Help with CCNA

Bitcolbyin

Could anyone shoot me in the right direction. 

Having difficulties with subnetting and learning CLI due to a lack of hands on equipment. 

Not in school, but I have a lot of free time at work. :P

The concept of submerging is not too difficult to grasp watch enough videos on it and practice and you'll get the hang of it. Like what was already stated, packet traces will get you realistic experience with cisco routers and switches.

15 hours ago, Acedia said:

Try getting your hands on Packet Tracer and a few IOS files. IIRC it's behind a paywall. It's been a long while since I did my CCNA.

GNS3 is also an alternative.

awesome!! thank you

Honestly I’d buy an old switch off eBay and just use that, any old layer3 switch will do as long as it’s not so old it runs catos!

however when it comes to passing the exam you really don’t need any hands on experience it’s all very hypothetical. And infact often hands on can harm you as for the practical sections you have to solve them using certain commands that in the real world you wouldn’t bother with and you’d just do a ‘show run’

as for subnetting, again practical doesn’t really help it’s all maths. Best advise anyone ever fave me is learn how to draw out a grid of subnetting like a cheat sheet. Then the first thing you do when you get into the exam is draw out your cheat sheet and use that to look up all the answers for the rest of the exam!

On 5/17/2019 at 11:10 AM, Jay Deah said:

Honestly I’d buy an old switch off eBay and just use that, any old layer3 switch will do as long as it’s not so old it runs catos!

however when it comes to passing the exam you really don’t need any hands on experience it’s all very hypothetical. And infact often hands on can harm you as for the practical sections you have to solve them using certain commands that in the real world you wouldn’t bother with and you’d just do a ‘show run’

as for subnetting, again practical doesn’t really help it’s all maths. Best advise anyone ever fave me is learn how to draw out a grid of subnetting like a cheat sheet. Then the first thing you do when you get into the exam is draw out your cheat sheet and use that to look up all the answers for the rest of the exam!

what i needed to hear