Zombieload Saga - New Intel Architecture security flaws, worse than Spectre/Meltdown

rcmaehl

Source:
Wired
MDS Attacks
Bleeping Computer

Summary:

Intel and a coordinated supergroup of microarchitecture security researchers announced a new, serious form of hackable vulnerability in Intel's chips. All are capable of siphoning a stream of potentially sensitive data from a computer's CPU to an attacker.

Quotes/Excerpts:

More year has passed since security researchers revealed Meltdown and Spectre, a pair of flaws in the deep-seated, arcane features of millions of chip sold by Intel and AMD, putting practically every computer in the world at risk. Researchers warned that they weren't the end of the story, but the beginning...a new class of security vulnerability that would no doubt surface again and again. Some of those same researchers have uncovered yet another flaw in the deepest guts of Intel's...hardware. It can allow attackers to eavesdrop on virtually every bit of raw data that a victim's processor touches. Intel and a coordinated supergroup of microarchitecture security researchers are together announcing a new, serious form of hackable vulnerability in Intel's chips. It's four distinct attacks, in fact, though all of them use a similar technique, and all are capable of siphoning a stream of potentially sensitive data. The groups have named variants of the exploit techniques ZombieLoad, Fallout, and RIDL, or "Rogue In-Flight Data Load." Intel itself has more tamely labelled the new set of attacks "Microarchitectural Data Sampling," or MDS. Intel...asked all the researchers to keep their findings secret, until it could release fixes for the vulnerabilities. At the same time, the company has sought to downplay the severity of the bugs, according to the researchers...split into two groups working independently...each warn that the attacks represent a serious flaw in Intel's hardware that may require disabling some of its features, even beyond the company's patch. AMD and ARM chips don't appear to be vulnerable. Intel says that some models of chip it's released in the last month include a fix for the problem. Otherwise, all of Intel's chips that the researchers tested, going back as early as 2008, were affected. You can test if your system is affected with a tool the researchers published here.

My Thoughts:
It's that time again all, Architecture vulnerabilities! Batten down the hatches and apply your patches. While I haven't had time to read all of this, the fact it's an architecture flaw means that only workarounds can be applied since you can't change the silicon.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Oh no, this has been predicted!

spectre-meltdown-intel-tba-the-new-intel-logo-makes-sense-30483039.png.e1388cf4f9882987dba4db9dd974151d.png

/s

Source: https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/554361-lukesavenije/?status=230824&type=status Thanks @LukeSavenije

I hope these issues aren't going to turn out too big, or at least be able to be fixed with software (that doesn't lower the performance much), otherwise Intel will be somewhat screwed..

Or it turns out AMD also has these issues and it's evenly bad for both parties.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This is more disconcerting:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210107

Apparently this has already been patched in Mac OS 10.14.5 for Safari to prevent exploitation via Javascript through a malicious website.. The security flaw was already disclosed to Intel in September of 2018, which is why there already are fixes available.

You could still be vulnerable if you use unsigned software / harmful apps, this is what Apple has to say about this:

macOS Mojave 10.14.5 fixes this issue for Safari with no measurable performance impact.This update prevents exploitation of these vulnerabilities via JavaScript or as a result of navigating to a malicious website in Safari.

Full mitigation requires using the Terminal app to enable an additional CPU instruction and disable hyper-threading processing technology. This capability is available for macOS Mojave, High Sierra, and Sierra in the latest security updates and may reduce performance by up to 40 percent2, with the most impact on intensive computing tasks that are highly multithreaded. Learn how to enable full mitigation

YIKES. I don't know if I WANT to "mitigate" this vulnerability now. Way to go Intel. Apparently Hyperthreading is completely UNSAFE now.

I am sure the repercussions are the same for Intel based Windows machines, since the CPU and Hyperthreading seem to be at the core of this vulnerability. Would apply for all OS.

Glad I got a Ryzen CPU for my Desktop now!

Eh, I just tend to ignore these since I never put my computer into situations where these vulnerabilities could be exploited in the first place. I've already disabled the spectre and meltdown patches cause I don't want gimped performance.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

25 minutes ago, maartendc said:

This is more disconcerting:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210107

Apparently this has already been patched in Mac OS 10.14.5 for Safari to prevent exploitation via Javascript through a malicious website.. The security flaw was already disclosed to Intel in September of 2018, which is why there already are fixes available.

You could still be vulnerable if you use unsigned software / harmful apps, this is what Apple has to say about this:

YIKES. I don't know if I WANT to "mitigate" this vulnerability now. Way to go Intel. Apparently Hyperthreading is completely UNSAFE now.

I am sure the repercussions are the same for Intel based Windows machines, since the CPU and Hyperthreading seem to be at the core of this vulnerability. Would apply for all OS.

Glad I got a Ryzen CPU for my Desktop now!

we had to disable hyper threading at work on our VM hosts to mitigate all the issues.

Sad because hyper threading has A LOT of benefit there...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Intel: Don't need to disable Hyperthreading if you don't even have it on most of your CPUs.

giphy.gif

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

My Mac doesn’t get viruses, so I’m fine.

A few more security patches and Intels latest lineup looks like the old AMD FX lineup.

Well it HAS 8 cores and 16 threads...but since it has severe vulnerabilities it really just shares those resources so its 8 c / 8 t

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, floofer said:

My Mac doesn’t get viruses, so I’m fine.

I understood that reference

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

There are no vulnerabilities and patches are dumb performance killers, this is valid only for the most sensitive of data in servers and whatnot.

It has no effect in userland.

In order for anyone to get your raw data from the CPU, they have to execute programs on your machine.... if anyone gets the rights to execute code on a machine they no longer need the vulnerability in the CPU to get your data, hence making all the patches so far pointless and performance destruction for no good reason.

9 minutes ago, yian88 said:

It does if malicious software is created to utilize these exploits. Even if it takes several years for these exploits to be utilized in an attack, if people don't install these patches, they're vulnerable. I always keep my software and drivers up to date for exactly this reason. Who knows what exploits have been discovered but remain unreported.

You know, Raja was recently talking shit expressing his concerns about his former employer and while I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough to emit any kind of value judgement on his concerns, as long as this shit keeps making the headlines AMD could really glue together chip dies crudely and it would still look better than this many critical vulnerabilities with seemingly no end in sight.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, yian88 said:

There are no vulnerabilities and patches are dumb performance killers, this is valid only for the most sensitive of data in servers and whatnot.

In order for anyone to get your raw data from the CPU, they have to execute programs on your machine.... if anyone gets the rights to execute code on a machine they no longer need the vulnerability in the CPU to get your data, hence making all the patches so far pointless and performance destruction for no good reason.

Not quite true.  This exploit works from completely unprivileged processes, including Javascript in websites in certain situations, and can pull data from more sensitive places than the other attacks, including buffer information and info from various secure enclave type areas (based in the intel CPU, unlike Apple's T2 chips).

pointing the victim to a webpage with malicious JavaScript can steal sensitive information on the system, like passwords and cryptographic keys.

It is true though, that the general user will get patched web browsers now (Safari) or soon (others) to mostly mitigate that attack vector as is currently understood.  However, it is an arms race of exploitation vs patching, and even "known safe" doesn't always stay that way.  A recent example of that is here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/keyloggers-injected-in-web-trust-seal-supply-chain-attack/

One of the other interesting bits from the BC coverage of these exploits is that it

also impacts modern Intel processors, including those of the 9th generation, which include in-silicon mitigations for Meltdown.  This protection, however, "makes them more vulnerable to Fallout, compared to older generation hardware," say the developers of the attack.

This is the bleeping computer article I've quoted a couple times above.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-ridl-and-fallout-attacks-impact-all-modern-intel-cpus/

Lastly, it is also important to note that there is a LARGE underground set of malicious actors that always reverse engineer security fixes and turn them into working exploits for sale.  The usual turn around time period of this is a day for more simple stuff, such as open source media platforms (Drupal, WordPress, etc), and at most about a week for super complex issues (similar to this).  So, you should definitely be patched and aware, even if you choose to not care about using the hyperthread disabling "full fix".

Pretty firm stance on this coming from Google today: 

https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/9330250 

Google has disabled Hyper-Threading by default on Chrome OS 74 and later. Chrome OS 75 will include additional mitigations.

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

What are the chances of this actually getting exploited on an everyday consumer machine???

I'm tired of hearing that my i7-8750H is a block of swiss cheese. ?‍♂️

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

For now, the biggest threat is to server farms. You really do not want your VMs being able to talk to each other or to the hypervisor!! 

The browser-borne exploits would be pretty scary if there was a working example out in the wild. I'm hoping that we will see some client side detection and mitigation of code trying to use that hole even on clients that choose to leave it open. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

7 minutes ago, jake9000 said:

The browser-borne exploits would be pretty scary if there was a working example out in the wild. I'm hoping that we will see some client side detection and mitigation of code trying to use that hole even on clients that choose to leave it open. 

The exploit proofs of concept to do this are on github, so I'm sure it has already been weaponized and available for purchase on the dark web.

20 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

What are the chances of this actually getting exploited on an everyday consumer machine???

I'm tired of hearing that my i7-8750H is a block of swiss cheese. ?‍♂️

Fairly high until all the browsers put in mitigations and you get the microcode updates.  Once those both happen, reasonably low.

Edit: I've done some more reading on MDS since yesterday, and it now appears to me that all Intel CPUs are possibly affected. Intel says they are not, but researchers insist that they are. Out of an abundance of caution, I'm removing my earlier post.

Edited by melete

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

WOOO!!!

Zombieland Saga - Crossdream Life

BRING ON THE WAIFUS!!!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers