Fan kicked into to overdrive when i plug in second monitor

MichaelK03

So i was fixing some resolution and opening on the wrong monitor Problems for Doom I was having any part of me fixing it unplugging my second monitor. I got everything fixed and thought things are all good now when i went to go plug in my second monitor it kicked i think my GPU fan into overdrive is what it sounded like and I could feel hot air coming out so I panicked and just hard shut off my PC. I tried to plug it in again but I got the same result what is happening. Also, my monitor is VGA going into a VGA to HDMI adapter to my GPU if thats helpful.   

23 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It's normal for a video card to get warmer after plugging in a second monitor because the GPU now has to do stuff for both monitors. But it shouldn't seem like it's going to burst into flames 

i know it will get warmer but my fans right now I can't hear them at all before the issue I couldn't either everything is fine but when I plug the monitor in now the fan just goes crazy. should i just plug it in and see if the fan stops in a few seconds or what?

47 minutes ago, MichaelK03 said:

So i was fixing some resolution and opening on the wrong monitor Problems for Doom I was having any part of me fixing it unplugging my second monitor. I got everything fixed and thought things are all good now when i went to go plug in my second monitor it kicked i think my GPU fan into overdrive is what it sounded like and I could feel hot air coming out so I panicked and just hard shut off my PC. I tried to plug it in again but I got the same result what is happening. Also, my monitor is VGA going into a VGA to HDMI adapter to my GPU if thats helpful.   

If you have two monitors, you are doubling the framebuffer load on the GPU when you plug in an additional monitor. This tends to be a non-issue unless you have a weaker GPU. So I'd consider it normal unless you have a VGA to HDMI, or VGA to DVI adapter, or any passive Displayport adapter plugged in as well. In some situations (particularly laptops) simply having the adapter plugged in causes a "sense" activation on the port, so the OS sees a monitor attached and can't determine if it should be on or off. 

You should be using the operating system or display driver software on the computer to change the resolution. If you hot-plug a monitor, it has to re-initialize the graphics driver, so there will be a brief spin-up of the GPU and CPU fans in some cases while it "installs" the monitor again.

If you think it's suddenly overheating, run GPU-Z and check what happens when you plug it in.