OnePlus 7 Pro is official - 90Hz QHD OLED display, retractable FFC, up to 12GB of memory

D13H4RD
Just now, Nowak said:

That pop-up camera module and screen are gonna break so easily.

From what I’ve heard, the camera retracts if it detects that the phone is in freefall.

Doesn’t protect against general wear and tear though

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

They’ll probably sell more over there.

Though I’m not exactly clear on how the phone market works there 

I have seen a lot of OP owners and long tims pissed due to price. This is what, 6th increase in a row? I expect to drop quite a bit n India. 

I love OP6, but I wouldn't touch them with a pole. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, D13H4RD said:

From what I’ve heard, the camera retracts if it detects that the phone is in freefall.

Doesn’t protect against general wear and tear though

Yeah, that's what I mean. Wear and tear.

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I have seen a lot of OP owners and long tims pissed due to price. This is what, 6th increase in a row? I expect to drop quite a bit n India. 

Yeah, this is the biggest price increase they’ve had.

Honestly, minus no IP and Qi, it looks alright for the price but I can see why OP fans would be annoyed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Yeah, this is the biggest price increase they’ve had.

Honestly, minus no IP and Qi, it looks alright for the price but I can see why OP fans would be annoyed.

From what I understand it's water resistant but they're not spending money to get it certified with an IP rating. Take that how you will.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

From what I understand it's water resistant but they're not spending money to get it certified with an IP rating. Take that how you will.

>Phone is already in the premium segment

>Doesn’t want to spend extra on IP

thonk.png

Any news on the 7 non-pro? From what i can find it's basically a 6t but with stereo speakers (finally) and USB 3.1. I don't think it has the 90hz screen. Well at least it stayed the same price as the 6t

11 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Any news on the 7 non-pro? From what i can find it's basically a 6t but with stereo speakers (finally) and USB 3.1. I don't think it has the 90hz screen. Well at least it stayed the same price as the 6t

Mostly the same as 6T with some updated bits and pieces like the stereo speakers, new SoC and new camera.

Edit:

just to be clear; display is 60 Hz and seems identical to the 6T display. 

i just saw MKBHD's video and said that battery life has taken a dive with 90Hz enabled: 4-4.5 hours sot at best, with a 4000mah battery, using the phone secretly for a few weeks. he did say 60Hz mode is better in terms of battery life but not sure why you want that? 

I just bought a 5T about a month ago and I love high refresh rate screens, but looking at those prices I ain't even mad. 

3 hours ago, Nowak said:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Wear and tear.

It's going to take a few years for that to show up unless there's a few freak cases. OnePlus has said they've tested for 300000 cycles, which (if you cycle the thing 150 times a day would take 5 years to get through that), though that's according to JerryRigEverything and OnePlus, so take those values with spoons of salt.

And really, even though the camera is a moving part, it auto-retracts when the phone experiences any violent movements anyway. It in theory will be stationary upon drops and hard impacts. Even through wear and tear, I would be surprised if the camera started to develop a wiggle.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I like it but there are many great phones for a cheaper price nowadays. I wouldn´t there spend that much money 

So a proper flagship out of the flagship killer, huh?

I mean, this device sounds incredibly enticing, almost want to pick up the blue 12GB model myself, but I'm not sure the OnePlus 7 will solve the problem I have with my 6T, and that's the fact that the OnePlus 6T can't retain a connection to T-Mobile's LTE network as well as it should. Legit, I'll sit at my desk and try and use my phone, and within a 30 minute span, I'll have had to toggle airplane mode five times to reconnect to T-Mobile's network. It's not even the fact that it occasionally loses signal, it's that it has LTE, then loses it, and reconnects with HSPA+ or Edge and take up to ten minutes to reconnect to LTE on its own. It's infuriating, and made even more so when other users have been reporting the exact same issues since the OnePlus 3T.

I don't doubt this is an amazing phone, but I don't think I'd ever be able to daily it, so I'm still more sold on the Galaxy S10+ than I am this.

Also the camera is super disappointing. Like it looks better... But it doesn't look like it competes with flagship cameras.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Nice, another phone with an actually nice high PPI screen and AMOLED to boot.

....no microSD slot.

Welp, that kills all interest in the phone for me then.  Seems I will just keep this Turbo 2 for a tad longer.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

LTT Review is up by the way:

Spoiler

The big question is: how am I gonna be able to use all 12GB OF RAM? Install Windows 10? O.o

EDIT: found the answer (to prevent background apps from being killed)

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

It's going to take a few years for that to show up unless there's a few freak cases. OnePlus has said they've tested for 300000 cycles, which (if you cycle the thing 150 times a day would take 5 years to get through that), though that's according to JerryRigEverything and OnePlus, so take those values with spoons of salt.

And really, even though the camera is a moving part, it auto-retracts when the phone experiences any violent movements anyway. It in theory will be stationary upon drops and hard impacts. Even through wear and tear, I would be surprised if the camera started to develop a wiggle.

Playing devil's advocate here, Samsung did say that the Galaxy Fold was rated for some 200k folds. So, ummm.....ratings don't always reflect reality.

More specifically, the hinge mechanism was rated at 200k -- e.g. a perfectly uniform exertion of folding force on the device will yield a 200k fold-failure point. So, the camera could be rated for 300k cycles [in a clear room, under perfectly ideal conditions, in the scenario they tested under], but real world results could end up being VERY different.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

Playing devil's advocate here, Samsung did say that the Galaxy Fold was rated for some 200k folds. So, ummm.....ratings don't always reflect reality.

More specifically, the hinge mechanism was rated at 200k -- e.g. a perfectly uniform exertion of folding force on the device will yield a 200k fold-failure point. So, the camera could be rated for 300k cycles [in a clear room, under perfectly ideal conditions, in the scenario they tested under], but real world results could end up being VERY different.

Of course yeah, real world results can and will be different. Honestly, I just want this phone and its camera unit to do well because I'm a sucker for whole-display phones, and this is one of the cooler implementations of that idea (yes I know the Find X and that other phone exist).

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

$670? What the hell, OnePlus. The reason the old OnePlus models were so great was because it offered flagship performance for like at most 2/3 of the price, this **** is almost $250 more than what I paid for the OnePlus 3 less than 3 years ago

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

Why care about moving parts if not using it frequently? Perfect notch-less phone for a non-selfie guy! Quite a tempting launch price for this high-end spec, except that the price for the s10 series has been lowering...

4 hours ago, Suika said:

Also the camera is super disappointing. Like it looks better... But it doesn't look like it competes with flagship cameras.

I just checked it out. Seems that a lot of the issue stems from software unless the actual hardware is problematic (which it shouldn’t be)

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I just checked it out. Seems that a lot of the issue stems from software unless the actual hardware is problematic (which it shouldn’t be)

As MKBHD pointed out... let's wait for the Google HDR camera port lmao.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

9 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

The 7 pro is not going to sell quite a lot in India. The base model is priced at Rs. 49999 (approx 710 USD) and the higher end models go up to approx. 850 USD. Anyone in India who has the capacity to spend that much for a phone will definitely get the iphone xr which is just approximately 100 USD more than the base model of the 7 pro.

But, for the oneplus 7, it is a different story. It is priced less than the oneplus 6t(when it was launched) and has improved specs and camera.

Probably will sell quite more than the 7 pro.

Edited by Akshat Sharma
Missed a few points

Seems durable enough. Lack of headphone jack still makes me consider other products since my QCY earbuds are trash compared to my pair of Shures.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Also sucks that they decided not to include the USB-C to 3.5mm dongle in the box.

Andrei from Anandtech talked about the high resolution and refresh rate requiring an extra physical interface to deal with the bandwidth requirements causing increased power consumption. It sounded like even running it at 60 Hz can't negate that; that it's basically an increase in baseline power from just having that connection. That sounds like a poor design choice if you value battery.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Andrei from Anandtech talked about the high resolution and refresh rate requiring an extra physical interface to deal with the bandwidth requirements causing increased power consumption. It sounded like even running it at 60 Hz can't negate that; that it's basically an increase in baseline power from just having that connection. That sounds like a poor design choice if you value battery.

Looks like the standard OnePlus 7 is probably the better bet for battery, since it has a slightly larger battery and doesn't require an extra interface which adds to the power draw.