Ram upgrade help

are you sure? cause i'm afraid the pc can read it.

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

most ram should work

Look in CPU-Z to tab "SPD". There you will find memory type number, speed etc. With pre-builds from DELL, HP and other OEMs. can be problem with RAM compatibility, they are using their own motherboards design and are messing with the compatibility on purpose. So try to find HP memory sticks.

Watch this Linus video at time 9:15 he is referring to it. 

Also you can use "Alt+PrintScreen" to catch only the active window (in this case CPU-Z) and not whole windows background.

You could buy another 4GB stick of DDR3 RAM and install it in addition to your existing RAM, but I would personally buy a used pair of 8GB sticks (totaling 16GB) and replace your current one.

It SHOULD work, and if it doesn't, you can easily resell the RAM.

RAM is tough and relatively safe to buy used.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

9 minutes ago, DatDrawingBoi said:

normally as long as you get the same timing and clock, everything should work just fine

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

normally as long as you get the same timing and clock, everything should work just fine

With normal board from ASUS, MSI etc. it is basicaly no problem, the board will adjust speed and timing automatically for both sticks to work together.

But look at the Linus video I posted. OEM pc upgrade can be problematical, if you do not use their original parts especially RAM. Had the problem myself.  

7 minutes ago, sopen said:

But look at the Linus video I posted. OEM pc upgrade can be problematical, if you do not use their original parts especially RAM. Had the problem myself.  

and I have like... 6 oem pc's and 12 laptops, and had more

never had a problem with ram whatshowever

4 hours ago, chckovsky said:

You could buy another 4GB stick of DDR3 RAM and install it in addition to your existing RAM, but I would personally buy a used pair of 8GB sticks (totaling 16GB) and replace your current one.

It SHOULD work, and if it doesn't, you can easily resell the RAM.

RAM is tough and relatively safe to buy used.

But still, can I put a different ddr3 4gb stick?

29 minutes ago, DatDrawingBoi said:

But still, can I put a different ddr3 4gb stick?

Because some OEMs put certain restrictions on these things, I can't guarantee it will work. I did this to an old acer prebuilt machine and it worked fine. If you had a standalone motherboard it would have shocked me if this didn't work.

Normally, it should work fine. But as mentioned several times in this thread, OEMs can be cruel and their motherboards dumb.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4