Strange behavior with ASUS VG248QE through DisplayPort

nSword0

(Apologies if this has been posted before, I tried searching but didn't find any posts matching this issue specifically)

I recently bought an ASUS VG248QE monitor to upgrade/replace an Acer monitor that had finally crapped out and stopped turning on.  I run it through DisplayPort, with a Staples cable (I feel like this could be the problem but I wanted to ask to be sure) at 144Hz.  The strange behavior is that when I go to wake my computer from sleep, it acts like it power cycles two times, then finally turns on the third cycle.  It does not truly power cycle however, rather it just kinda...Wakes up then takes two really quick naps??  I've noticed that it only does this when waking from sleep, cold booting does not have this issue.  Again, I have a feeling that it's the cable I'm using, since I bought it from Staples because I was in town and driving by so I figured "might as well since I'm here".  Any tips on what could be causing this?

Anything going on sitht he computer is not related to your monitor. Your monitor wont make your computer look like it power cycles.

8 minutes ago, pokemoncrusher1 said:

Anything going on sitht he computer is not related to your monitor. Your monitor wont make your computer look like it power cycles.

Displayport carries power, your monitor when using certain displayport cables with certain video cards can actually prevent your computer from turning off. It's a common issue with cheap cables.

If you have an earlier 10 series Nvidia card or anything older, it may have the older displayport firmware which too has a whole slew of issues.

https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

2 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

Displayport carries power, your monitor when using certain displayport cables with certain video cards can actually prevent your computer from turning off. It's a common issue with cheap cables.

If you have an earlier 10 series Nvidia card or anything older, it may have the older displayport firmware which too has a whole slew of issues.

https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

I'll try updating the firmware and see if that fixes it, thanks.

EDIT: Are there any DP cables you recommend to use other than a Staples one?

I had the same issue with my Samsung C32HG70 and with the cable that actually came with it in the box, so it's not just the cheapest cables that can have the problem...

It is about the pin 20 on the cable that carries the power and should be normally not connected inside the cable. However mine obviously was and it was causing this problem, I solved it temporarily by actually finding out the pinout for DP cable and manually snipped off the twentieth pin on one end of the cable so it was no longer making contact. It worked perfectly well but obviously I do not recommend going that route and I certainly won't be responsible for your actions if you do and somehow damage your own electronics.

And as I said, even though it worked perfectly, it was a roundabout solution that I did not like so later on I bought an expensive third party braided DP cable and that is working 100% from the beginning.

2 hours ago, nSword0 said:

I'll try updating the firmware and see if that fixes it, thanks.

EDIT: Are there any DP cables you recommend to use other than a Staples one?

I've always just dealt with the super short cable that came with the monitor, so unfortunately I can't. If you make a thread specifically asking about displayport cables I'm sure there's someone who's got some recommendations.