Modding the power switch

-Ice

I've never done this before so really want to be careful with this.  I'd like to make a secondary/alternative power switch for my PC.  Kind of like this but instead of a trick switch, it'll just be a second power button:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBj02EBj_dQ

I've re-designed my simpit and my case is a bit further away than I'd like so I was thinking of putting a power switch inside the simpit that's more accessible.  I'm thinking just a momentary switch (pushbutton), run the wires through and behind the simpit and to the PC.  However, looking at wires and momentary switches on Amazon and I quickly realize there may be more to this than I've expected.

Do I need a particular gauge or size of wire?

Do I need a specific momentary switch (pushbutton) for this application?

I am also thinking of a connector between the switch (and its wiring) and the PC itself.  The idea is to connect/solder this connector to the PC case's wiring for a permanent connection and then this connector exits out the back of the case where I can easily connect/disconnect the switch as needed, ie for maintenance purposes.  Any ideas for types of connectors I can use?

I'm based in the UK so if anyone can point me to local stores you've bought from or trust, or maybe Amazon, that'll be great!  Any help appreciated!  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, -Ice said:

I've never done this before so really want to be careful with this.  I'd like to make a secondary/alternative power switch for my PC.  Kind of like this but instead of a trick switch, it'll just be a second power button:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBj02EBj_dQ

I've re-designed my simpit and my case is a bit further away than I'd like so I was thinking of putting a power switch inside the simpit that's more accessible.  I'm thinking just a momentary switch (pushbutton), run the wires through and behind the simpit and to the PC.  However, looking at wires and momentary switches on Amazon and I quickly realize there may be more to this than I've expected.

Do I need a particular gauge or size of wire?

Do I need a specific momentary switch (pushbutton) for this application?

I am also thinking of a connector between the switch (and its wiring) and the PC itself.  The idea is to connect/solder this connector to the PC case's wiring for a permanent connection and then this connector exits out the back of the case where I can easily connect/disconnect the switch as needed, ie for maintenance purposes.  Any ideas for types of connectors I can use?

I'm based in the UK so if anyone can point me to local stores you've bought from or trust, or maybe Amazon, that'll be great!  Any help appreciated!  Thanks!

If you want to do two switched you could just put another push button in parallel and put the switch where you want, I can draw you a diagram here later if you want. Or buy the wireless switch that @NunoLava1998 suggested.

You don't need any specific gauge of wire, it's just a signaling switch, it doesn't take any large amount of current. Any momentary push button switch would work

That is insane!  I didn't even know these things were available!  I'll have a look into this to see if I like it but knowing me, my next issue would be losing that controller!

Thank you for the offer of the diagram, please do if nothing but to confirm what I am thinking of.  I'm no expert in wiring or electronics so I need all the help I can get! 

EDIT: after reading up a bit, it seems that it can have some issues with setting up and connectivity so my hardwire idea would still be the most reliable.

17 minutes ago, -Ice said:

That is insane!  I didn't even know these things were available!  I'll have a look into this to see if I like it but knowing me, my next issue would be losing that controller!

Thank you for the offer of the diagram, please do if nothing but to confirm what I am thinking of.  I'm no expert in wiring or electronics so I need all the help I can get! 

EDIT: after reading up a bit, it seems that it can have some issues with setting up and connectivity so my hardwire idea would still be the most reliable.

Alright, I believe this is what you're thinking about, you can use the external one while still preserving the functionality of your cast mounted switch.

External and internal switch design.PNG

Yep, that's it! 

Bump!  Any suggestions on wire gauges and switch?

Thanks!  No need for LED really, I just want a push button switch.  Is the HDD activity light different from the power on/off light? 

1 hour ago, -Ice said:

Thanks!  No need for LED really, I just want a push button switch.  Is the HDD activity light different from the power on/off light? 

Be sure to press the quote button so people are notified of your replies:

image.png.a2b737186a20f04e24eaaf570d084d34.png

And not sure what your question is about the HDD light, but on modern desktops the HDD LED is a different wire that plugs into the board. As in the power, reset, HDD LEDs are all separate cables.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Be sure to press the quote button so people are notified of your replies:

image.png.a2b737186a20f04e24eaaf570d084d34.png

And not sure what your question is about the HDD light, but on modern desktops the HDD LED is a different wire that plugs into the board. As in the power, reset, HDD LEDs are all separate cables.

Thanks for the tip on quoting!  As for the HDD light, I have a corsair carbide 500R case and it has a power button that lights up and below that is a HDD activity light.  I guess my question is what drives the power button light if the power button wire just transmits an on/off signal?

10 hours ago, -Ice said:

Yes the power led is on or off and the HDD's led is always flashing according to his work. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 9:26 AM, -Ice said:

Thanks for the tip on quoting!  As for the HDD light, I have a corsair carbide 500R case and it has a power button that lights up and below that is a HDD activity light.  I guess my question is what drives the power button light if the power button wire just transmits an on/off signal?

I get what your question is, the board has connections for a HDD LED, PWR LED, PWR SW and Reset SW. The LED is powered by a separate set of headers on the motherboard, the switches just send signals telling the main board what to do.