Help with dell optiplex 9020

Does anyone know if a dell optiplex 9020 cpu, a i7 4790, would work in a new mobo?

4 minutes ago, Tristan n said:

how did u find out if u can?

it's just a bog standard desktop i7 they bought off intel, it will work with another rig just fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Which mobo do you reccommend which will be compatible with a i7 4790 in a atx case.

41 minutes ago, Tristan n said:

Which mobo do you reccommend which will be compatible with a i7 4790 in a atx case.

Z87 & H97 / Z97 chipset boards seemed to be the favored motherboard

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

Why do you want to swap the board? Is it faulty?

if not you can fit the dell motherboard into a standard atx case and with a few minor adaptions have it work fine. 

If if the board is dead then buy the cheapest 97 chipset you can. You don’t need a Z series as your chip isn’t overxlockable anyway. The dell board is a Q97 which is actually pretty good!

Hey jay it isnt faulty its because i got a mini gtx 1060 because i had a r5 240 which is really bad. And now we have to put everything into a new case but i don't know if we can fit the mobo in.

What sort of adaptations???

so it will be a mATX board that'll fit into any standard ATX case.

the power button is a non-standard layout, you can cut off the original power button cable and connect the wires to a standard power switch. The PSU connectors will be standard (4 pin and 24pin ATX)

the front panel connector will be a pain to re-wire so just live without HDAudio. the USB2 and USB3 headers are standard ones.

The fan connectors are dell 5pin so either use a 5pin->4pin adapter cable form MODDIY.COM or use the standard Dell fans from the dell case.

I did this on my 3770 based optiplex and it was fine. heres a video ScienceStudio did recently: