Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NyetARussianSpy

Will there ever be Tapatalk support?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Kind of frustrating to use the website on mobile due to potato internet. Tapatalk with XDA was quite nice as an interface and convenient, will there be something like that on the LTT Forums?

 

I believe it is implemented through plugins or modification in the forum software and will avoid the need of a dedicated app altogether.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A while ago i asked if they made a app and they said that it would be alot of development into it and that they said the mobile layout is good enough (IMO, could use a touch up)


I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if Mortis has even looked at it in a while. The reason why it got removed was that Tapatalk had bugs which caused issues on forums backend. And if I understood correctly, Tapatalk didn't acknowledge those bugs, making it even worse developer response than IPS (the forum software devs).


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@LukeTheCoder05, I do not believe that this would require the creation of a seperate app (and that suggesting such is against the subthread rules). The UI is usable, just not having great internet here.

 

@LoGiCalDrm, I don't think that the LTT forum backend was built from the ground up, so is it possible that there is an existing extension that can just be installed and setup? (Haven't touched forums in a while, I can be wrong)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NyetARussianSpy said:

@LoGiCalDrm, I don't think that the LTT forum backend was built from the ground up, so is it possible that there is an existing extension that can just be installed and setup? (Haven't touched forums in a while, I can be wrong)

You misunderstood me. The integration is made with plugin. But plugin was causing issues, so it got disabled. Error was (according to my memory) reported to Tapatalk devs, but they claimed it wasn't their issue, or something like that. So it got disabled for good.

 

Current mobile version is quite good, and you can force browsers to not load images to improve loading times even further.

 

E: Looking back what Mortis has said about the subject, seems like Cloudflare is causing issues with Tapatalk. So idk what there's to be said.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You misunderstood me. The integration is made with plugin. But plugin was causing issues, so it got disabled. Error was (according to my memory) reported to Tapatalk devs, but they claimed it wasn't their issue, or something like that. So it got disabled for good.

 

Current mobile version is quite good, and you can force browsers to not load images to improve loading times even further.

 

E: Looking back what Mortis has said about the subject, seems like Cloudflare is causing issues with Tapatalk. So idk what there's to be said.

Oh, okay - makes sense, seems I did misunderstand. Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tapatalk caused a lot of issues for us (breaking other parts of the site), and from memory it also contained a fairly obvious security vulnerability, so we have no intentions of using it again.


I don't work for Floatplane Media, so any Floatplane comments that I make are my own and may be incorrect or in conflict with the official view.

 

For Floatplane support, please use the wizard linked in this topic

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Tapatalk caused a lot of issues for us (breaking other parts of the site), and from memory it also contained a fairly obvious security vulnerability, so we have no intentions of using it again.

I did not know that, makes sense to abandon Tapatalk. could you suggest ways in making the page load faster on my end (it was recommended to disable images) for slower networks? I'm not a diehard fan of Tapatalk, just in need of way to access the website when outdoors with slow internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Phone web browsers are horrible. Chrome, Safari, Dolphin, Opera, DuckDuckGo etc etc..It isn't hard to implement tapatalk connectivity. How do you think 200,000+ forums use it? Many of them much smaller than this forum.


██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Tapatalk caused a lot of issues for us (breaking other parts of the site), and from memory it also contained a fairly obvious security vulnerability, so we have no intentions of using it again.

@fluxdeity This is why they can't implement it

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

Phone web browsers are horrible. Chrome, Safari, Dolphin, Opera, DuckDuckGo etc etc..

 

Firefox works. Sort of. I can't tag, but haven't had any other issues for a long time. I

 

41 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

It isn't hard to implement tapatalk connectivity. How do you think 200,000+ forums use it? Many of them much smaller than this forum.

Them being smaller might be the reason why it's used. To gain more users. Also they might use other forum software, maybe cheaper or free ones (phpBB, vBulletin etc.). And they aren't so much targeted by salty people. The bigger the target, more issues it gets.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NyetARussianSpy said:

could you suggest ways in making the page load faster on my end (

Try... microsoft edge on mobile actually. I use a non US phone in the US and have extremely limited speeds on mobile. Edge actually seems to do better, and has adblock plus built in...

Link to post
Share on other sites

People still use Tapatalk? I never have issues browsing the forum in Chrome mobile, the aforementioned tagging works fine for me, etc.

Can't say I've tried other browsers.



 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When we had tapatalk it was utter hell to use, mobile site is dope as hell besides the fact that its not a fan of FF mobile


I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of this before.  Sounds like some early 2000s thing that made sense back then but has been rendered obsolete and unnecessary by modern smartphones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Never heard of this before.  Sounds like some early 2000s thing that made sense back then but has been rendered obsolete and unnecessary by modern smartphones. 

There's case to be made about people with shitty mobile connections, or connections at all. Those do still exist. But as mobile browsers have option to disable images, worth of any app just loading website is kinda close to zero.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

Isn't there possible to open source a community made app?

There would still be needed someone to make API. There was one for older version, but as now forum devs team only is Mortis, thats kinda out of seriously considered options. Plus, just normal app isn't going to make any difference. Only if app was directly made to help those on slower connections. So essentially delivering very crude/text only version of forums. Thats only way that bandwidth usage will stay low.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×