Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jackalovski

"Your margins are pretty small" Error

Posted · Original PosterOP

This seems like it should have been fixed with a quick google search but multiple searches are not turning up anything useful. 

Because I'm printing page headers that have graphics on them, MS Word interprets that as something to print that's hanging over the side of the document and it's annoying that every time, every day after pressing print it warns me that my margins are too small and not all the information will print.  

It prints fine, every time because there's nothing actually there to print, just the blank part of a text box.

Google searches are telling me that it's set by the printer and not MS word but seriously, there must be a registry hack that lets me just disable this error and let me print without having to confirm it each and every time. 

Running windows 7 Pro SP1

Printer is a Brother HL-3140CW

the printer defines the printable margin area, but it's Word that warns you of the margin crossing.

there's possibly a workaround, but it involves using VBS macros in word

do not install scripts without verifying its function. if you're unsure, consult someone who knows VBS and verify that it's safe to apply.

also you might find issues if certain elements share the same function (e.g. certain unrelated dialog boxes that you actually want to see can be skipped as well)

try one of the following. remember to delete the VBS macro if the first doesn't work

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/how-to-get-rid-of-the-your-margins-are-pretty/71d27fd0-fcca-4dfa-8702-2284f74080cc?page=1

Sub FilePrintDefault()
    Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsNone
    ActiveDocument.PrintOut
    Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsAll
End Sub

or

https://www.thedoctools.com/word-macros-tips/word-macros/print-without-margins-warning/

Sub Print_ShowNoMarginsWarning_DoNotShowPrintDialog()
    With Application
        'Turn off DisplayAlerts
        .DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsNone

'Print document
        'Background print must be turned off to prevent message
        .PrintOut Background:=False

'Turn on DisplayAlerts again
        .DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsAll
    End With
End Sub

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/create-or-run-a-macro-c6b99036-905c-49a6-818a-dfb98b7c3c9c

Write a macro from scratch in Visual Basic

1. On the Developer tab, in the Code group, click Macros.

2. In the Macro name box, type a name for the macro.

Note: If you give a new macro the same name as a built-in macro in Word, the new macro actions will replace the built-in macro. To view a list of built-in macros, click Word Commands in the Macros in list.

3. In the Macros in list, click the template or document in which you want to store the macro.

To make your macro available in all documents, be sure to click Normal.dotm.

4. Click Create to open the Visual Basic Editor.

After you open the Visual Basic Editor, you may want more information about working with Visual Basic for Applications. For more information, click Microsoft Visual Basic Help on the Help menu or press F1.