Can a newer model be worse than an older model?

VirtualBlack

My question is about this two monitors 

1. DELL P2217H (the older model)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260437 

2. DELL P2219H (a newer model) 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACTN8XX6410 

Reading the specs, I found that the P2217H (6 ms) has a lower response time than the P2219H (8 ms) ¿How is this possible?

When I look at the specs the older one is 6ms GTG and the newer one is 5ms GTG. The newer ones specs are a bit better than the older one but to be honest they're both 60hz panels, you could find a 1080p 144hz for not to much more than those. This BenQ is a 24" 1080p Full HD panel with 1ms GTG and a 144hz refreshrate for $40 more dollars, it's bigger and better, the only thing is it's a TN panel which even then isn't a big deal.

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Response-Equalizer-Vibrance-Adjustable/dp/B01H5KKQTM/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=1080p+144hz&qid=1558036533&s=gateway&sr=8-9

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

The gray to gray response times don't really mean anything, every manufacturer tests differently, and you would never notice the difference between 10 or 1ms.

Unless you're looking at a standardized test from a place like rtings you can pretty much ignore the response time.

What is much more important than response time is input lag, and they don't list that in the specs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The gray to gray response times don't really mean anything, every manufacturer tests differently, and you would never notice the difference between 10 or 1ms.

Unless you're looking at a standardized test from a place like rtings you can pretty much ignore the response time.

What is much more important than response time is input lag, and they don't list that in the specs.

you can see 10ms vs 1ms on ghosting?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

9 minutes ago, Neftex said:

you can see 10ms vs 1ms on ghosting?

No, because that number on the specs doesn't mean anything.

The actual pixel response time is likely very different from whatever the manufacturer listed.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No, because that number on the specs doesn't mean anything.

The actual pixel response time is likely very different from whatever the manufacturer listed.

the actual pixel response time may differ, but dont go around saying 1ms vs 10ms isnt noticeable

4 minutes ago, Neftex said:

the actual pixel response time may differ, but dont go around saying 1ms vs 10ms isnt noticeable

It's not.

Those are 60Hz monitors.

The delay between frames is 16ms.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's not.

Those are 60Hz monitors.

The delay between frames is 16ms.

i dont think you understand how refresh rate and response time work together. the response time is pretty much how long it takes to change the last frame into the new one

16 minutes ago, Neftex said:

i dont think you understand how refresh rate and response time work together. the response time is pretty much how long it takes to change the last frame into the new one

You don't know what the manufacturer is basing their measurements on, if it is 100%, 80%, or anything else.

Which means the number they put on the specs is completely useless.

Whether it says 1ms or 10ms means nothing unless you're looking at a proper test from a source like rtings.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/motion-blur-and-response-time

Spoiler

On 5/16/2019 at 2:59 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

When I look at the specs the older one is 6ms GTG and the newer one is 5ms GTG. The newer ones specs are a bit better than the older one but to be honest they're both 60hz panels, you could find a 1080p 144hz for not to much more than those. This BenQ is a 24" 1080p Full HD panel with 1ms GTG and a 144hz refreshrate for $40 more dollars, it's bigger and better, the only thing is it's a TN panel which even then isn't a big deal.

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Response-Equalizer-Vibrance-Adjustable/dp/B01H5KKQTM/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=1080p+144hz&qid=1558036533&s=gateway&sr=8-9

I’m not interested in TN monitors, i know their advantages but I personally prefer better image over refresh rate

On 5/16/2019 at 3:04 PM, Enderman said:

rtings has a review of the P2217H, which  gives the score of 8.2/10 in the section “motion blur” , seems good for me, I think I will buy it 

I haven’t seen that website before, seems very professional and has very in-deep reviews