What can I do with a 3ds XL?

Hey, I have an old 3ds, I'm more of a PC guy and don't know much about Nintendo consoles. I had a PSP 3000 and installed a cfw on it for playing games off an ISO file. Can anything similar be done on 3ds?

yes... but i would get too deep into piracy (homebrew in this case), so i can't talk about it...

you can do a lot of fun stuff once you go homebrew, like using it as a controller or streaming games to it over wifi(works pretty shit if you dont have the new version) but thats not really something we can discuss on here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

There are some nice Zelda, Fire Emblem, Mario and Dragon Quest Games on 3DS.

And also some other games as well.

A remake of the Wii Xenoblades for example.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

You could... use it as a paper weight, or a door stop perhaps?

Make some straps out of tape and make yourself a puppet. Wacka wacka.

Try spinning it on a corner to see how top like it is.

#Muricaparrotgang

There are some homebrew applications out there for 3DS machines nowadays, but I don't know anything about ROMs.. I mean there are obviously emulators out there so people probably got games to play on there some way.. But I wouldn't know.

I know on the original DS there was a homebrew application that made it so you could backup your own legally bought games, so they can be used in other ways, like on flash carts that may or may not be legal where you live.

The thing I would find most helpful about homebrew is the ability to play games from other regions (the 3DS console, as opposed to all the Gameboys and DS consoles prior) is actually region locked, meaning you can't play Japanese games on an American unit, etc.

CFW on a PSP is pretty easy to achieve, but I believe it is much more difficult on 3DS (I am pretty sure, at least back in the day, you had to get a game with some exploit in it to perform the homebrew, which made the game skyrocket in price).

But I am pretty sure there are simpler ways to do it now, like with the browser there are some things possible.

But again, I wouldn't really know what is possible to do with those homebrew softwares..

What I can say is that there are indeed some really fun games for the 3DS (and DS!) platform, including:

- Pokemon (X and Y was okay, ORAS was fun if you played RSE back in the day and Sun, Moon, etc. I don't have more than two hours into, disliked those personally)

- Mario (3D Land is a game some people like to dislike, but I really liked it!)

- The games listed by Stefan Payne are also very good.

15 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Isn't Xenoblade only for the New 3DS (XL). OP mentioned they had an old 3DS XL, but maybe they specifically meant 'Old' as opposed to 'New', or they meant they have an old New 3DS XL laying around..

Thanks for the naming scheme Nintendo..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Don't forget the 真女神転生 series.

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

Isn't Xenoblade only for the New 3DS (XL). OP mentioned they had an old 3DS XL, but maybe they specifically meant 'Old' as opposed to 'New', or they meant they have an old New 3DS XL laying around..

Thanks for the naming scheme Nintendo..

That is true, its for the new 3DS, regardles if its an old new 3DS or new new 3DS ;)

I got a new new 3DS XL Samus Aran Edition froma  local dealer!!11

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Don't forget the 真女神転生 series.

True, absolutely. Should maybe get one of those and/or look for it...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 5/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, Stefan Payne said:

True, absolutely. Should maybe get one of those and/or look for it...

On a side note, I have been reading Heisig's book on learning the meanings and writing the joyo kanji, and it's nice to see how one could actually read that name:

真 means true, has on yomi: シン (katakana for shin)

女 means woman, with kun yomi: め (hiragana for me)

神 means gods, with kun yomi: かみ (hiragana for kami, not sure what rule changes it to がみ eg gami in 女神)

So 女神 = goddess [[woman+gods]] (megami)

転 means revolve or change, has on yomi: テン (katakana for ten)

生 means life or birth, has on yomi: セイ (katakani for sei)

So 転生= transmigration of souls [[revolve+birth/life]] aka metempsychosis (tensei)

So 真女神転生 = true goddess metempsychosis. I'm a nerd, I got a kick out of finally understanding that kanji for the name of my favorite dungeon crawler series lol. Every piece of that kanji is in Heisig's book.