Running Ethernet in my house and need a switch

Skipple

I have no issue running the Ethernet itself, but I have no idea what to get when it comes to a switch. 

I found this switch on my local Craiglist: https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d/providence-foundry-networks-fls624/6883403763.html

New In Box Foundry Networks FLS624 - switch - 24 ports - managed
    Subtype - Gigabit Ethernet
    Ports - 24 x 10/100/1000 + 4 x shared SFP + 3 x XFP

Is this any good to use? It looks like this model was made in 2000 and the company was bought out in 2008..... No idea if that will impact anything at all. Any reason I shouldn't get this? Should I get something newer?

Any advise for a first timer?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Depends on the price. You didn't mention the price.

Do you need 24 ports?

Do you need SFP ports (no benefit, would have been nice to have SFP+ for 10gbps) and XFP is also kinda useless (transceivers are expensive and not many devices are compatible with it)

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Depends on the price. You didn't mention the price.

Do you need 24 ports?

Do you need SFP ports (no benefit, would have been nice to have SFP+ for 10gbps) and XFP is also kinda useless (transceivers are expensive and not many devices are compatible with it)

Sorry, should have posted that. It's literally only $30. Dirt cheap.  Nope, I don't need any of that. I could possibly in the future be running over 10 ports in my house. Anything beyond that would be extra. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

2 hours ago, Skipple said:

Sorry, should have posted that. It's literally only $30. Dirt cheap.  Nope, I don't need any of that. I could possibly in the future be running over 10 ports in my house. Anything beyond that would be extra. 

Are you comfortable with managing a switch and configuring it via CLI?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Are you comfortable with managing a switch and configuring it via CLI?

An unconfigured managed switch simply becomes an unmanaged switch ;)

I am a bit worried about the price tho. $30 for an 24G+4 Dual personality SFP sounds cheap. Really cheap.

12 minutes ago, Acedia said:

An unconfigured managed switch simply becomes an unmanaged switch ;)

I am a bit worried about the price tho. $30 for an 24G+4 Dual personality SFP sounds cheap. Really cheap.

You hope it becomes unmanaged and that ports don't end up shutdown by default or you don't need to run any initial configs to get it up and running.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16 hours ago, Lurick said:

You hope it becomes unmanaged and that ports don't end up shutdown by default or you don't need to run any initial configs to get it up and running.

I love to learn, so I more than likely would end up managing it in the future. The ad say new in box so I am assuming it is unconfigured right now

ask me about my homelab

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

I love to learn, so I more than likely would end up managing it in the future. The ad say new in box so I am assuming it is unconfigured right now

I would start by seeing what you need to configure it out of the box then, usually that requires a console cable for the specific device. If it's a truly new box then it should have something inside for that but you might need a DB-9 serial to USB adapter of some sort. Other thing is try to find a config guide for the switch itself so you can start reading over the basics and getting a feel for the CLI.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/15/2019 at 2:08 PM, Skipple said:

I have no issue running the Ethernet itself, but I have no idea what to get when it comes to a switch. 

I found this switch on my local Craiglist: https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d/providence-foundry-networks-fls624/6883403763.html

New In Box Foundry Networks FLS624 - switch - 24 ports - managed
    Subtype - Gigabit Ethernet
    Ports - 24 x 10/100/1000 + 4 x shared SFP + 3 x XFP

Is this any good to use? It looks like this model was made in 2000 and the company was bought out in 2008..... No idea if that will impact anything at all. Any reason I shouldn't get this? Should I get something newer?

Any advise for a first timer?

Do you need a managed switch?

If not, just buy a TP-Link Gigabit switch from Newegg or Amazon for like $20.

How many ports do you need?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)