Windows 10 update just flashed my bios

Hi guys i am new to this forum so hopefully this first post will be useful to anyone who has the same query.

I recently booted up my asus gl503ge laptop after a week away from home and as expected there were a bunch of updates from this month's patch tuesday. After the update was done i restarted and checked for updates again. Then a weird firmware update came up and started downloading. This was marked as from Asustek(find images in attachment below). I got another restart notification and after clicking it my laptop restarted into the uefi bios and started updating it. I was confused as this was the first time this ever happened. I always assumed that firmware updates were only for surface laptops but has windows update also started providing bios firmware for third-party oems like asus now. I thought it was a virus or some kind of attack but after checking asus site and scanning with antivirus (bitdefender) i cant find any traces of malware activity. Is this some new undocumented feature of windows update and has anyone else gotten it or am i some kinda guinea pig ?

IMG_20190515_234052.jpg

IMG_20190515_233344.jpg

Screenshot_20190515-233513.png

Edited by Kindachris
General spelling correction. Sorry on mobile.

MSI got it also.

I would suggest, if you dont have any issues don't update the bios

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

MSI got it also.

I would suggest, if you dont have any issues don't update the bios

Hi thanks for the reply. Really didn't intend for a bios update. I assumed it was some driver update but was taken aback when ezflash booted up and started flashing the new bios. I guess this is some new feature of windows updates. Looked around on google but couldn't find any kind of new article suggesting that this was some new windows update feature.

Just now, Kindachris said:

Hi thanks for the reply. Really didn't intend for a bios update. I assumed it was some driver update but was taken aback when ezflash booted up and started flashing the new bios. I guess this is some new feature of windows updates. Looked around on google but couldn't find any kind of new article suggesting that this was some new windows update feature.

It's possible there was some kind of critical bug in the BIOS, thus warranting the update.

I am unsure however.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

It's possible there was some kind of critical bug in the BIOS, thus warranting the update.

I am unsure however.

Couldnt find changelog for the update just the generic stability and security update blurb

Just now, Kindachris said:

Couldnt find changelog for the update just the generic stability and security update blurb

Hmmm..

check perhaps (I don't use Win10, so again, guessing here) your update options and see if you've subscribed to all of them, or just critical stuff

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Maybe it's due to the Zombieload exploit, just get every machine possible updated.

21 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Maybe it's due to the Zombieload exploit, just get every machine possible updated.

Yes that sounds plausible. Only weird thing is the signature is from 2018. Then again the private disclosure was probably done then and the fix was with Microsoft in testing and was probably just released to coincide with all the other bug fixes now that the exploits are disclosed publicly.

28 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hmmm..

check perhaps (I don't use Win10, so again, guessing here) your update options and see if you've subscribed to all of them, or just critical stuff

Subscribed to all updates. Including other Microsoft products. Guess this is a part of the Zombieload fix as Curious Pineapple stated below.

Edited by Kindachris
Spelling again

Came across this yesterday. Turns out there is a legit mechanism for Uefi updates via windows update. So Oems like Asus are now able to update firmware of the Uefi Bios directly from Windows Update instead of us having to manually flash it via a pendrive.

Hope this helps anyone else who has the same moment of panic and confusion I did ?

Links to new update mechanism from Microsoft:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/bringup/windows-uefi-firmware-update-platform

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/updating-device-firmware-using-windows-update

Ya, not sure about MS updating my bios.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR