College Laptop for Mechanical Engineering

Hello, I am currently shopping for a laptop for college. Since I am going into an engineering program I will be needing a laptop that can run AutoCAD efficiently. My budget is about $1,300 (USD); however, the cheaper the better. My college's engineering program did provide a recommendation specs list that I will provide below. I know that finding a great gaming laptop would be best but I also would like if it can be a two in one. I also do plan on doing some light gaming like Minecraft and Apex but I do not plan on going to ultra in the setting. Does anyone know of what would be good for me to look at?

Recommended Specs list

CPU Intel i5/i7 or AMD equivalent
Pen-enabled (for tablets)
RAM: 8GB of RAM or higher
Display (recommended minimum resolution of 1920x1080 for 16:9 or 16:10 screens, 1600x900 for 4:3 screens)
Hard Drive 250GB+ Solid State Drive or 500GB+ Hard Disk drive
Operating System Windows 10
32 GB USB Memory/Flash Key
Communications 802.11n/ac Wi-Fi high-speed wireless LAN (built-in)

PS: I did go and look at a few laptops before posting here and was wondering if anyone who might have either of these laptops could tell me how well they perform and if they would recommend them. Pictures will be provided below.

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

AutoCAD will run on a pentium. It's 2D design. Even if you're doing renders on a 3d modelling software it's still CPU intensive, not GPU, so I would just emphasize getting a solid CPU

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

16 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

AutoCAD will run on a pentium. It's 2D design. Even if you're doing renders on a 3d modelling software it's still CPU intensive, not GPU, so I would just emphasize getting a solid CPU

The man wants to use it for gaming as well, so he'll probably want a dedicated GPU.

Edited by YoFavRussian
OP Edited the post saying that he wanted a GPU

17 minutes ago, Portato said:

Hello, I am currently shopping for a laptop for college. Since I am going into an engineering program I will be needing a laptop with a graphics card in order to run AutoCAD and more. My budget is about $1,300 (USD); however, the cheaper the better. My college's engineering program did provide a recommendation specs list that I will provide below. I know that finding a great gaming laptop would be best but I also would like if it can be a two in one. I also do plan on doing some light gaming like Minecraft and Apex but I do not plan on going to ultra in the setting. Does anyone know of what would be good for me to look at?

Recommended Specs list

CPU Intel i5/i7 or AMD equivalent
Pen-enabled (for tablets)
RAM: 8GB of RAM or higher
Display (recommended minimum resolution of 1920x1080 for 16:9 or 16:10 screens, 1600x900 for 4:3 screens)
Hard Drive 250GB+ Solid State Drive or 500GB+ Hard Disk drive
Operating System Windows 10
32 GB USB Memory/Flash Key
Communications 802.11n/ac Wi-Fi high-speed wireless LAN (built-in)

PS: I did go and look at a few laptops before posting here and was wondering if anyone who might have either of these laptops could tell me how well they perform and if they would recommend them. Pictures will be provided below.

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

Between these two the Lenovo does have a more powerful GPU at I'm going to assume is a 1080P screen. The Dell has a lower end GPU with a 4K screen, not that you'll be playing games in 4K, but it will make the experience a little nicer. I've had experiences with both Dell and Lenovo consumer grade laptops. They both seems to be well build if you get one with a semi-metallic frame.

I'd advice looking up reviews on both of these models though.

I don't have a specific model, but as a fellow engineer DON'T GET A GAMING LAPTOP. Buy something with a good CPU and thunderbolt. You don't wanna haul that beast around.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

3 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

Between these two the Lenovo does have a more powerful GPU at I'm going to assume is a 1080P screen. The Dell has a lower end GPU with a 4K screen, not that you'll be playing games in 4K, but it will make the experience a little nicer. I've had experiences with both Dell and Lenovo consumer grade laptops. They both seems to be well build if you get one with a semi-metallic frame.

I'd advice looking up reviews on both of these models though.

Thank you, for the recommendation. If anything I would only have the 4k screen for watching Youtube and maybe Vrv. I'll be honest I am not the most technologically knowledgable person. Thank you for your help.

1 minute ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I don't have a specific model, but as a fellow engineer DON'T GET A GAMING LAPTOP. Buy something with a good CPU and thunderbolt. You don't wanna haul that beast around.

Yes, backpack real estate is a very big concern of mine considering I would also need to haul textbooks. 

Just now, LukeLinusFanFic said:

He does say that he would like to use it for gaming as well, which he will want a dedicated GPU for. There are laptops with dedicated GPUs that are still light and portable, not too sure about the thermals on those laptops though.

31 minutes ago, Portato said:

There's always the XPS 15 9570. Comes with a 8750H as opposed to the 8565U that's probably in those laptops. Does compromise storage and RAM (only a little though) but you're getting 6C/12T in budget.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9570-laptop/dycwb1653h

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely look into this. Right now the only thing that it doesn't fill from my "Wants" list is two-in-one capabilities. While it does have a touchscreen it doesn't seem to fold all the way back into a tablet position, which is what I am mostly looking for. That being considered, I will definitely add this to my compare list. Thanks again.

47 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

The man wants to use it for gaming as well, so he'll probably want a dedicated GPU.

totally missed that part. My apologies. In that case I'd go for the lenovo

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

If you are in the states, assuming from USD budget, there might be memorial day (may 26th) sales coming up soon to see if there are any suggestions from anyone who knows what is up with laptop specs (not me) that look appealing :)

39 minutes ago, Portato said:

Yes, backpack real estate is a very big concern of mine considering I would also need to haul textbooks. 

It is my understanding ryzen has better integrated graphics than intel, so maybe a 2500U or 2700U? I am also looking for a new laptop and have setteled on one with either on these, I think 2700U is ~10% better cpu and graphics performance

1 minute ago, HarrisonCassidy said:

If you are in the states, assuming from USD budget, there might be memorial day (may 26th) sales coming up soon to see if there are any suggestions from anyone who knows what is up with laptop specs (not me) that look appealing :)

Yes, I am in the States. Honestly, thank you for reminding me. Memorial day totally slipped my mind. 

4 minutes ago, Portato said:

Yes, I am in the States. Honestly, thank you for reminding me. Memorial day totally slipped my mind. 

Tried to edit my last post but I think this reply stopped it for some reason:

Edit: There is also something about it needing dual channel memory for the above cpu's to work optimally.

I did pick up https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834324036&Description=huawei 2500U&cm_re=huawei_2500U-_-34-324-036-_-Product a few days ago for 540 USD (shipped to family member in the states) but am considering returning it for https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834847159&ignorebbr=1&fbclid=IwAR0CbXUDm3mUsLhljMgxWR888pZVUlU0zmXJqMb35I7220TJ7tHWVIR-d-U 

It is just a shame I cannot actually get a feel for them right now :(

16 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

totally missed that part. My apologies. In that case I'd go for the lenovo

You didn't miss it, he messaged me and said it wasn't in the post when you commented XD. And I agree, the Lenovo definitely has the better GPU.

How does this compare to the Lenovo from the original post?

BAC6AB53-13AB-4203-B17D-848BCF9C3351.jpeg

10 hours ago, Portato said:

about $1,300 (USD)

Buying laptops isn't just specs

Location? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Buying laptops isn't just specs

Location? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

I don't really have a set max weight. As for battery life, I am unsure, maybe 12 hours at least if possible. (If it exists, I typically have the brightness on lowest settings anyway to prolong battery life.)

On 5/18/2019 at 12:05 AM, Portato said:

maybe 12 hours at least if possible

>7 hrs is more realistic, OK with it?

Also, mind low sRGB display and non-upgradable RAM?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128