Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Humbug

Rage 2 PC performance benchmarks

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

 

Rage 2 is a singleplayer FPS game with an open world and vehicular combat thrown in. Developed by Avalanche Studios and id software it's the sequel to 2011's Rage. According to PC gamer the combat and shooter mechanics are the strong points of the game with the story and world building being nothing special.

 

"Rage 2 is a magnificent first-person shooter, but brutal, tactile weapons like that beastly combat shotgun are just one piece of the puzzle. As you locate and crack open more Arks, which are found scattered around the open world, you unlock forgotten fragments of technology which grant you what are, essentially, superpowers. Some of these are pretty understated, such as a gravity-defying double jump or the ability to float in mid-air for a few seconds while aiming your weapon. But others are much more dramatic."

 

The new game uses the Avalanche game engine and Vulkan graphics API. Whereas the 2011 game was built on id tech and openGL.

 

https://www.pcgamer.com/rage-2-system-requirements-benchmarks-and-performance-analysis/

 

Minimum

  • OS: Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 (64-Bit versions)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 3GB or AMD R9 280 3GB
  • Storage: 50 GB available space

Recommended

  • OS: Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 (64-Bit versions)
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB or AMD Vega 56 8GB
  • Storage: 50 GB available space

GPU benchmarks

(click the images to expand if unclear)

The game seems to favour GPUs based on Nvidia Turing and AMD GCN architectures.

 

For medium Settings 1080p 60fps you want a GTX 970 / 1650 or higher.

zTEDYmQviy55Cd434wfszF.png

 

For ultra settings 1080p 60fps a GTX 1060 or Radeon RX 570 will do the job. A GTX 1080ti or RTX 2070 if you want 120fps maxed out at 1080p.

DfC7W4GWV7Yh3N4DXwxhzF.png

 

For 60Hz 1440p Ultra pick a Vega 56 or GTX 1080. Only the RTX 2080ti gets near 120fps averages with everything maxed out at 1440p. However dropping to medium settings will net you a big fps boost on any GPU.

2Ehw4zhKZRUHnx3iWv8N8G.png

 

Only the RTX 2080ti delivers 60fps at 4K maxed out.

prZceSp2Wbr7DijxZoiH6G.png

 

 

 

CPU benchmarks

 

The use of a modern graphics API (Vulkan) has been able to keep CPU bottlenecks to a minimum. The i3 is noticeably slower at medum settings due to the lack of threads but the gap closes at higher settings. 

 

FrP2XMja2JgFZFSkficoj-650-80.png

 

LtKToVewF2gz6eJ3xFRDk-650-80.png

 

fk9ANSGnrHxezFjxQYZTo-650-80.png

 

SS37rcjJ5XBSc4oYzDcXq-650-80.png

 

**********

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Seems they put resources into optimization inszead of quality content. 

 

https://opencritic.com/game/7123/rage-2

Eh, not a glowing recommendation. 

 

Performs well tho, gotta give it that.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is allot of pop-in. Especially while driving.
And overall I don't think it looks that great either. Character models look pretty bad (except for mutants for some reason). Models in general are fairly undetailed. Textures still look drab and sometimes blurry.

 

There are some good effects though. Explosions and dust effects look great.

From playing I don't notice any significant upgrade in quality from Doom(2016).

Which ran well... but also looked good. This doesn't really for a game in 2019.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 minutes ago, Feranoks said:

Textures still look drab and sometimes blurry.

 

They really should have included higher resolution textures. Since VRAM usage is very modest at the currently available highest texture settings, they had more room to play with.

 

vram.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Feranoks said:

There is allot of pop-in. Especially while driving.
And overall I don't think it looks that great either. Character models look pretty bad (except for mutants for some reason). Models in general are fairly undetailed. Textures still look drab and sometimes blurry.

 

There are some good effects though. Explosions and dust effects look great.

From playing I don't notice any significant upgrade in quality from Doom(2016).

Which ran well... but also looked good. This doesn't really for a game in 2019.

I feel we should keep in mind that the game released today/yesterday


Pc Specadoodles:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200

motorbored: ASRock B450 Steel Legend

Graphics: MSI Armor RX 470

Memeory-Rams: 8GB DDR4 Viper Patriot 2400

HDD: 1 TB Hitachi Mechanical

SSD’s: 256GB 860 EVO, 128GB 850 PRO

PheadHones: Logitech G430's

Keybored: Logitech G413 Carbon

Moose: Steelseries Rival 110

Monitor: 1600x900 21.5 " Gateway monitor. Running at 1080p

PSU: 700W ThermalTake Smart RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites

See see r5 2600 is all i need!
On a more dutch gamegroup the game is met with dissapointment so far ...
hear hear

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grockle88 said:

I feel we should keep in mind that the game released today/yesterday

Yeah, always the asterisk that the game is newly released, because releasing unfinished shit is the way of things now.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Yeah, always the asterisk that the game is newly released, because releasing unfinished shit is the way of things now.

I’m fine with the game looking maybe a bit potato, as long as it actually works, especially for an initial release


Pc Specadoodles:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200

motorbored: ASRock B450 Steel Legend

Graphics: MSI Armor RX 470

Memeory-Rams: 8GB DDR4 Viper Patriot 2400

HDD: 1 TB Hitachi Mechanical

SSD’s: 256GB 860 EVO, 128GB 850 PRO

PheadHones: Logitech G430's

Keybored: Logitech G413 Carbon

Moose: Steelseries Rival 110

Monitor: 1600x900 21.5 " Gateway monitor. Running at 1080p

PSU: 700W ThermalTake Smart RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

See see r5 2600 is all i need!
On a more dutch gamegroup the game is met with dissapointment so far ...
hear hear

Best part is your AM4 motherboard has a clear upgrade path when you eventually do need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Best part is your AM4 motherboard has a clear upgrade path when you eventually do need it.

yea your completely right... in about 5 years the ryzen 3000 series will still look mighty interesting...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Christiaan21-03 said:

yea your completely right... in about 5 years the ryzen 3000 series will still look mighty interesting...

You're going to upgrade to a 5 year old CPU?

 

There will be much more out there then, and while the concept of AM4 compatibility for generations is neat... in reality most people are going to upgrade full systems in the future anyway.

 

It's good for those folks who got in with the first gens and now want to drop in the new stuff, but if you have a 2600 for example.... you're good for years.  Then you'll get a new setup not a 1 gen jump to the 3xxx level. 


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
45 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

yea your completely right... in about 5 years the ryzen 3000 series will still look mighty interesting...

Gaming builds for gamers (not benchmark junkies) are about having a fast GPU and a decent CPU that does not hold it back too much.

 

Back in the day I had an Athlon 64 socket 939 build with a 3000+ CPU. I kept it for a long time and eventually got a geforce 9600gt GPU. So Years Later I changed to a 4000+ CPU for cheap.

 

Was it the latest and greatest?  Nope

Did it greatly improve my min fps and alleviate stutters? Absolutely, it allowed me to use that build for another two years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jstudrawa said:

You're going to upgrade to a 5 year old CPU?

 

There will be much more out there then, and while the concept of AM4 compatibility for generations is neat... in reality most people are going to upgrade full systems in the future anyway.

 

It's good for those folks who got in with the first gens and now want to drop in the new stuff, but if you have a 2600 for example.... you're good for years.  Then you'll get a new setup not a 1 gen jump to the 3xxx level. 

Yeah AM4 will only receive one more generation, the 4000 series, and then there will probably be a new socket and chipset, because of DDR5, USB4 and other new features. They promised new releases until 2020, so yeah.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah, my computer is exactly the recommended settings. Now if only the screenshot for the Ultra 1080p benchmarks wasn't too tiny to read. :D

 

I liked the first Rage game, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this one as well. However, with only the estimated 10-15 hours to beat, it's definitely not worth the retail price.

 

Can anyone tell me if the multiplayer is any good, or even played?


Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Hah, my computer is exactly the recommended settings. Now if only the screenshot for the Ultra 1080p benchmarks wasn't too tiny to read. :D

 

I liked the first Rage game, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this one as well. However, with only the estimated 10-15 hours to beat, it's definitely not worth the retail price.

 

Can anyone tell me if the multiplayer is any good, or even played?

It doesn't have multiplayer, also it's 10-15 hours on easy and just for the story missions and essentially finishing it as quickly as possible, the game including side missions and random encounters is about 60+ hours on easy to 100% it, and even after that it's still playable, there will be singleplayer DLC and the random encounters are pretty fun and are pretty common, the harder difficulties will take a bit longer to beat. 


Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3 Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

 

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Hah, my computer is exactly the recommended settings. Now if only the screenshot for the Ultra 1080p benchmarks wasn't too tiny to read. :D

 

I liked the first Rage game, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this one as well. However, with only the estimated 10-15 hours to beat, it's definitely not worth the retail price.

 

Can anyone tell me if the multiplayer is any good, or even played?

On a similar genre vein... are the system requirements for Borderlands 3 out yet?

 

I was hoping Rage 2 would tide me over, I'm getting antsy for B3.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

You're going to upgrade to a 5 year old CPU?

 

There will be much more out there then, and while the concept of AM4 compatibility for generations is neat... in reality most people are going to upgrade full systems in the future anyway.

 

It's good for those folks who got in with the first gens and now want to drop in the new stuff, but if you have a 2600 for example.... you're good for years.  Then you'll get a new setup not a 1 gen jump to the 3xxx level. 

something like the 3700 will be on my mind though and certainly if it has a single core speed of atleast 4,7 ghz   ... I'm currently awaiting navi .. curious to see how the system will react with such a gpu on board.... i do agree with you, don't get me wrong... Most games i'm playing seem to put a load on the cpu between 10 and 30 % still... with a 1060 3 gb i just seem to be out of reach of preferable settings for a couple of inches. that's where my thoughts about upgrading to another cpu in x years stems from.
 


Just like Humbug tells here :

6 hours ago, Humbug said:

Gaming builds for gamers (not benchmark junkies) are about having a fast GPU and a decent CPU that does not hold it back too much.

 

Back in the day I had an Athlon 64 socket 939 build with a 3000+ CPU. I kept it for a long time and eventually got a geforce 9600gt GPU. So Years Later I changed to a 4000+ CPU for cheap.

 

Was it the latest and greatest?  Nope

Did it greatly improve my min fps and alleviate stutters? Absolutely, it allowed me to use that build for another two years.

 
have i a similair story to tell.
bought an i7 920 end 2007 switched systems end 2018!
it did see more then 4 different gpu's though ... something nvidia , gtx 770 , gtx 1050 Ti and a gtx 1060 3GB ;)

Some of those more luxury strategy titles all seem to have in common that they direct their users into the 9900k + 2080Ti and 128Gb's of ram direction :)

Atleast i feel pushed everytime i have some weird stutter or a.i. behaviour with a system supposedly under 20% load

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Derangel said:

Its single-player only.

😮 

 

But but but... Rage 1 had multiplayer. Why would they just drop it for no reason? :(

2 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

It doesn't have multiplayer, also it's 10-15 hours on easy and just for the story missions and essentially finishing it as quickly as possible, the game including side missions and random encounters is about 60+ hours on easy to 100% it, and even after that it's still playable, there will be singleplayer DLC and the random encounters are pretty fun and are pretty common, the harder difficulties will take a bit longer to beat. 

Sounds good, thanks. 


Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×