Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skipple

Running Ethernet in my house and need a switch

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have no issue running the Ethernet itself, but I have no idea what to get when it comes to a switch. 

 

I found this switch on my local Craiglist: https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d/providence-foundry-networks-fls624/6883403763.html

 

    New In Box Foundry Networks FLS624 - switch - 24 ports - managed
    Subtype - Gigabit Ethernet
    Ports - 24 x 10/100/1000 + 4 x shared SFP + 3 x XFP

 

Is this any good to use? It looks like this model was made in 2000 and the company was bought out in 2008..... No idea if that will impact anything at all. Any reason I shouldn't get this? Should I get something newer?

Any advise for a first timer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the price. You didn't mention the price.

Do you need 24 ports?

Do you need SFP ports (no benefit, would have been nice to have SFP+ for 10gbps) and XFP is also kinda useless (transceivers are expensive and not many devices are compatible with it)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Depends on the price. You didn't mention the price.

Do you need 24 ports?

Do you need SFP ports (no benefit, would have been nice to have SFP+ for 10gbps) and XFP is also kinda useless (transceivers are expensive and not many devices are compatible with it)

 

Sorry, should have posted that. It's literally only $30. Dirt cheap.  Nope, I don't need any of that. I could possibly in the future be running over 10 ports in my house. Anything beyond that would be extra. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skipple said:

Sorry, should have posted that. It's literally only $30. Dirt cheap.  Nope, I don't need any of that. I could possibly in the future be running over 10 ports in my house. Anything beyond that would be extra. 

Are you comfortable with managing a switch and configuring it via CLI?


Current Build Log:

Prior Build Log:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Are you comfortable with managing a switch and configuring it via CLI?

An unconfigured managed switch simply becomes an unmanaged switch ;)

 

I am a bit worried about the price tho. $30 for an 24G+4 Dual personality SFP sounds cheap. Really cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Acedia said:

An unconfigured managed switch simply becomes an unmanaged switch ;)

 

I am a bit worried about the price tho. $30 for an 24G+4 Dual personality SFP sounds cheap. Really cheap.

You hope it becomes unmanaged and that ports don't end up shutdown by default or you don't need to run any initial configs to get it up and running.


Current Build Log:

Prior Build Log:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, Lurick said:

You hope it becomes unmanaged and that ports don't end up shutdown by default or you don't need to run any initial configs to get it up and running.

I love to learn, so I more than likely would end up managing it in the future. The ad say new in box so I am assuming it is unconfigured right now

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skipple said:

I love to learn, so I more than likely would end up managing it in the future. The ad say new in box so I am assuming it is unconfigured right now

I would start by seeing what you need to configure it out of the box then, usually that requires a console cable for the specific device. If it's a truly new box then it should have something inside for that but you might need a DB-9 serial to USB adapter of some sort. Other thing is try to find a config guide for the switch itself so you can start reading over the basics and getting a feel for the CLI.


Current Build Log:

Prior Build Log:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 2:08 PM, Skipple said:

I have no issue running the Ethernet itself, but I have no idea what to get when it comes to a switch. 

 

I found this switch on my local Craiglist: https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d/providence-foundry-networks-fls624/6883403763.html

 

    New In Box Foundry Networks FLS624 - switch - 24 ports - managed
    Subtype - Gigabit Ethernet
    Ports - 24 x 10/100/1000 + 4 x shared SFP + 3 x XFP

 

Is this any good to use? It looks like this model was made in 2000 and the company was bought out in 2008..... No idea if that will impact anything at all. Any reason I shouldn't get this? Should I get something newer?

Any advise for a first timer?

Do you need a managed switch?

If not, just buy a TP-Link Gigabit switch from Newegg or Amazon for like $20.

 

How many ports do you need?


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×