Dolby Labs: Old Photoshop? That's a lawsuitin - Adobe warns of potential lawsuits for users who don't update.

rcmaehl
10 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

That’s a cloud service.

in return for paying a smaller repeated monthly fee, you get to use their product and is required to update when possible.

though I find it harsh to say they would sue if you don’t update, I can understand why they want you to though

Again, NOT what is happening here. You fail to read the article. Adobe is pointing out you MIGHT get sued by THIRD PARTIES. Not by them.

As for the subscription: I am not a big fan. I wish you could still buy Photoshop or whatever outright, rather than pay a subscription. ... which costs you more money in the long run.

Adobe don't even offer purchasing their software anymore, it is all subscription based now. Has been for several years now.

This Thread is a trainwreck.

Really, do we need clickbaity titles for Forum Threads now? People just read the thread topic, and start jumping to conclusions, without actually reading the article.

This makes for very frustrating spread of misinformation, not good discussion.

Mods can close this topic for all I care.

Sadly true,...

Clickbait on the one side and people not reading past topic titles on the other side.

Sad to see the community heading this direction.

19 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

They had. 

It's called Aperture 

Which is dead and died years ago. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, maartendc said:

This Thread is a trainwreck.

Really, do we need clickbaity titles for Forum Threads now? People just read the thread topic, and start jumping to conclusions, without actually reading the article.

This makes for very frustrating spread of misinformation, not good discussion.

Mods can close this topic for all I care.

3 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Sadly true,...

Clickbait on the one side and people not reading past topic titles on the other side.

Sad to see the community heading this direction.

Which of these would be preferable?

image.png.33bc15e193fae60c2cff7174f04e8d36.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Which is dead and died years ago. 

Hence "had" 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The first two sound fine-ish.

Honestly, they are all better than what we have here. Not claiming they are great tho. Click bait just works too well to be ignored by Outlets that depend on the clicks.

However, topics here are made by users that get zero cents from the click bait, so there is less chance of me ignoring it "because i get it".

13 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

The first two sound fine-ish.

Honestly, they are all better than what we have here. Not claiming they are great tho. Click bait just works too well to be ignored by Outlets that depend on the clicks.

However, topics here are made by users that get zero cents from the click bait, so there is less chance of me ignoring it "because i get it".

I've adjusted the title a bit and clarified who is upset at old photoshop versions. Let me know if it's still too strong editorialization.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Not always an option given I've 6 GB/month of internet to play with. Heck, my Windows install is about a year out of date due to this.

how the hell do you only have 6gb/month? You can get mobile plans with more than that.

Imagine if appliances makers called you home and said "You're using a discontinued dishwasher". It's illegal to do that, you need to buy the latest one. XD

I have yet to receive one of those emails. Guess I'll just play stupid then.

But I don't honestly see a judge in court upholding this at all. Even computer illiterate ones would more than likely throw it away. I mean, what's the point of a judge and jury spending time trying to figure out if Joe Schmoe is allowed to use old software? That's pointless and a damn waste of time. Time better suited to much more important things, like actual criminals who've committed actual crimes.

46 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

how the hell do you only have 6gb/month? You can get mobile plans with more than that.

Mobile plan with not much other choice in my area (Satellite aside) and a pretty strict requirement to keep unnecessary cost down. We have T-Mobile, so we abuse the crap out of Binge-on for our tv needs (having cable cut, more or less), usually to the tune of 50 GB or so a month.

Needless to say, GoG and my trusty 128GB flash drive are pretty much my best friends for pc gaming (though my Playstation 2 gets more use than my PC as of late for gaming purposes). 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Mobile plan with not much other choice in my area (Satellite aside) and a pretty strict requirement to keep unnecessary cost down. We have T-Mobile, so we abuse the crap out of Binge-on for our tv needs (having cable cut, more or less), usually to the tune of 50 GB or so a month.

Needless to say, GoG and my trusty 128GB flash drive are pretty much my best friends for pc gaming (though my Playstation 2 gets more use than my PC as of late for gaming purposes). 

Ouch... and you're not even that rural either in Placerville.

4 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

lol what? That does not even make sense.

image.png.642815ad891bc7318e3944effc26e40c.png

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

3 hours ago, Tedny said:

time to find something better) 

Already did. I got divorced from Adobe a while back. The only thing from Adobe I ever used was Flash and Acrobat Standard (Acrobat Standard came with an ADF scanner I bought, then kept updated as needed). I ditched Flash quite a while back because I got tired of having to update it every couple of days or so to close up yet another security hole (and many holes weren't being closed until months after being discovered). I dumped Acrobat Standard when it went to a cloud based, subscription model.

I replaced Acrobat Standard with Qoppa's PDF Studio Pro. It cost half as much as the old Acrobat Standard, had more features (it's feature set is between Acrobat Standard and Acrobat Pro), was easier to use once I got past the minor learning curve, and did not have to be upgraded when a new version came out to be safe. I like it much better than Acrobat. It has versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I did have Adobe Elements for a short while (it came with a flatbed scanner I bought) but didn't like it so I dumped it pretty quickly.

I miss Adobe like a rootcanal without Novocaine.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

So even though people paid Adobe there's third parties involved? If they're licensing technology why wouldn't they reach a new agreement? I am sure it would be substantially cheaper if the new agreement states this isn't for current users but only for the ones that won't/can't update yet.

But even besides that, why do people pay a monthly subscription for a service as you would for cloud access, when it is evidently not in the cloud and gets issues due to remote installs? More over, if always-online verification wasn't something they wanted to do (You know...for a cloud service) Then why didn't they just set the local client to lock itself out once the licensing agreement would expire?

If gaming publishers have thought of anything is that you can get very creative to get people to do things like constant updates and validation of local files to ensure most people are doing the same things. Couldn't Adobe just stop collecting trucks of fucking cash for a few seconds to call EA and go "Hey you guys are big on this games-as-a-service thing, can you help us figure out how to best go about locking this shit up since we kind of have a limited sub-licensed stuff in it?" Because hey again, that's kind of important as I keep saying, for a cloud service.

Better yet lets just drop all the pretense and demand Adobe actually becomes purely cloud based, none of this "Subscription every month but with a local install and it's on you to keep up to date to comply with our sub-licensing agreements" fucking shit we have right now. Again those gaming companies so many overly angry gamers dudes love to hate have already been figuring this shit out for years and they're pushing functional streaming only services so, try that?

Because apparently buying fucking software is too much to ask, so much so that we have companies already demanding monthly subscription but utterly fucking failing at the implementation as software-as-a-service on so many fucking level it is close to giving me an aneurysm just figuring out the many ways this is crap.

-------

Current Rig

-------

One of the many reasons I refuse to EVER pay for software as a service, no matter what the software or service is.  If I don't own it, get to keep and reinstall it even if the company doesn't exist anymore, and use it fully offline...they get nothing from me for it.  I'm thankful I have the last version prior to creative cloud subscriptions being required, though often just use alternatives on Linux and the like anyway, since I can't run the latest OSs with that older CS version anymore.

The same goes for media such as movies and music (my CD collection is HUGE!).

3 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Ouch... and you're not even that rural either in Placerville.

Kind of on the outskirts actually. ?

Used to it, not the end of the world, and I'm also a major cheapskate. I use a small Atom laptop to act as a go-between. Even works for Steam games, though it's a pain in the rump to get the client to cooperate without trying to eat my data. It's also possible to download Windows 10 ISOs to perform full feature updates on the desktop this way, though again, not something I like doing often, and usually unnecessary as the desktop lives offline anyway.

No good for Adobe products though, namely LightRoom and Photoshop. Need to eat the data cost to update these, unless I feel masochistic enough to drag the desktop elsewhere. Thankfully they actually launch even out of date, unlike anything on Steam that ceases to work (when Steam detects an available update) at all unless the game gets the (usually multi-GB) update. Hate Steam... ?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

No problem, I'll just pirate the newest version.

WOAH BRO WARNING POINTS INCOMING

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Wait, people pay for adobe products?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I am no fan of Adobe but for some apps they are the only game in town.  As a photographer I use Lightroom to organize, process, and print images.  There really is not a good alternative out there for me.  I was happy on Win8.1 and the stand alone version of Lightroom that I purchased a couple of years ago.  I knew that the product was not being updated but that did not matter much to me until...........I bought a new camera.  the Nikon Z cameras (I have a Z6) require that one migrate to the subscription version of Lightroom as my camera files could not be read by the stand alone.  I did this for $9.99/month which is not a lot in the cosmic scheme of things.  Then I got a big surprise when after subscribing and updating my files still would not open.  It turns out that there is some conflict with Win8.1 (perhaps a dll file) and Adobe does not support Creative Cloud and Win8.1.  Not only did I have to pay Adobe money for the subscription but I had to update my workstation to Win10 in order to use the Adobe software for my camera!!! 

I don't use Photoshop much at all and have stand alone Affinity Photo which pretty much can do all the same stuff.  If someone can create a Lightroom substitute they would get a lot of disgruntled Adobe users pretty quickly.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

Such a shitty and greedy company. Bad move. Them making their suit sub only and quite expensive too was lame already. Also their software is nowhere near optimuzed to leverage modern hardware properly. So lazy for such a big company. Performance should be much better for various of their editing programs. Continuing like this will end them one day.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Dear god literally half the people responding to this thread didn't even read the article (or even the quotes and summary).

Guys, ADOBE ISN'T GOING TO SUE YOU!

This is for Creative Cloud only. This is not for older paid full versions of Adobe software (pre-Creative Cloud versions). Adobe is letting you know that Third Parites (aka Not Adobe) might sue you for infringement if you're using a really old version of CC that might contain stuff no longer licensed.

You have a problem with that? Take it up with whoever the hell is suing you (not Adobe).

Look, Adobe are massive d-bags. And it seems we love to shit all over them. But please dear god, shit on them for the right reasons.

This isn't one of those reasons.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)