Upgrade for 2500k

Go to solution Solved by KING OF THE DIRTY DANS,

Youre going to need a new Motherboard if youre upgrading

Save up for Zen 2 

Im looking for a new cpu to replace my 2500k. My budget is under 200 usd. I would prefer to buy it from amazon as i have a giftcard. It will pair up with my R9 fury and im aiming for around 144fps at 1080p on medium/high settings. Any suggestions?

Save up for Zen 2 

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

Ryzen 2600x seems pretty good, but if you want intel, i5 9400F

Just now, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Save up for Zen 2 

I'd follow his advice, but if you absolutely need it now... do mine

1 minute ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Save up for Zen 2 

Yes i understand that. I can source a motherboard elsewhere, i just want to use my giftcard.

Just now, Duckster said:

I'd follow his advice, but if you absolutely need it now... do mine

Those two, 1700x and 8350k was what i was looking at. Which would you say is the best?

Just now, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

What ever 3rd gen R5 is then

I guess ill just wait and see.

Just now, PacketMan said:

i7 2600K? I saw one for around 70€ a while back

The performance increase is tiny.

2 minutes ago, 1Gigabyte said:

The performance increase is tiny.

Depends on what you're doing and why you feel the need to upgrade

In modern games it takes them from a stuttering mess on the 4/4 to a mostly smooth experience on the 4/8.

Either way I think the goal of 144fps on $200 budget is unrealistic.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, 1Gigabyte said:

Those two, 1700x and 8350k was what i was looking at. Which would you say is the best?

you know, actually the 1700x is a good option

3 hours ago, Duckster said:

you know, actually the 1700x is a good option

Kinda... Doesn't include a stock cooler, so there's more spending. 

All in all a 1600 for savings, or a 2600X for the pricing is the way to go.

21 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Kinda... Doesn't include a stock cooler, so there's more spending. 

All in all a 1600 for savings, or a 2600X for the pricing is the way to go.

i have aready got a nhd15 se am4 which im using with lga115x adapter so cooler is no problem at all.

Just now, 1Gigabyte said:

i have aready got a nhd15 se am4 which im using with lga115x adapter so cooler is no problem at all.

So then we ask: are you going to overclock the CPU, or are you wanting to run stock?

30 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

So then we ask: are you going to overclock the CPU, or are you wanting to run stock?

I oc'd my 2500k so i dont see why i wouldnt with my new one.

3 minutes ago, 1Gigabyte said:

I oc'd my 2500k so i dont see why i wouldnt with my new one.

Sweet! The 1700X is a significant step up in core clock from the 1700, so if you weren't OCing, it's a clear winner.

When you're overclocking, it still technically beats the 1700, but the victory is much less significant.

The same could be said of a 1600 vs 1600X, 2600 vs 2600X, etc.

So my advice is that if you're going to OC, just grab the non X variant if there is a good savings.

Further if it's just for gaming, the 1700 really only offers a small benefit over the 1600 since the number of cores isn't as important as the clock speeds on a single core.

Thus if it's a solid pricing difference a cheap R5 1600 vs a pricier R7 1700X may be a better buy.

16 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Sweet! The 1700X is a significant step up in core clock from the 1700, so if you weren't OCing, it's a clear winner.

When you're overclocking, it still technically beats the 1700, but the victory is much less significant.

The same could be said of a 1600 vs 1600X, 2600 vs 2600X, etc.

So my advice is that if you're going to OC, just grab the non X variant if there is a good savings.

Further if it's just for gaming, the 1700 really only offers a small benefit over the 1600 since the number of cores isn't as important as the clock speeds on a single core.

Thus if it's a solid pricing difference a cheap R5 1600 vs a pricier R7 1700X may be a better buy.

On amazon us the 1700 is more expensive than the 1700x due to the cooler im guessing so i think ill just go for the 1700x. Thanks for the reply.

You're extremely limiting yourself with Amazon. They'll have everything you need but the deals aren't always there. Here's what I would get if I were you and buying today.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3914805

Best deal in the past 2 weeks for a CPU/mobo. If you don't have a Microcenter, this is it.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/Corsair-Vengeance-LPX-8-GB-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C15-Desktop-Memory-Kit-Black-2-pack/10680836686480237540_1607134934574184164_125181302

Use promo code MAYSAVE19 at checkout (first time customers only) and get this kit for $64. 

EDIT: looks like the old kit for $64 has sold out. DDR4 prices have been going down like crazy in the past few weeks though and you can get a 16GB 3200 kit for $70 easily.

You're welcome.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:40 PM, byzrk said:

You're extremely limiting yourself with Amazon. They'll have everything you need but the deals aren't always there. Here's what I would get if I were you and buying today.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3914805

Best deal in the past 2 weeks for a CPU/mobo. If you don't have a Microcenter, this is it.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/Corsair-Vengeance-LPX-8-GB-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C15-Desktop-Memory-Kit-Black-2-pack/10680836686480237540_1607134934574184164_125181302

Use promo code MAYSAVE19 at checkout (first time customers only) and get this kit for $64. 

EDIT: looks like the old kit for $64 has sold out. DDR4 prices have been going down like crazy in the past few weeks though and you can get a 16GB 3200 kit for $70 easily.

You're welcome.

Both are not avaliable for me.