Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Queen Chrysallis

Does this bother you?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Ever since the first time i saw this, i disliked it greatly. In fact, it triggers me whenever i see it

What i'm talking about, tho? this:

giphy.gif

And also this

giphy.gif

Does this bother you?

Am i the only one feeling for the robots?

Like, i get it its not alive, has no heart or brain blablabla

It doesn't know someone's being a huge dick to it

But i can't help but get pissed off at the guy doing it
Idk maybe i'm biased cuz in games robots are sometimes your friend

But when i watch this i feel like getting in there and tackling the guy, rugby-style

And please spare me the "that's why they're dangerous cuz we can feel sympathy and they can't"

And yes i also get it that the guy isn't being a dick on purpose he's making it difficult for it to know if it can overcome obstacles or whatever i get it.

Just can't help being pissed at it. Still would tackle the guy.

Maybe my sympathy for it comes from the fact that its appearance is humanoid-like or dog-like in the case of the first one. Idk...

Anyway, mini-rant done. Do this bother you at all? Is it funny? Or is it "just a machine" to you?

Current, Old Rig

Mobo: Asus B85M-E // CPU: i7-4770K // GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070 // RAM: 16GB Single Channel // Cooling: Stock Intel // Storage: 167 GB SDD OCZ Agilty3, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda // PSU: AeroCool Strike X 800w 80+ Silver // Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower

New Rig (in The Works, Missing PSU)

Mobo: MSI Z390 Godlike // CPU: i9-9900K // GPU: Galax Hall of Fame 2080 Ti // RAM: 32GB Dual Channel // Cooling: D15S with 3 Noctua Fans // Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO, 6TB Seagate Barracuda PRO // PSU: RMi 850w 80+ Gold // Case: TT View 37 RGB Edition

Peripherals And Others

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition // Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury White // Headphone: Razer Man'O War 7.1 // Display: LG 2560x1080 25' 60Hz Ultrawide // UPS: Pure Sine Wave, Online Topology 3000VA (2100w) (this shit is heavy as fuck)

- Previously ReggieGRS

Honestly, they're just Robots, honestly i don't care.

Like our friend above said, it could be part of it's process to learn.

"... To see the world in a grain of sand. Heaven in a wild flower

Hold infinite in the palm of your hand.  And eternity in an hour ..."

PC: 1

CPU: Intel Core i7 6950X 4.GHz 1.219V Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-GAMING-G1-WIFI RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Chaser A71 Black Thermaltak PSU: Corsair CX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1809 / OS Build: 17763.404)

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

3 minutes ago, GabrielLP14 said:

Honestly, they're just Robots, honestly i don't care.

I wonder if one day some specie will say "Honestly, its just humans, they're destructive, suicidal and inferior, who cares"

Current, Old Rig

Mobo: Asus B85M-E // CPU: i7-4770K // GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070 // RAM: 16GB Single Channel // Cooling: Stock Intel // Storage: 167 GB SDD OCZ Agilty3, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda // PSU: AeroCool Strike X 800w 80+ Silver // Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower

Mobo: MSI Z390 Godlike // CPU: i9-9900K // GPU: Galax Hall of Fame 2080 Ti // RAM: 32GB Dual Channel // Cooling: D15S with 3 Noctua Fans // Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO, 6TB Seagate Barracuda PRO // PSU: RMi 850w 80+ Gold // Case: TT View 37 RGB Edition

Peripherals And Others

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition // Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury White // Headphone: Razer Man'O War 7.1 // Display: LG 2560x1080 25' 60Hz Ultrawide // UPS: Pure Sine Wave, Online Topology 3000VA (2100w) (this shit is heavy as fuck)

- Previously ReggieGRS

11 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

I wonder if one day some specie will say "Honestly, its just humans, they're destructive, suicidal and inferior, who cares"

Would you really blame them? I wouldn't. I wouldn't really appreciate it, because sentience, which the robots don't have yet. But I wouldn't blame them.

Rather soothing to watch.

That's a piece of equipment, no one thinks about it like that when its not shaped like a Humanoid or Canine.  Its that, that bothers you.

Watching a GIF of someone wrecking a car would evoke a different kind of emotion yeah?(like concern for the human in the totaled vehicle)  But didn't he just kill that machine??? ;) 

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8ghz all core stock voltage, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker, Corsair HX850 PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO push top exhaust, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36825649?

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8ghz all core stock voltage (yes, 2 of them...silicone lottery!), Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

A couple laptops and tablets around the house

@Tristerin

Yea just like i said, that probably i feel for it cuz of its appearance. And again i get it its not done with a bad purpose. I guessed that the guy was probably doing it to see if it could overcome obstacle and shit. To better its effectiveness.

As for the car example, i sort of agree. Like, i wouldn't be happy at all if someone were to kick my PC cuz it didn't performed as expected. There's a sort of emotional attachment to it. As for the robot, that attachment is the resemblance to day-to-day beings such as other humans and dogs. I care for my car as well and wouldn't be a dick to it and i'd totally feel bad if it got wrecked somehow. Its strange.

Current, Old Rig

Peripherals And Others

- Previously ReggieGRS

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

Soon the robot will realize the man can't disrupt the machine if his head is no longer attached to his body.

lol fr

maybe im being naive but we humans play god with this shit

we build it, then we make it better, smarter, to obey our bidding and out bidding alone

we do whatever the fuck we want it cuz its ours, we built it. we own it.

yea that sounds like something that'll never come back to bite us in the ass at all lol

Current, Old Rig

Peripherals And Others

- Previously ReggieGRS

It's interesting that seeing this bothers me more than knowng that the Dukes of Hazzard had several dozen General Lee's on hand during the filming of any given episode because those weren't built for stunt work.

It's a good thing this is happening, though. We're moving towards a society where more mundane tasks are being automated and it's important for these machines to learn to deal with unexpected circumstances. Having them perform admirably under ideal circumstances is like the pre-rendered "gameplay" trailer of the robotics world - eventually the unhappy flow comes up, and it's important to not have your machinery lock up when that happens.

8 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

Then those species' deserve to be extinct coz they're so stupid for thinking all human are the same like you said. Machine're non living thing created to serve humans, so humans can do whatever they want with it.

Yes.

But it is not about the robot.

It is the aggression of the human.  

It would be disturbing even if it was a cartoon.

The reason some don't find it disturbing is because they see it as justified and it is.

Put up an abattoir video. It would be disturbing as well and it is also justified. 

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair CORSAIR AX860W | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti XC | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB  

Yes, the fact that robots like these exists bother me. 

It's all fun and games until they come knocking to your door to bring you "democracy"

EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Current build:

Meshify C

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Intel SSD 660p 1TB 

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

9 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

Ever since the first time i saw this, i disliked it greatly. In fact, it triggers me whenever i see it

giphy.gif

And also this

giphy.gif

Does this bother you?

But when i watch this i feel like getting in there and tackling the guy, rugby-style

And please spare me the "that's why they're dangerous cuz we can feel sympathy and they can't"

And yes i also get it that the guy isn't being a dick on purpose he's making it difficult for it to know if it can overcome obstacles or whatever i get it.

Maybe my sympathy for it comes from the fact that its appearance is humanoid-like or dog-like in the case of the first one. Idk...

Anyway, mini-rant done. Do this bother you at all? Is it funny? Or is it "just a machine" to you?

I totally agree with your opinion. But, the AI or the Machine Learning software of the robots needs to be programmed to such things. It's just like ourselves. We also at some point in time have fallen in a deep pit but we have also learnt how to deal with such situations. The same goes for the AI implied in these robots. We humans just can't go on writing code for each and every situation for the robot to deal. It has to be able to identify some obstacles and be able to deal with it. But yeah! We can also teach a robot with some TLC how to deal with these situations and not be violent at all times.

What's scarier is that someone like the OP can attach emotional value to a robot and a demonstration by the developers of how it can overcome non-linear actions.  That would be the same as crying over someone pressing the power button on a pc because it hurt the computers feelings.

Gaming - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti Amp | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

Media - AMD 2700X | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero | Corsair RGB Pro 3200 32GB | EVGA 1080 Ti SC | Samsung 970 1 TB | 6x WD Red 8TB | Corsair H150i Pro | EVGA G3 1000W | Windows 10 Pro

Workstation/VM - Intel 5960x | Asus Strix X99 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB | EVGA 1080 TI FTW | Samsung 960 Evo 512GB | 4 x Samsung 850 250GB | Corsair 540 Air | Corsair H115i | XFX 750W | Windows 10 Pro

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

10 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

We are...

But in this case I think the robot will be gratefull. We are teaching it to overcome obstacles so it can kill us more effeciently later. Otherwise just gently pushing the robot would mean it gets confused.

11 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

giphy.gif

And also this

giphy.gif

Does this bother you?

For me i honestly dont give a shit,and i dont care if they kill us off tomorrow yeh the guy is being a dick but as people where saying thats how they learn.

11 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

Does this bother you?

honestly i can relate, i treat all my pcs like they are my babies cuz they are. so i can see where ur coming from

Really doesn't, fortunately they're just machines and don't feel anything.

For some reason this disturbs me more, i don't know if its mechanical empathy or just because i know how much it costs.

Project Taiwan: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8ghz  /// CPU Cooler: 280mm Thermaltake Water 3.0 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 8gb Team T-Force Xtreem @3400mhz /// Chassis: InWin 805 (with MNPCtech handles) /// PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower Grand Gold 650W /// Storage: Intel 760p 256gb NVME SSD + Inland 480GB SSD + Toshiba X300 4TB HDD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals: Mice: Glorious Model O (glossy black), Elecom HUGE Trackball /// Keyboard: Logitech G613 (Romer Gs) /// Monitor: AOC Agon AG322FCX 32' (VA, 1080p @144hz) /// AMP: Onkyo Integra A-817XD /// DAC: Loxjie D10 (Red) /// Speakers: Polk Audio TSi100 /// Mike: Superlux E205U /// Headphones: Sony MDR-XB920 & Koss Pro4AAA Titanium /// Network hardware: TP-Link Archer C9 v.4 main router (with DD-WRT) + D-Link DIR-868L in AP mode (also with DD-WRT)

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Hegel H90 /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

These guys aren't doing that to be dicks to the robots. They're doing it to demonstrate how the robot can adapt to changing circumstances and still do what it's intended to do.

Also, these are robots. They're as bothered by this as a ball is bothered when you bounce it against the wall. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.