into Active directory Users and computers and get the error message below. 

15580984024586673013408525665352.jpg

Did you configure the DNS service? And point the DNS on the network interface to 127.0.0.1?

Spoiler

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6ghz | EVGA Z77 FTW | 2 x EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3, Corsair SP120's | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | OCZ ZX 1250w | Samsung 28" 4K Display | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Corsair 400R, IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF, Seasonic X-Series 650w PSU, 2 x Xeon E5540's, 24GB DDR3-ECC, Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i, RES2SV240 SAS Expander, Samsung 840Evo 120GB, 2 x 8TB Seagate Archives, 12 x 3TB WD Red

On 5/18/2019 at 3:49 AM, Jarsky said:

Did you configure the DNS service? And point the DNS on the network interface to 127.0.0.1?

I tried leaving it empty which automatically gave it the DNS of 127.0.0.1 and also making the DNS the same as the IP. 

On 5/17/2019 at 2:07 PM, Ab.dulz said:

Hello, 

To start off I am going to give a background of what I am trying to achieve with this server.

For one of my computer science assignments I was briefed to create a mock server that could allow clients to have logins and for those users to be either an admin or an employee. The server must also allow employees to only have access to employee files and Admins to have access to all files. 

I have been employed by my school as a work experience student for the past year hence why I have been given the task of setting this up. (BTW the other technician who worked on this in the past years has left and the other two cannot figure it out as well) 

My setup is a laptop (which is the server) connected to a router which is not connected to a broadband line due to school policies. 

To start off I set up the server (this is after initial installation etc.) by first giving the server a a static IP of

IP: 192.168.1.2

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (automatically entered) 

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 

Then installing Active Directory Domain Services and DNS server through the add roles and features wizard. 

Then I promoted AD (Active Directory) to a domain controller and add a new forest and named it (unit19.com) and I continue through the wizard without changing anything else. (I do give it a password)  and I am prompted to restart. 

After the restart I go into Active directory Users and computers and get the error message below. 

15580984024586673013408525665352.jpg

Update:

I done the exact same setup in a virtual machine and it worked.