Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NyetARussianSpy

Why does Microsoft not recommend the LTSC version of Windows?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have tried using OS'es like Qubes and found that Linux alternatives for everyday software aren't adequate for my use. I switched away from Windows 10 because of adware and incessant tracking and telemetry, which was frustrating. Every new update brought with it all the Metro Apps that I have deleted earlier and I tried using Windows 7, which doesn't run well on my hardware.

I finally tried using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (with a script to re-arm the trial every 60 days). It has been perfect, no Edge Browser, no metro apps, goodbye Cortana, what more could one ask for? I specifically used LTSC N version, which puts even more restrictions on telemetry. Along with a PowerShell script (https://github.com/Disassembler0/Win10-Initial-Setup-Script), it was controlled as one could expect it to be, perfect for my use.

Why would Microsoft specifically not recommend customers to use LTSC but at the same time have their Professional versions of Windows 10 be filled to the rim with bloatware?

7 minutes ago, NyetARussianSpy said:

Why would Microsoft specifically not recommend customers to use LTSC but at the same time have their Professional versions of Windows 10 be filled to the rim with bloatware?

A few things:

1. LTSC (long term servicing channel) doesn't receive frequent feature updates like consumer versions
  2. No telemetry and no bloatware means less money for Microsoft
  3. They do not license LTSC builds to consumers

That being said, LTSC works great for enthusiasts who want a less bloaty experience. I'm running LTSC with a script that re-adds the Microsoft Store and allows UWP apps to be installed, since I play Forza Horizon 4 which requires it.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270E | Storage: 256GB SSD, 2x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G

Cooling: Dual 240mm AIOs | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C (modified) | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

VR Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB HDD | GPU: GTX 970 Strix (BIOS modded, MSI Twin Frozr cooler) Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler Push/Pull | Case: Silverstone GD09B | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W | HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 with 2 sensors

Server: CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5645 | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333 ECC | Motherboard: Supermicro X8DAi | GPU: Sparkle GTX 550 Ti

Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler, Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | Storage: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M

The Laptops

Lenovo X230: CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 128GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 4000 | Lenovo 44+ 84Wh Battery

MacBook Air (Early 2015, A1466) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5250M | RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 6000

7 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

LTSC (long term servicing channel) doesn't receive frequent feature updates like consumer versions 

I would see that as a cause for celebration. Less frequent annoying reboots, they do receive critical security updates (had to restart my computer recently for that)

No telemetry and no bloatware means less money for Microsoft

Fair enough

They do not license LTSC builds to consumers 

But using an Evaluation is within Microsoft's EULA and is available via TechNet/MSDN (though, using a slightly convoluted program)

I'm running LTSC with a script that re-adds the Microsoft Store and allows UWP apps to be installed, since I play Forza Horizon 4 which requires it. 

Where can I get the script?

3 minutes ago, NyetARussianSpy said:

But using an Evaluation is within Microsoft's EULA and is available via TechNet/MSDN (though, using a slightly convoluted program)

The eula probably says its for eval use only, not as a normal system. Did you read the uela. But if its for a home system, microsoft doesn't really care.

Also ltsc doesn't get any features/driver updates, so newer hardware and software won't work with it. Also reduced app support as its running a old version of windows. And generally less secure, as they don't have as many new security features in lstc.

you want to use ltsc for systems that are set and forget and you don't want any changes, not for desktops with always evolving needs and hardware.

Also you can remove all the telemtry in the normal enterprise version, and you can easily remove the bload with your setup scripts.

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also ltsc doesn't get any features/driver updates, so newer hardware and software won't work with it. Also reduced app support as its running a old version of windows. And generally less secure, as they don't have as many new security features in lstc. 

Automatic driver installations worked for my Graphics Card and WiFi Card without my intervention. The manufacturer will have the updated available anyways for the platform.

you want to use ltsc for systems that are set and forget and you don't want any changes, not for desktops with always evolving needs and hardware. 

Sounds like my setup, don't really update my hardware.

Also you can remove all the telemtry in the normal enterprise version, and you can easily remove the bload with your setup scripts.

Updates overwrite the changes and the script isn't always reliable, comparatively - LTSC is more reliable because the lack of telemetry is the feature behind LTSC.

And generally less secure, as they don't have as many new security features in lstc

Aside from Windows Hello (which I don't use), remaining security features are present (Windows Defender, Virtualization-based security etc.)

2 minutes ago, NyetARussianSpy said:

side from Windows Hello (which I don't use), remaining security features are present (Windows Defender, Virtualization-based security etc.)

They are changing a lot of that under the hood, and newer versions have gotten better.

2 minutes ago, NyetARussianSpy said:

Sounds like my setup, don't really update my hardware.

You probably update your software though? Do you install new games ever?

Automatic driver installations worked for my Graphics Card and WiFi Card without my intervention. The manufacturer will have the updated available anyways for the platform.

Problem is the ltsc won't work with new hardware if you get any.

LTSC is more reliable because the lack of telemetry is the feature behind LTSC.

ltsc isn't made for no telemetry, its made for applications where the os and programs and hardware won't change, it has the normal telemtry as enterprise.

For normal desktop use, just run the normal branch. Thats what its made for.

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You probably update your software though? Do you install new games ever?

Don't really game

ltsc isn't made for no telemetry, its made for applications where the os and programs and hardware won't change, it has the normal telemtry as enterprise.

So, using regular Enterprise N should have about the same? Sounds good!

They are changing a lot of that under the hood, and newer versions have gotten better.

Fair enough!

1 hour ago, NyetARussianSpy said:

I would see that as a cause for celebration. Less frequent annoying reboots, they do receive critical security updates (had to restart my computer recently for that)

Fair enough

Where can I get the script?

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/guide-add-store-to-windows-10-enterprises-sku-ltsb-ltsc.70741/

Just make sure to choose the correct version of the script for your build.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270E | Storage: 256GB SSD, 2x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G

Cooling: Dual 240mm AIOs | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C (modified) | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

VR Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB HDD | GPU: GTX 970 Strix (BIOS modded, MSI Twin Frozr cooler) Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler Push/Pull | Case: Silverstone GD09B | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W | HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 with 2 sensors

Server: CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5645 | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333 ECC | Motherboard: Supermicro X8DAi | GPU: Sparkle GTX 550 Ti

Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler, Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | Storage: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M

The Laptops

Lenovo X230: CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 128GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 4000 | Lenovo 44+ 84Wh Battery

MacBook Air (Early 2015, A1466) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5250M | RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 6000

Windows 10 LTSC is Windows 10 without feature updates or UWP, and with all the settings to configure the OS that Enterprise has. LTSC is also more stable than other Windows 10 editions. In other words, LTSC is the Windows 7 experience in Windows 10.

Microsoft doesn't recommend it because they don't want people disabling data-harvesting and avoiding the Microsoft Store. But, in general, LTSC is a much more suited to every average person's needs than any other edition of Windows 10 is. It's the only edition of Windows 10 that is bearable, in my view.

LTSC licenses can be bought off of eBay for around $5 - $10.