Looking to buy a good gaming monitor

kukamba
Go to solution Solved by AverageTechGuy,

I would honestly disagree with the above statement. You said you play fast paced gamnes so you really arent going to notice how good the picture looks. why waste graphics power when you can use that power for more FPS. If it were me i would get the best bang for the buck. for fast paced gaming your monitor should check the following boxes. 

1ms response time

minimum 144hz (240hz preffered but pricey)

Gsync or freesync is a must ( depends on what bran gpu you have )

anything else is just gravy on them taters. 

check those boxes and i promise you that you wont be disappointed. i personally like the look of the ASUS monitors. Never been a fan of Dell/alienware. 

Also just looked up that ASUS monitor before submitting my reply, dude go for that one for sure. that thing is a beast. you definitely wont be disappointed. 

Hey all you could say that im looking for the best monitor for gaming i can get. I play multiplayer games that are fast pace like csgo and so on. I have been working my way down to 2 monitors that other people would say is the best and i would love your opinion and if you have other monitors in mind i would love to hear so.

monitor 1: Asus rog swift pg258q

monitor 2: Alienware aw2518hf

(id like to say that the looks also play a role and budget would be around the same price as the listet monitors)

I would Also like to know if invidia gpu's support AMD freesync?

honestly you shouldnt go with either of these. 1080p is nearly out dated now with qhd hitting 165+hz easily. the only reason i can thin you would want to stick with 1080p is if your gpu cant handle better, in which case you should upgrade that first. You can get a killer 165hz gsync for 5-600, freesync for 450-550 and they would be better in the long run as most will tell you 27in qhd is the sweetspot. anything higher resolution is wasted pixels as you wont notice it, and sacrificing resolution to 1080p for framerate is no longer needed unless $100 dollars is a deal breaker. I'd suggest. one of these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-bmiprz-2560x1440/dp/B06ZXZ3QBD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=acer+predator+1440&qid=1558059871&s=pc&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-PG278QR-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01N4ENDXR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=1440p&qid=1558059955&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547807011%2Cp_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin%3A17726574011|17726576011&rnid=17726572011&s=pc&sr=1-2

I would honestly disagree with the above statement. You said you play fast paced gamnes so you really arent going to notice how good the picture looks. why waste graphics power when you can use that power for more FPS. If it were me i would get the best bang for the buck. for fast paced gaming your monitor should check the following boxes. 

1ms response time

minimum 144hz (240hz preffered but pricey)

Gsync or freesync is a must ( depends on what bran gpu you have )

anything else is just gravy on them taters. 

check those boxes and i promise you that you wont be disappointed. i personally like the look of the ASUS monitors. Never been a fan of Dell/alienware. 

Also just looked up that ASUS monitor before submitting my reply, dude go for that one for sure. that thing is a beast. you definitely wont be disappointed. 

What dude said is true, however it’s null if your gpu can’t push the frames. Just look into the gpu/monitor pair benchmarks on your favorite games to avoid disappointment.

I'm gonna hijack this guy's thread instead if starting a new one since it's the same topic...

I'm looking to get a 27-32", 1440p, HDR, 100-165Hz max, freesync/gsync gaming monitor and I feel pretty lost looking around online.  Building a new PC so no graphics card picked yet, want to choose a monitor first.

My reasoning:  I play mainly EVE Online and/or other MMO's and I think HDR would really be noticable in the dark space backgrounds and colorful game scenes.  I think 1440p is the best compromise for screen real estate and framerate for these kind of games.  I also like to play some FPS games but not at a level where I care about 240Hz refresh rates, but being able to solve screen tearing with adaptive sync would be nice. At that resolution I'm not going to hold steady framerates when the scene is rapidly changing.

Anyone have any recomendations?

On 5/17/2019 at 5:28 PM, Foo022 said:

I'm gonna hijack this guy's thread instead if starting a new one since it's the same topic...

I'm looking to get a 27-32", 1440p, HDR, 100-165Hz max, freesync/gsync gaming monitor and I feel pretty lost looking around online.  Building a new PC so no graphics card picked yet, want to choose a monitor first.

My reasoning:  I play mainly EVE Online and/or other MMO's and I think HDR would really be noticable in the dark space backgrounds and colorful game scenes.  I think 1440p is the best compromise for screen real estate and framerate for these kind of games.  I also like to play some FPS games but not at a level where I care about 240Hz refresh rates, but being able to solve screen tearing with adaptive sync would be nice. At that resolution I'm not going to hold steady framerates when the scene is rapidly changing.

Anyone have any recomendations?

Aorus AD27QD

Pixio PX276h

Both of these fit your description i believe. this was just the result of a quick newegg search though. there is probably more option on amazon or something. The first monitor is gonna be the best best if you can afford it. The second one fits the need, but is a lesser known brand and may result in inferior quality. I didn't check out the peak brightness for either of the monitors but as i'm sure you've seen in linus's videos the brighter the monitor the better for the best HDR experience if that is what your'e after. I wouldn't personally go with a TN panel because the color accuracy and picture quality is just so inferior to IPS from what iv'e seen. I personally just learned this the hard way lol. With getting a monitor this pricey though just make sure you have the graphics card to take full advantage of the capabilities of the monitor. for 2k i personally have seen that basically a gtx 1080 or above is necessary. a regular 1080 will get you 60fps but if you want higher frames you're going to need a TI version of that from what iv'e seen.