HELP! Freezes with SSD + HDD

Full specs:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k

GPU: GTX 1070

Mobo: Asus z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz

PSU: Coolermaster v550

SSD: Samsung EVO 850

2XHDD: WD Blue (1 bought 3 years ago with everything else, 1 bought few months ago)

So my problem is, that when running games from the HDDs(both of them) games will freeze randomly for like 0.5-1 sec, whole screen will freeze so for example in CS:GO i might walk to a corner and maybe because someone will be on the other end, i freeze and when screen comes back i'm already dead.

In other games it happens during some sudden changes in the environment or during the beginning of the game(some minigames i play).

I tested all my drives, ran extended tests on both my hdds with WD data lifeguard and also checked with crystaldisk. I also tried disabling sleep mode, editing the registry so the LPM state is set to active, and also tried a solution about ssd being disabled with registry inputs again.

This problem started really early when i bought my computer but i didn't mind since it didn't happen as often as now, i have upgraded to windows 10 since then thinking it might solve the problem but there was no change whatsoever.

Problem kinda got worse when i installed the second HDD which makes me wonder about the psu maybe?

I also ran a memtest ( 1 pass extended) which found no errors.

Thing is every topic i found is about either possibly damaged HDD or faulty ssd, tho when i run games installed in ssd(even the games previously mentioned) freeze won't occur.

Other info that might be relevant is that, when i bought my pc, i had a buzzing sound with my psu, i returned it, guy said it was coil whine. Thing is i had my pc plugged in a cheap power strip. so when i powered up my computer(button on the back) electricity in the room would go down and i had to manually reopen it. The same buzzing sound happens now when i'm in game and for any reason i alt tab, while moving the mouse i hear the same exact sound.

Hi @VAILANTER,

Do you have any cable extensions attached to your PSU?

Also, you could check the condition of all the HDD and SSD SATA and power ports on the drives themselves and their corresponding Mobo connections as they are very fragile. And while you are there how are the data transfer connector cables are they quality ones or El-cheapo?

hope this helps

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

No i don't have extensions. Every cable is original either from the PSU or the Mobo, although the same power cable is used for the HDDs so there might be an issue there, i will check it.

Just now, VAILANTER said:

No i don't have extensions. Every cable is original either from the PSU or the Mobo, although the same power cable is used for the HDDs so there might be an issue there, i will check it.

Check ALL the connectors are sound too, okay? The plastic connector tabs are brittle!

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

On 5/15/2019 at 12:10 PM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Check ALL the connectors are sound too, okay? The plastic connector tabs are brittle!

Sorry for long response, so i double checked every cable, and to be sure i swapped the sata and power ports. both hdd still do the same thing

And something i need to mention again, it doesn't happen that random, for example in pummel party, which has minigames, game will freeze in the beginning of the minigame after countdown, in cs sometimes when i leave the push to talk button etc. From what i've seen from other games it usually happens in sudden changes

On 5/15/2019 at 6:28 PM, VAILANTER said:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz

This RAM you have, Vailanter, did you buy the 2 x 8GB as a set or did you upgrade to 16GB from 8GB?

Also, I see you have a K skew CPU are you overclocking when the instability occurs? 

9 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

This RAM you have, Vailanter, did you buy the 2 x 8GB as a set or did you upgrade to 16GB from 8GB?

Also, I see you have a K skew CPU are you overclocking when the instability occurs? 

I never overclocked my cpu, only my gpu once just for a test. My ram was a set.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, VAILANTER said:

I never overclocked my cpu, only my gpu once just for a test. My ram was a set.

Do you use or has Norton (Anti-Virus) AV or McAfee AV ever been installed on the machine, and could an AV be running in the background?

Maybe begin looking down the path of an in-place-upgrade or if that has no effect a reinstall of the OS?

On 5/24/2019 at 12:28 PM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Do you use or has Norton (Anti-Virus) AV or McAfee AV ever been installed on the machine, and could an AV be running in the background?

Maybe begin looking down the path of an in-place-upgrade or if that has no effect a reinstall of the OS?

No, i never use unnecessary programs, no antivirus or any other programs running in the background. What do you mean by in-place upgrade?

Regarding the anti virus question didn’t you buy the PC second-hand? Not that I wish to question the person you met and trusted to buy a computer from, however, looking at your issue and not having met your friend I must address this with you as some programs can stay installed and operate nefariously (this site’s adds look sus).

To answer your question, an in place upgrade is where you download a fresh copy of Windows OS, and use the secure boot loader to reinstall the OS. The name ‘in place’ relates to all the personal files and folders you have on your machine which do not get removed. Some of the programs that you have installed may get removed, and you would need to put them back yourself. which ensures your OS is delivered ‘fresh and new’!

If that does not work then you would need to do a fresh installation of the OS, this process deletes all files and all folders from the machine by formatting the main [C:/] drive.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:43 AM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Regarding the anti virus question didn’t you buy the PC second-hand? Not that I wish to question the person you met and trusted to buy a computer from, however, looking at your issue and not having met your friend I must address this with you as some programs can stay installed and operate nefariously (this site’s adds look sus).

No, i bought every part, although i didn't do the assembly. Fresh copy of windows was installed, and when upgrading to win 10 from win 7(original copy) i formatted the drive first. Also both versions were legit windows. not pirated versions, specifically student version.

The only thing i didn't format was the other 2 partitions, Recovery and the 100mb one(EFI System Partition)

I can to format again but unfortunately not right now as i don't have much available time.

I have recently had a problem with Windows OS education version. Unfortunately, it was not the first problem that I have had to encounter. Previous issues ranged from losing WiFi connectivity for weeks due to a driver signing fault with my D-Link add-in PCI card to the inability to map a network drive for a year!

On 6/1/2019 at 3:43 AM, VAILANTER said:

On 6/1/2019 at 3:43 AM, VAILANTER said:

<snip>

I can to do a format again but unfortunately not right now as i don't have much available time.

I would suggest doing the in-place upgrade, which is quick (depending on your internet speed) and may fix problems with the Windows boot registry and the types of issues I was encountering, where the original Windows 10 install version 1507 from 2015 was no longer supported (see link Windows 10 Enterprise and Education editions are serviced for 30 months from their release date).

Links:

Microsoft video "Troubleshooting with Windows 10 In-place Upgrade" link

How to perform an In-place Upgrade...Step-by-Step Guide

Ok so, i'll format again using other version of windows but, last time was clean format. I even formatted my ssd through secure erase then installed win 10. I didn't format the hdd tho, although i don't think this would be the case( the problem didn't come after the format anyway).

On 6/3/2019 at 3:18 AM, VAILANTER said:

Ok so, i'll format again using other version of windows but, last time was clean format. I even formatted my ssd through secure erase then installed win 10. I didn't format the hdd tho, although i don't think this would be the case( the problem didn't come after the format anyway).

You can do the format, later when you have time. The in-place upgrade does not take that long (unless you have my internet connection that is...lol), it will probably take longer to check and address all those Windows privacy settings are set back up as you need them to be.

433668224_HELP!FreezeswithSSDHDD.png.1dd403a9788b6cdd21afa8b44175a664.png

Link:

Types of reinstalls for Windows 10