Paint is getting an update!

LukeSavenije

Sources: @AluminiumTech, Windowscentral

Microsoft Paint was about to be killed not that long ago, to fade away in future Windows 10 Updates. However, after a healthy amount of support from fans, it received a new lease on life, and now Microsoft is preparing to bring some fresh new features to it.

In a new blog post this week, Brandon LeBlanc of the Windows Insider team announced that Paint will get new accessibility features in the Windows 10 May 2019 Update. The main addition is that keyboard controls will be added as a "primary input mechanism," giving those who may have difficulty with mouse or touch inputs an alternative.

With a keyboard set as the primary control setup, you'll be able to use the arrow keys to move the on-screen cursor and the spacebar to activate tools. Holding control and using the arrow keys will let you move the canvas. A number of other controls will be available as well, including using tab to scroll through nine control points and a combination of shift and tab to cycle in counter-clockwise order on control points.

Finally, LeBlanc promised general enhancements to the way paint interacts with screen readers such as Windows Narrator, saying some users "might find [improve] their over their overall experience with the app."

These new features will ship in Microsoft Paint with the upcoming Windows 10 May 2019 Update.

Thoughts? PAINT IS BACK

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

Microsoft Paint was about to be killed not that long ago, to fade away in future Windows 10 Updates. However, after a healthy amount of support from fans, it received a new lease on life, and now Microsoft is preparing to bring some fresh new features to it.

Thoughts? PAINT IS BACK

My thoughts are basically saying, interesting, I haven't used paint for a really long time, but if it's getting some love I might go have a look at it 

It's good to see Microsoft actually listening to people and updating instead of just killing it.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Thoughts? PAINT IS BACK

It was never gone on my windows Machine, and it seems already ‘new’ (might be the 12 years gap between my last windows machine and now)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I do use Paint every single day at the office... Windows 10 that already had it would keep it the "kill it" part would only apply to new versions of Win10 installed fresh new... either ways this is great news.

Microsoft seems to still "try", that's very welcome.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Paint.NET has been in my toolbox for years. I do all my image work in it and it's great. GIMP may be more powerful but god it's clumsy to use where Paint.NET is compact, straightforward and still very powerful.

53 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Paint.NET has been in my toolbox for years. I do all my image work in it and it's great. GIMP may be more powerful but god it's clumsy to use where Paint.NET is compact, straightforward and still very powerful.

Yeah, I tried twice, though didn't try very hard both times, to use gimp and left with still not knowing exactly how to use it. Seems clumsy to me as well.

Don't talk to me until Paint can handle layer transparencies.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Don't talk to me until Paint can handle layer transparencies.

What are you on about? I'm pretty sure there is a control for this under the Layers toolbox (not on my system so I could check this moment).

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

What are you on about? I'm pretty sure there is a control for this under the Layers toolbox (not on my system so I could check this moment).

Layers toolbox?

1.PNG.84541ba61a795e37ce34a738b56c3cd4.PNG

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

is that made with the beta? o_o

nope. normal Windows 10 paint. i hated myself like 20% of the way in.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Princess Luna said:

I do use Paint every single day at the office... Windows 10 that already had it would keep it the "kill it" part would only apply to new versions of Win10 installed fresh new... either ways this is great news.

Microsoft seems to still "try", that's very welcome.

Same here, quick screen shot edits are a god send in Paint. I would be lost without it.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

I find this great because I've always used Paint at school, and that I'm probably getting a new Win10 PC in September, I would love to see Paint on it.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Well not too unexpected we've seen they updated Notepad and other so, good. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Thoughts? PAINT IS BACK

Seriously though - if they added layers to Paint (even leaving everything else as is), that'd be a fucking awesome upgrade.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

With a keyboard set as the primary control setup, you'll be able to use the arrow keys to move the on-screen cursor and the spacebar to activate tools. Holding control and using the arrow keys will let you move the canvas

so wait, it's like paint back in early windows days where people sometimes didn't have mice?

yes, i must download this right now...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Seriously though - if they added layers to Paint (even leaving everything else as is), that'd be a fucking awesome upgrade.

Yes and no. IMHO, the only appeal of Paint is its simplicity. If you start adding layers to the program then you'll confuse/annoy the bulk of the Paint user base. But if you can somehow elegantly hide the "Layers" feature then it might work. 

19 hours ago, Arika S said:

nope. normal Windows 10 paint. i hated myself like 20% of the way in.

Look at the guy then:

21 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Thoughts? PAINT IS BACK

good news for that girl who applied for my job two years ago that listed MS Paint among the relevant software she had experience with! \o/

5 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Yes and no. IMHO, the only appeal of Paint is its simplicity. If you start adding layers to the program then you'll confuse/annoy the bulk of the Paint user base. But if you can somehow elegantly hide the "Layers" feature then it might work. 

Look at the guy then:

Good point, but I can't imagine it would be difficult.

Just have an "advanced" menu, and a checkbox that says "Enable layers".

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Are Microsoft just bored? As they seem to be killing things off for the sake of it, for example how they are killing snipping tool off. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

47 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

Are Microsoft just bored? As they seem to be killing things off for the sake of it, for example how they are killing snipping tool off. 

To be fair, they are replacing it with a newer version to match the aesthetic of Windows 10. I'm okay with that, as long as it has all the original functionality and usefulness.

On top of that, they said they're looking for feedback on keeping the old tool, and aren't getting rid of it anytime soon.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:34 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Thoughts? PAINT IS BACK

Move the cursor with a keyboard? I had a BBC Micro that could do that. Wow, 30 years later, and the coders at MS figure it out. XD