Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kokomo

Are these numbers worth upgrading to?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi 

On my current connection i have 12 up and 1 down i think and if i upgraded to fibre optic it would go upto around 26-36 and 5-7 i just wanted to know would i see a big difference? And if it would be worth the price think it would be an extra £10.

 

Thanks 


Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kokomo said:

Hi 

On my current connection i have 12 up and 1 down i think and if i upgraded to fibre optic it would go upto around 26-36 and 5-7 i just wanted to know would i see a big difference? And if it would be worth the price think it would be an extra £10.

 

Thanks 

You can see what download speed you're likely to get by going to bt.com or whatever to check. For instance I get approx 69-71 download and 16 upload with plusnet, and with BT I get the same but better upload speed as actual speeds. But they will tell you a minimum you're likely to recieve, but often will be better than that in actual usage.


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

 

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kokomo said:

Hi 

On my current connection i have 12 up and 1 down i think and if i upgraded to fibre optic it would go upto around 26-36 and 5-7 i just wanted to know would i see a big difference? And if it would be worth the price think it would be an extra £10.

 

Thanks 

Depends if you need the speed or not.  Are you hitting buffering issues when trying to stream multiple feeds?

 

Do you download or upload a lot and want to reduce the time needed?

 

Or just want a faster experience?

 

I would say it's worth it, for that price.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

Depends if you need the speed or not.  Are you hitting buffering issues when trying to stream multiple feeds?

 

Do you download or upload a lot and want to reduce the time needed?

 

Or just want a faster experience?

 

I would say it's worth it, for that price.

I download alot of stuff and also we sometimes have buffering issues occasionally 


Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kokomo said:

I download alot of stuff and also we sometimes have buffering issues occasionally 

There's your answer :)


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

You can see what download speed you're likely to get by going to bt.com or whatever to check. For instance I get approx 69-71 download and 16 upload with plusnet, and with BT I get the same but better upload speed as actual speeds. But they will tell you a minimum you're likely to recieve, but often will be better than that in actual usage.

Hi 

I did check on bt through the upgrade page and the numbers i said is what they would think i would get the minimum was 20 i think.


Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×