[Unsolved] Constant white underscore, no bios

Hello

I recently got this motherboard+cpu from a friend, he said that it worked before, however he had it laying around for quite a while.

When ever I try to boot, I just get 1 constant white underscore. With a speaker connected I get 1 short beep (No repeats). According to the internet, this means having plugged in a VGA cable but no keyboard, if i have a keyboard plugged in I get the same result. My mouse does not get power either(Doesn't light up)

Things I have tried and didn't work:

4 different PSU's

Different monitor

Different displayoutputs (there is both HDMI, DVI and VGA) Tried all same result. (On different monitors)

Different GPU's (2 gpu's and the IGPU)

Tried with and without HDD

Tried take one ramstick out. Also tried switching them. (Also tried a totally different ram stick (still DDR3)) (Thanks for the advice YoFavRussian)

Booting with and without mouse/keyboard

No ram (No output, at all, not even an underscore)

Taking out the battery

Tried to use "Clear RTC RAM (3-pin CLRTC)" jumper (Thanks for the advice YoFavRussian)

I have a too many pictures, so I've uploaded them to Imgur. Link here: https://imgur.com/a/dFv4ose

Sorry that some of the pictures are a bit blurry. If it's too bad let me know

Specs:

CPU: Intel I7-4770K @ 3,5GHz

Motherboard: H81M-A

Ram: Unknown however they fit, I believe they are DDR3

PSU: Tried different ones (The higest was 550W)

HDD: Nothing on it (tried with and without)

GPU: AMD something, a Nvidia something and the IGPU (Testet separately) (Sorry for "something" but I don't know it)

As of my knowledge there has been no overclocking

I hope I explained this well enough, if there was something you didn't understand then just write, then I'll try to clarify

That random jumper has no correspondence to the BIOS.

In the manual it's stated as "1. Keyboard & USB device wake-up (3-pin KB_USBPWB)"

Have you tried the "Clear RTC RAM (3-pin CLRTC)" jumper yet? I recommend looking up your user manual to find the placement of all of these jumpers.

Also curious, are you able to reach a BIOS splash screen, and does the PC have a boot device?
Would you happen to have another DIMM, I'd try to see if maybe there is an incompatibility with that memory.

22 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

That random jumper has no correspondence to the BIOS.

In the manual it's stated as "1. Keyboard & USB device wake-up (3-pin KB_USBPWB)"

Have you tried the "Clear RTC RAM (3-pin CLRTC)" jumper yet? I recommend looking up your user manual to find the placement of all of these jumpers.

Also curious, are you able to reach a BIOS splash screen, and does the PC have a boot device?

Thanks for your responce YoFavRussian

I just tried the 3.pin CLRTC (Changed the position) -> no boot (as stated in the manuel) -> Moved it back -> Same problem.

I have not been able to reach the splash screen. When I turn the PC on, I wait about 3-5 secounds then I get the constant white underscore.

If you thing boot device as a HDD with win10 installed then no. I have had a HDD in it, but I believe it's empty. 

7 minutes ago, Held_Games said:

Thanks for your responce YoFavRussian

I just tried the 3.pin CLRTC (Changed the position) -> no boot (as stated in the manuel) -> Moved it back -> Same problem.

I have not been able to reach the splash screen. I turn it on, and wait about 3-5 secounds then I get the constant white underscore.

If you thing boot device as a HDD with win10 installed then no. I have had a HDD in it, but I believe it's empty. 

I've had this issue before and I remember it being a RAM voltage mismatch in a laptop, the RAM you have doesn't mismatch though. I'd be curious to see if maybe a RAM module by a different manufacturer makes a difference.

Also, try disconnecting every drive connected to the system. HDD, CD-ROM, USB drive. If you still don't get a message asking for a boot device it's more than likely BIOS, Motherboad, or memory related.

4 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

I've had this issue before and I remember it being a RAM voltage mismatch in a laptop, the RAM you have doesn't mismatch though. I'd be curious to see if maybe a RAM module by a different manufacturer makes a difference.

Yea, the only problem is that I currently dosn't have any other DDR3 ram. I'll see if some of my friends have a stick I can borrow, however i doubt this. (I believe they have DDR4, but I'll try it)

2 minutes ago, Held_Games said:

Yea, the only problem is that I currently dosn't have any other DDR3 ram. I'll see if some of my friends have a stick I can borrow, however i doubt this. (I believe they have DDR4, but I'll try it) 

After this point, and doing the boot device thing. I would consider it to be motherboard or BIOS related.

46 minutes ago, Held_Games said:

Turns out one of my friends uses DDR3 ram. Just tried using another ram stick, same result

17 minutes ago, Held_Games said:

Turns out one of my friends uses DDR3 ram. Just tried using another ram stick, same result

More than likely not a RAM issue, if disconnecting every storage device doesn't provide a different output, it looks like it's motherboard, or BIOS related.

26 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

More than likely not a RAM issue, if disconnecting every storage device doesn't provide a different output, it looks like it's motherboard, or BIOS related.

Should you by any change know ANYTHING that might be able to fix it?

25 minutes ago, Held_Games said:

Should you by any change know ANYTHING that might be able to fix it?

I take it you don't have a CD drive, or USB drive plugged in.

I'd say your next step is probably BIOS, if you haven't yet, I'd try clearing the CMOS (Removing the battery with the PC unplugged and hold down the power button for 30 seconds). The only other thing you could try for BIOS would be a freshly flashed BIOS chip.

Also, who makes that board, I actually can't find a HB1M-A, there is an H81M-A from Asus

You went through this exact process to clear the RTCRAM Correct?

Capture.PNG

10 hours ago, YoFavRussian said:

I take it you don't have a CD drive, or USB drive plugged in.

I'd say your next step is probably BIOS, if you haven't yet, I'd try clearing the CMOS (Removing the battery with the PC unplugged and hold down the power button for 30 seconds). The only other thing you could try for BIOS would be a freshly flashed BIOS chip.

Also, who makes that board, I actually can't find a HB1M-A, there is an H81M-A from Asus

You went through this exact process to clear the RTCRAM Correct?

Capture.PNG

No i only have the monitor plugged in.

I just tried clearing the CMOS again, still didn't work.

My bad, the motherboard is named H81M-A, I just read the 8 as a B.

Yes I'm sure I did it the right way. I even did it again, same result.

Do you know how to flash the bios, with me being unable to get to it? All the videos/tutorials that I can find, explains how to do it with access to the bios.

I currently have (not own) the same model, which I need to test and possibly repair, so I'll be keeping an eye on here.

As for firmware flashing, ASUS have a recovery flash method, via USB (or CD/DVD).

I'll look for their instruction page about it later.

29 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

Here it is: https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1012219/

The image on the screen will probably be different from the image in the link, however it will be the same idea.

This feature was only supported on their WS and ROG boards for 4th gen intel cpu's btw

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

If it is BIOS related and not board related. It looks like your only viable option is a replacement BIOS chip.

Just search H81M-A Bios chip, you can find them from a couple of different sources for about $15.

You've tried with and without a keyboard and mouse as well right?

On 5/16/2019 at 12:39 AM, KingCry said:

This feature was only supported on their WS and ROG boards for 4th gen intel cpu's btw

I wouldn't know about that.

I have an ancient LGA775 ASUS board that has this function (with floppy support as well).

On 5/16/2019 at 4:20 PM, YoFavRussian said:

If it is BIOS related and not board related. It looks like your only viable option is a replacement BIOS chip.

Just search H81M-A Bios chip, you can find them from a couple of different sources for about $15.

You've tried with and without a keyboard and mouse as well right?

No need for the original chip.

Just check what kind of chip, and use a CH341A programmer to flash the firmware onto it, before soldering it (in such a situation, the OP will need to do some soldering in any case, unless the board uses a replaceable chip).

On 5/18/2019 at 8:10 PM, moriel5 said:

No need for the original chip.

Just check what kind of chip, and use a CH341A programmer to flash the firmware onto it, before soldering it (in such a situation, the OP will need to do some soldering in any case, unless the board uses a replaceable chip).

So, I don't know about you, but I personally don't have a CH341A programmer, may have to get one. But I don't think the OP would have one either, and it is socketed and not soldered. 

Capture.PNG

On 5/18/2019 at 8:08 PM, moriel5 said:

I wouldn't know about that.

I have an ancient LGA775 ASUS board that has this function (with floppy support as well).

It would appear this one supports something like you mentioned above, something to try maybe?

Capture2.PNG

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to use the Asus crashfree bios.

However new insight has lead me to believe that it indeed is board related. If you look at the sataports there's one missing. I believe that even more that this has been damaged. 

3 hours ago, Held_Games said:

However new insight has lead me to believe that it indeed is board related. If you look at the sataports there's one missing. I believe that even more that this has been damaged. 

If you see physical damage then it throws everything out the window.
Do the Crash free bios. If that doesn't work then do a deep inspection of the board.
If it's dead then write it off. Get a new board.

It's not a race to the bottom.

6 hours ago, Held_Games said:

Wow, take a look at the missing port, see if any of the pins are touching, you may be shorting something.

IZzMQWH.jpg

3 hours ago, YoFavRussian said:

Wow, take a look at the missing port, see if any of the pins are touching, you may be shorting something.

IZzMQWH.jpg

The first thing I did when I realize. And no it didn't change the outcome...

6 hours ago, 0x1e said:

If you see physical damage then it throws everything out the window.
Do the Crash free bios. If that doesn't work then do a deep inspection of the board.
If it's dead then write it off. Get a new board.

I'll try the crash free when ever I get time.

Do you by any change know how I can mesure the board. (With a multimeter).  (I know how to solder, so if I can find the error I might be able to correct it) Normally i wouldn't do this, but it's worth a shot.

What is the best way to inspect the board?

On 5/21/2019 at 5:26 AM, YoFavRussian said:

It would appear this one supports something like you mentioned above, something to try maybe?

Capture2.PNG

This is what I had meant.

I agree that if the board is physically damaged though, that potentially changes the picture completely.