San Francisco bans city use of facial recognition software

Jtalk4456

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/us/facial-recognition-ban-san-francisco.html

TL:DR - San Francisco is the first city to ban city use of facial recognition software, which is a major step towards privacy and security

The action, which came in an 8-to-1 vote by the Board of Supervisors, makes San Francisco the first major American city to block a tool that many police forces are turning to in the search for both small-time criminal suspects and perpetrators of mass carnage.

it has been used for good before, but seeing the crap facebook has been pulling along with all the security leaks and vulnerabilities lately, I can agree the potential for abuse is very high. 

Aaron Peskin, the city supervisor who sponsored the bill, said that it sent a particularly strong message to the nation, coming from a city transformed by tech.

“I think part of San Francisco being the real and perceived headquarters for all things tech also comes with a responsibility for its local legislators,” Mr. Peskin said. “We have an outsize responsibility to regulate the excesses of technology precisely because they are headquartered here.”

Image result for clapping gif

“It is ridiculous to deny the value of this technology in securing airports and border installations,” said Jonathan Turley, a constitutional law expert at George Washington University. “It is hard to deny that there is a public safety value to this technology.”

i think it's hard to deny there is a potential risk to public safety from this technology, but i can see where he's coming from. 

For those screaming, "but what about airports??"

The facial recognition fight in San Francisco is largely theoretical — the police department does not currently deploy such technology, and it is only in use at the international airport and ports that are under federal jurisdiction and are not impacted by the legislation.

Some local homeless shelters use biometric finger scans and photos to track shelter usage, said Jennifer Friedenbach, the executive director of the Coalition on Homelessness. The practice has driven undocumented residents away from the shelters, she said.

Essentially it's a forward thinking proposal meant to prepare for the future and how technology will impact everything. I think we need a lot more of this forward thinking in our world. Technology is here, and the uses and breadth to which it extends into every part of our lives are growing exponentially.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

*violently waves my California Republic flag*

We've seen what China has become with facial recognition and a near total surveillance state. I'd rather not have that happen here in the US thank you very much.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If I understood correctly, this only applies for government and authorities, not for private companies. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

San Fran is so poorly run that while this is a good trend to start, I also don't trust anyone involved in this. Still, it'll be interesting to see where this goes. 

Just now, VegetableStu said:

how about private security companies? or those needing to comply with footage requests from law enforcement? o_o kinda curious

right now it's just government use. But this will be an interesting conversation later on

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

If I understood correctly, this only applies for government and authorities, not for private companies. 

Well yeah, if it applied to private companies you wouldn't be allowed to use FaceID.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

9 hours ago, Fez_Boy said:

Well yeah, if it applied to private companies you wouldn't be allowed to use FaceID.

apple to oranges. FaceID isnt used in this manner.

Not saying it cant, it just isnt ..... yet.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I never understood why people trusted fingerprint scanners and facial recognition technology. Hell, there is even software that can pick up your voice out of a crowd. This kind of software is incredibly innovative, but way to easily abused.