Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aliairstinger

Used Graphics Cards?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey Everyone, so I want to build a mini ITX system under 600 USD  (excluding American tax) for video editing in Da Vinci Resolve 16 and da Vinci Resolve is a GPU dependent. So I was wondering if I should buy used graphics cards or just buy a new Rx 560 and upgrade later. 

 

This is my build currently: 

and these are the used GPUs I've been looking into:

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0T99E2644&ignorebbr=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-RADEON-R9-290-ENR9-4GB-GDDR5-SDRAM-Video-Card-graphics-card/173900176992

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-R9-380X-45-AMD-Radeon-R9-380X-DD-XXX-4GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Video-Card/372565154683

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a mini-itx PC I'd highly suggest you buy a new graphics card. The R9-380X and R9-290 both will dump out a lot of heat and burn a lot more power than a new RX 560. When I built my first PC I made the mistake of buying a Geforce 9800 GX2 dual GPU card instead of a new GTX 750 Ti. Ended up wasting my money on the card then buying a new one anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were you, I'd go with one of these 3 options:

 

  1. If you don't mind a mining card, a used RX470, RX480, RX570, or RX580 would fit your budget nicely. 
  2. For around $100-120, you can buy a brand new RX570 that comes with 2 games. 
  3. Used GTX 970's go for around $80-100. You can find them at /r/hardwareswap, locally, or even on EVGA's website during Midweek Madness. These cards use a lot less power and thus generate less heat and would pair with your build nicely.

Hope this helps and good luck with your upgrade.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The RX 470/570 often goes for that $85 price point or so, that's my recommendation. You'd see similar performance to that 290 or 380x


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aliairstinger said:

Hey Everyone, so I want to build a mini ITX system under 600 USD  (excluding American tax) for video editing in Da Vinci Resolve 16 and da Vinci Resolve is a GPU dependent. So I was wondering if I should buy used graphics cards or just buy a new Rx 560 and upgrade later. 

 

This is my build currently: 

and these are the used GPUs I've been looking into:

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0T99E2644&ignorebbr=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-RADEON-R9-290-ENR9-4GB-GDDR5-SDRAM-Video-Card-graphics-card/173900176992

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-R9-380X-45-AMD-Radeon-R9-380X-DD-XXX-4GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Video-Card/372565154683

 

Even i edit in Adobe Premier, and it actually works well with Nvidia Cards. I have a 1050TI OC edition from Zotac and it helps to accelerate effects that require GPU power. AMD cards also work well. But, I had a RX 470 which i borrowed from my cousin. The 1050TI actually exported a video faster than the RX 470. Im not sure about the 500 series though. But i  would still suggest a nvidia card from the pascal generation as it is more efficient. But, please. Don't buy a r9 380x or a r9 290. They are very power hungry and very hot running cards. Try for a 1060 or a 1050TI in Nvidia or a RX 570 or 560. You minimum need 4gb vram to get the best possible performance in Da vinci. Even if you get a used 1060, you can bargain a little with the seller and get the price down more. The same goes for 1050TI or the radeon cards. At a later stage, if you get the money, upgrade to a RTX series or the 1070ti or 1080. 

Some 1060 mini cards for use on newegg:-

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAG5B7UB6763&Description=1060 mini&cm_re=1060_mini-_-14-500-403-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAEJD7U21184&Description=1060 mini&cm_re=1060_mini-_-9SIAEJD7U21184-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD7H6MS9105&Description=1060 mini&cm_re=1060_mini-_-9SIAD7H6MS9105-_-Product

 

The 3gb 1060 might work but im not sure about it. You might want to cross check it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The RX 470/570 often goes for that $85 price point ot so, that's my recommendation. You'd see similar performance to that 290 or 380x

I think... You're missing... Something ;) 

(on this... ITX based thread...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aliairstinger said:

Hey Everyone, so I want to build a mini ITX system under 600 USD  (excluding American tax) for video editing in Da Vinci Resolve 16 and da Vinci Resolve is a GPU dependent. So I was wondering if I should buy used graphics cards or just buy a new Rx 560 and upgrade later. 

 

This is my build currently: 

and these are the used GPUs I've been looking into:

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0T99E2644&ignorebbr=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-RADEON-R9-290-ENR9-4GB-GDDR5-SDRAM-Video-Card-graphics-card/173900176992

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-R9-380X-45-AMD-Radeon-R9-380X-DD-XXX-4GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Video-Card/372565154683

 

These parts are also good. But if you are more budget oriented then go for the rx 560 or the 1050ti

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137303&Description=1050ti&cm_re=1050ti-_-14-137-303-_-Product

This is a refurbished 1050ti on newegg for $119

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I think... You're missing... Something ;) 

(on this... ITX based thread...)

Missionaries need a break sometimes


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Even i edit in Adobe Premier, and it actually works well with Nvidia Cards. I have a 1050TI OC edition from Zotac and it helps to accelerate effects that require GPU power. AMD cards also work well. But, I had a RX 470 which i borrowed from my cousin. The 1050TI actually exported a video faster than the RX 470. Im not sure about the 500 series though. But i  would still suggest a nvidia card from the pascal generation as it is more efficient. But, please. Don't buy a r9 380x or a r9 290. They are very power hungry and very hot running cards. Try for a 1060 or a 1050TI in Nvidia or a RX 570 or 560. You minimum need 4gb vram to get the best possible performance in Da vinci. Even if you get a used 1060, you can bargain a little with the seller and get the price down more. The same goes for 1050TI or the radeon cards. At a later stage, if you get the money, upgrade to a RTX series or the 1070ti or 1080. 

Some 1060 mini cards for use on newegg:-

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAG5B7UB6763&Description=1060 mini&cm_re=1060_mini-_-14-500-403-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAEJD7U21184&Description=1060 mini&cm_re=1060_mini-_-9SIAEJD7U21184-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD7H6MS9105&Description=1060 mini&cm_re=1060_mini-_-9SIAD7H6MS9105-_-Product

 

The 3gb 1060 might work but im not sure about it. You might want to cross check it. 

the problem with what you just said is that those cards are over $100 and with Da Vinci Resolve, Radeon GPUs perform better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Aliairstinger said:

the problem with what you just said is that those cards are over $100 and with Da Vinci Resolve, Radeon GPUs perform better.

OK. Then you might be better off with a radeon rx 560. You can always buy new and upgrade later.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×