Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
code99

Monitor calibration

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, i've bought an Acer XB1 Predator monitor (1440p, 144hz, 27" IPS) and everywhere that i read they say the monitor needs to be calibrated.

Now, as a gamer (this monitor is only used for gaming), do I need to calibrate the monitor or is this only for designers?

Without tools such as colorimeters, is there a way for me to calibrate my monitor?

Im totally new to this whole calibration thing but I do want my monitor to show colors as accurately as possible.

for gaming, the colors will be good enough. You only really need to worry about calibrating a monitor if you do any type of content creation to ensure color accuracy. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"The Angry Cup o` Joe" v2.0

Ryzen 1800x @ 4.0ghz | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 32gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Phantex Enthoo Evolv | Custom front cover from mnpctech.com | Custom Top cover from Modmymods.com

EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans | Cablemod 30cm RGB LED strip

5 minutes ago, code99 said:

Now, as a gamer (this monitor is only used for gaming), do I need to calibrate the monitor or is this only for designers?

Unless the colors are grossly off, you only need to calibrate it if you're doing any serious media work. Games can override the color profile used on your monitor so anything you do may be thrown out the window anyway.

5 minutes ago, code99 said:

Without tools such as colorimeters, is there a way for me to calibrate my monitor?

I use this website http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/, in combination with the Windows "Calibrate display color" utility (look that up in Start search) as a starting point.

Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Unless the colors are grossly off, you only need to calibrate it if you're doing any serious media work. Games can override the color profile used on your monitor so anything you do may be thrown out the window anyway.

I use this website http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/, in combination with the Windows "Calibrate display color" utility (look that up in Start search) as a starting point.

Tbh i cant tell if they are off or not (the colors i mean) ... 

I think ill let this on default for now.

I may look into getting a colorimeter sometime in the future just for kicks.

Thank you both for your replies!  @Mira Yurizaki @Skiiwee29