Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MastaDragons

Possible or Not

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I currently have 100/100 mbps internet speed with Home Phone service from Verizon FiOS. The router that they give me for free (no rental fees) has really bad signal and some of the ethernet ports aren't working. I don't want to pay for another router, which costs more than $100. Is there a way I can use a third-party router like ASUS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to confirm a few things before I can answer your question:

  1. Your phone lines connect directly to the ONT (box installed probably outside your house, or in your garage, etc), not to the router itself?
  2. You do not have TV service from Verizon FiOS

Are both of these correct?


Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, brwainer said:

I need to confirm a few things before I can answer your question:

  1. Your phone lines connect directly to the ONT (box installed probably outside your house, or in your garage, etc), not to the router itself?
  2. You do not have TV service from Verizon FiOS

Are both of these correct?

Yes, both of your statements are indeed correct

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MastaDragons said:

Yes, both of your statements are indeed correct

Then you can replace their router with anything you choose to. There is nothing you have to do - just unplug theirs and plug in yours. Don't through away their router, keep it.


Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, brwainer said:

Then you can replace their router with anything you choose to. There is nothing you have to do - just unplug theirs and plug in yours. Don't through away their router, keep it. 

There's a COAX cable thats connected to the FIOS router. I can't find any third party routers that use COAX cables

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh. That’s a MoCA connection (don’t worry about it, other than knowing that you can’t use any DOCSIS modem or router with it). Call Verizon and tell them you want you ONT’s router connection changed to ethernet. The ONT supports both, it has to be changed over which they can do remotely. But to get an ethernet cable from the ONT to your router you need to run it yourself, hire an electrician, or pay Verizon to do it for you.


Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, brwainer said:

Oh. That’s a MoCA connection (don’t worry about it, other than knowing that you can’t use any DOCSIS modem or router with it). Call Verizon and tell them you want you ONT’s router connection changed to ethernet. The ONT supports both, it has to be changed over which they can do remotely. But to get an ethernet cable from the ONT to your router you need to run it yourself, hire an electrician, or pay Verizon to do it for you.

So, basically you're saying is that all I have to do is to hit up Verizon, tell them to change the internet connection from MoCA to Ethernet. Plug in a Ethernet Cable to the ONT, plug the other end of the Ethernet cable to the third party router and that's it? I can get Ethernet to my third party router that easy? And also to clarify, my phone service won't be affected right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MastaDragons said:

So, basically you're saying is that all I have to do is to hit up Verizon, tell them to change the internet connection from MoCA to Ethernet. Plug in a Ethernet Cable to the ONT, plug the other end of the Ethernet cable to the third party router and that's it? I can get Ethernet to my third party router that easy? And also to clarify, my phone service won't be affected right?

That is correct on both counts. But since the ONT is outdoors, the hard part is getting the ethernet line run in a nice fashion.


Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, brwainer said:

That is correct on both counts. But since the ONT is outdoors, the hard part is getting the ethernet line run in a nice fashion.

Actually the guy put the ONT in my house.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×