Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The.GVS

What can I do with a 3ds XL?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey, I have an old 3ds, I'm more of a PC guy and don't know much about Nintendo consoles. I had a PSP 3000 and installed a cfw on it for playing games off an ISO file. Can anything similar be done on 3ds?

yes... but i would get too deep into piracy (homebrew in this case), so i can't talk about it...

PSU Tier List 4.0 (UPDATED)//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Seasonic Focus issues//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3500 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)  PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: C2D E8400  RAM: 2x2+2x1 gb DDR3   HDD: 4x Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI 1TB   PSU: Acbel 320w 80+ gold

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8460p

Spoiler

CPU: I5-2540m  GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+4GB 1333 mhz DDR3   SSD: mx500 250gb  Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

you can do a lot of fun stuff once you go homebrew, like using it as a controller or streaming games to it over wifi(works pretty shit if you dont have the new version) but thats not really something we can discuss on here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

There are some nice Zelda, Fire Emblem, Mario and Dragon Quest Games on 3DS.

And also some other games as well.

A remake of the Wii Xenoblades for example.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

You could... use it as a paper weight, or a door stop perhaps?

Make some straps out of tape and make yourself a puppet. Wacka wacka.

Try spinning it on a corner to see how top like it is.

There are some homebrew applications out there for 3DS machines nowadays, but I don't know anything about ROMs.. I mean there are obviously emulators out there so people probably got games to play on there some way.. But I wouldn't know.

I know on the original DS there was a homebrew application that made it so you could backup your own legally bought games, so they can be used in other ways, like on flash carts that may or may not be legal where you live.

The thing I would find most helpful about homebrew is the ability to play games from other regions (the 3DS console, as opposed to all the Gameboys and DS consoles prior) is actually region locked, meaning you can't play Japanese games on an American unit, etc.

CFW on a PSP is pretty easy to achieve, but I believe it is much more difficult on 3DS (I am pretty sure, at least back in the day, you had to get a game with some exploit in it to perform the homebrew, which made the game skyrocket in price).

But I am pretty sure there are simpler ways to do it now, like with the browser there are some things possible.

But again, I wouldn't really know what is possible to do with those homebrew softwares..

What I can say is that there are indeed some really fun games for the 3DS (and DS!) platform, including:

- Pokemon (X and Y was okay, ORAS was fun if you played RSE back in the day and Sun, Moon, etc. I don't have more than two hours into, disliked those personally)

- Mario (3D Land is a game some people like to dislike, but I really liked it!)

- The games listed by Stefan Payne are also very good.

15 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Isn't Xenoblade only for the New 3DS (XL). OP mentioned they had an old 3DS XL, but maybe they specifically meant 'Old' as opposed to 'New', or they meant they have an old New 3DS XL laying around..

Thanks for the naming scheme Nintendo..

Don't forgot the quote / @ me so I get a notification for your response. Quoting is the arrow button in the bottom left of my post.

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

Y O U C A N B E A D D I C T E D T O A C E R T A I N K I N D O F S A D D N E S S

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

"There's something wrong with the brain in my skeleton!!"

Gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

PSU: Corsair RM750x ||

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Mouse: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

18 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Don't forget the 真女神転生 series.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

Isn't Xenoblade only for the New 3DS (XL). OP mentioned they had an old 3DS XL, but maybe they specifically meant 'Old' as opposed to 'New', or they meant they have an old New 3DS XL laying around..

Thanks for the naming scheme Nintendo..

That is true, its for the new 3DS, regardles if its an old new 3DS or new new 3DS ;)

I got a new new 3DS XL Samus Aran Edition froma  local dealer!!11

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Don't forget the 真女神転生 series.

True, absolutely. Should maybe get one of those and/or look for it...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 5/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, Stefan Payne said:

True, absolutely. Should maybe get one of those and/or look for it...

On a side note, I have been reading Heisig's book on learning the meanings and writing the joyo kanji, and it's nice to see how one could actually read that name:

真 means true, has on yomi: シン (katakana for shin)

女 means woman, with kun yomi: め (hiragana for me)

神 means gods, with kun yomi: かみ (hiragana for kami, not sure what rule changes it to がみ eg gami in 女神)

So 女神 = goddess [[woman+gods]] (megami)

転 means revolve or change, has on yomi: テン (katakana for ten)

生 means life or birth, has on yomi: セイ (katakani for sei)

So 転生= transmigration of souls [[revolve+birth/life]] aka metempsychosis (tensei)

So 真女神転生 = true goddess metempsychosis. I'm a nerd, I got a kick out of finally understanding that kanji for the name of my favorite dungeon crawler series lol. Every piece of that kanji is in Heisig's book.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C