Windows 10 key

immoral

Hello all 

I have a laptop that unfortunately got water damaged and can not be repaired, 

Now my question is I am building a new rig can I use the windows 10 key from the damaged laptop to activate the OS on the new desktop? 

Thanks 

Unlikely, you might have a little luck if you signed into your microsoft account on the laptop and assigned it to the computer. If you did, do the same to the new computer and enter the key.

I'd say yeah. Even if it doesn't work online just phone MS and I reckon they'd make it work.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

It may be an OEM key, in which case it won't work right away. 

Give it a try first. If it doesn't work, you'll need to give Microsoft a call and get them to unregister the key so you can use it again.

18 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

It's $5 on Ebay for a * key..

*illegal and shaddy

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Thank you all, 

As someone said ebay is cheap, but where would u guys recommend to buy a key from... Do the ebay ones work? 

3 minutes ago, immoral said:

Thank you all, 

As someone said ebay is cheap, but where would u guys recommend to buy a key from... Do the ebay ones work? 

If you're not buying it at full price from a licensed retailer it's considered a grey market key, and you could experience some issues when trying to use one. Scams, activation issues, the works. Also it is technically illegal.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, Oalei said:

But would all of that stop you from buying it from eBay sellers? I mean I personally wouldn't Care and be ready to get sued by Microsoft themself.

I bet those keys sell like hotcakes, but I have had people come in saying their Windows won't activate and it's a key they got for $15 off kinguin, that had either been previously activated or was invalid. I don't use them but I definitely know people do. I mean $100 vs. $15 a majority of people will probably buy the grey market key.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I bet those keys sell like hotcakes, but I have had people come in saying their Windows won't activate and it's a key they got for $15 off kinguin, that had either been previously activated or was invalid. I don't use them but I definitely know people do. I mean $100 vs. $15 a majority of people will probably buy the grey market key.

I thought it was cheaper than $15 that's not really cheap, here it comes with CD and stuff the cost is around $7 or less. Yeah windows 10 keys from kinguin is more reliable than eBay sellers.

2 minutes ago, Oalei said:

I thought it was cheaper than $15 that's not really cheap, here it comes with CD and stuff the cost is around $7 or less. Yeah windows 10 keys from kinguin is more reliable than eBay sellers.

Last time I saw keys on kinguin they were like $15 but that was like a year and half ago, I don't know how much they are now. 

4 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

It's $5 on Ebay for a key..

4 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

*illegal and shaddy

4 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you're not buying it at full price from a licensed retailer it's considered a grey market key, and you could experience some issues when trying to use one. Scams, activation issues, the works. Also it is technically illegal.

9/10 ebay sales are scams... Kinguin is a grey market reseller (imo anything sold at less than msrp is not legit).

Either way, suggesting grey markets re-sellers is not illegal and not are they against rules here yet.

As a mod, and in good conscience, I will only suggest you purchase your key from a Legitimate re-seller.

As for your original question, your laptop is going to be an OEM key and won't be viable to use with your new build as windows keys attach themselves to the hardware they are installed on. You can call Micrsoft and might help you out with the transfer but your better bet and quicker bet is to purchase a new key.

Windows Home $139.00 USD

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-10-home/d76qx4bznwk4?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

Windows Pro $199.99 USD

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-10-pro/df77x4d43rkt/48DN

Amazon

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-10-home/d76qx4bznwk4?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The ebay seller I bought from made sure I got a key that works after sending me an invalid one.. Been working for months.. $5 bucks well spent, IMO.. 

4 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

15 hours ago, immoral said:

Thank you all, 

I buy only full price software. You have paid full price for laptops OEM Windows when you bought laptop. Unless it works when you login to your MS account (which may or may not work), you are gonna buy another full price key.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I've never bought a grey market or non-legitimate Windows key and don't plan too, I'd rather not risk anything, and even if I didn't want to pay for it I can still use Windows for free it just won't be activated.

I've bought a few ebay bargain keys. 2 were retail keys that worked fine, one was a dud but wasnt worth my time to bother with it and the last ended up being a volume key so definately not legit, but works for activating all the random installs I do when testing hardware and working with VM's.  How long they last is an unknown though.