OnePlus 7 Pro is official - 90Hz QHD OLED display, retractable FFC, up to 12GB of memory

D13H4RD

OnePlus-7-Pro-MG-90Hz-ScreenUnlock.jpg?w

Well, the OnePlus 7 Pro is official, and it's pretty much as expected.

Spoiler

SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855

CPU: 1x Prime @ 2.85GHz + 3x Kyro 485G based on Cortex A76 @ 2.42GHz + 4x Kyro 485S based on Cortex A55 @ 1.8GHz

GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 640

RAM: 6GB/8GB/12GB LPDDR4X

Storage: 128GB/256GB UFS 3.0

Main camera: 48MP Sony Exmor RS IMX586 (pixel binned to 12MP) w/ optically-stabilized f/1.6 lens + zoom camera at 8MP res + ultrawide camera at 16MP res

Front camera: 16MP Sony Exmor IMX471, f/2

Display: 3200x1800 QHD+ 19.5:9 OLED, with 90Hz refresh rate

Battery: 4000mAh sealed, 30W charging

First things first, the OnePlus 7 Pro is the first OnePlus device to break free from the realm of FHD and introduces a higher resolution display, and also goes a step further with a higher refresh rate of 90Hz, which should offer a smoother experience, although not quite as smooth as the 120Hz panel on the Razer Phone 2.

OnePlus says that the OnePlus 7 Pro’s Fluid AMOLED display, which measures 6.67 inches diagonally, is the best it’s ever sourced, and there’s some merit to its claim. In a test prior to today’s launch, DisplayMate, a firm which develops and uses calibration and optimization software to test consumer electronics displays, awarded the OnePlus 7 Pro’s the highest A+ grade. That’s on par with the Samsung Galaxy S10, which recently received Display Mate’s all-time top rating.

Suffice it to say that said display renders frames crisply thanks to its 4.49 million pixels (Quad HD+, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 3,200 vertical pixels x 1,800 horizontal pixels, 516 pixels per inch), a total that’s more than double the number of pixels in the OnePlus 6T’s screen (2280 x 1080). Perhaps more importantly, it features a 90Hz refresh rate (up from 60Hz), which means that the display refreshes 90 times a second. That might fall short of the Razer Phone’s 120Hz, but in practice, it should make app interactions smoother, supported games quicker to respond to touch, and scrolling and navigation as smooth as butter.

The OnePlus 7 Pro also doesn't seem to have a notch, which is because much like its Oppo/Vivo contemporaries, the front camera is hidden behind a motorized pop-up mechanism. OnePlus claims it can withstand north of 300k cycles and is able to apparently retract quickly should it detect a fall. Not a huge fan of moving anything on phones, especially motorized, but we shall see.

Speaking of camera, seems that OnePlus has joined the likes of other Chinese manufacturers and implemented a higher-resolution image sensor that's designed to do 4-in-1 pixel binning, effectively creating 12MP resolution images which should have better overall quality. That, of course, is accompanied by computational-whizbangery.

The OnePlus 7 Pro’s 48-megapixel sensor (Sony’s IMX586 at f/1.6 aperture and 1.6 μm pixel size) is optically and electronically stabilized, as is the 8-megapixel 78mm telephoto lens (at f/2.4 aperture and 1.0 μm pixel size), and the 16-megapixel ultra-wide angle lens (at f/2.2 aperture) has a 117-degree field of view. All three benefit from a shutter lag under 0.3 seconds; a new autofocus system that intelligently leverages phase detection autofocus, continuous autofocus, and laser focusing methods to smooth out shaky shots; and a 7-element plastic lens.

Subject isolation and progressive blurring have been improved in the OnePlus 7 Pro, according to OnePlus, as has clarity and dynamic range. And to reduce noise, the 7 Pro’s software downsamples or pixel bins the primary camera’s 48-megapixel photos to 12-megapixel images. (More on that in a bit.)

The OnePlus 7 Pro’s camera app augments the optical zoom with up to 10 times hybrid digital zoom and offers an automatic high dynamic range mode with improved tonal fidelity and more realistic color temperature, plus a burst mode that snaps up to 20 pictures, AI scene detection, and new lens filters optimized for specific shooting scenarios. The AI-assisted Nightscape mode added to the OnePlus 6T post-launch is present and accounted for, too — it leverages a multi-exposure composite technique to improve the quality of low-light shots — as are panorama, slow motion, timelapse, face retouching, video recording (up to 4K at 60 frames per second or slow motion at 1080p and 120 frames per second), pro modes, and Google Lens integration.

There’s also UltraShot, an imaging algorithm that packs two powerful features: HDR+ and Super Resolution. As OnePlus explains, HDR+ controls the exposure value of each pixel and collects up to four times more data, giving each frame a “multi-frame synthesis” treatment. Super Resolution, on the other hand, extracts data from multiple photos and combines the best elements of them to “enrich” and “layer” the final photo with detail.

The OnePlus 7 Pro will go on sale later in the US on May 17th, although keen buyers can get it now off the T-Mobile pop-up store in Times Square. The phone starts at $669 all the way to $749 depending on what variant you get.

$669 - 6GB/128GB

$699 - 8GB/256GB

$749 - 12GB/256GB

And no, the standard OP7 is not coming to the US.

Source: VentureBeat

Personal take

Spoiler

I think OnePlus might have properly justified the increased price for this one, because it looks properly high-end. In the past, I find the increasing prices of OnePlus phones a bit hard to swallow because of some of the compromises they've had to make. But with the 7 Pro, while I still miss the times where OnePlus could sell a high-end specced phone for midrange money, it does seem to be worth the asking price as they've put a heap of stuff in it. From what looks like a great display to an imaging solution that seems poised to hang with the best of them alongside the typical OP performance and such, the 7 Pro doesn't seem too expensive when taken as an overall package.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I was gonna by the one plus 6t, but now I’ll buy the 6t when this comes out, since it’ll be cheaper.

It has so much going right but the camera... Don't really trust that mechanism. I'll pass.

3 minutes ago, V151ON said:

It has so much going right but the camera... Don't really trust that mechanism. I'll pass.

Same, it's disappointing Oneplus is not the same anymore as it used to be

23 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

The phone starts at $669 all the way to $749 depending on what variant you get.

2jkypf.jpg.8aad8061cb642f9f1fdf9ee99f1dcbe1.jpg

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

$699 for the 8GB/256GB version is awfully tempting.
Though the battery life is a little disappointing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

16 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

2jkypf.jpg.8aad8061cb642f9f1fdf9ee99f1dcbe1.jpg

Have they though? Have they really? They're still almost half the price of what a similar flagship device is.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Have they though? Have they really? They're still almost half the price of what a similar flagship device is.

Depends on which. They’re about $100+ lower than a base S10, although the S10+ is a better comparison 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I chuckled at the “if a friend with a good job asks you what phone to buy”, if someone has a “good job” just tell him to get an iPhone for the absolute fastest brute power, with QI and IP rating, not this niche nerdy pop-up camera doodad..

And no I won’t ”deal with” people considering movie watching a make-it-or-break-it feature, just get a cheaper phone and a tablet...it’s as if (mobile-oblivious) nerds don’t “get” smartphones, they dismiss important features telling you stuff like “just sit down at a PC to do that” and then they value “movie watching”...

58 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

3200x1800

Oh good, yet another manufacturer falls for the pointless extra cost and power consumption of an above FHD display.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

UFS 3.0

Still no NVMe, huh.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

$669 - 6GB/128GB

I hope that stupid 'selfie' camera was worth it

30 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Oh good, yet another manufacturer falls for the pointless extra cost and power consumption of an above FHD display.

Still no NVMe, huh.

Who took the jam out of your donut?

So long as the battery life is good (and it appears to be), it doesn't matter how far above 1080p the OnePlus 7 Pro is.  And I haven't seen an Android phone using anything faster than UFS 3.0, so I don't think you can accuse OnePlus of lagging.  This might be more expensive than earlier OnePlus phones, but you're also getting flagship-class hardware for considerably less than flagship prices... my only beef is that the non-Pro 7 isn't showing up in many markets.

No 3.5mm jack and no IP rating but upping the prize? They really are confident that screen will sell phones. A lot of people are not happy because of another price bump.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, BachChain said:

Still no NVMe, huh.

It's an AMOLED display. It needs to be higher than 1080p to be as sharp as a 1080p LCD. Also, I think testing has showed negligible differences in everyday use (aka no gaming).

NVMe isn't strictly necessary. I've yet to see it being a bottleneck and we're yet to see general availability of NVMe solutions. Apple uses a proprietary solution. No one is going to piss money away to make their own proprietary equivalent. At best you'd see Samsung do it to sell to the wider market but it seems they're pushing UFS for whatever reason. Until someone in the industry pushes for NVMe storage to become mainstream then UFS will remain the go to choice. There just isn't any competition in that regard.

Oh good, yet another manufacturer falls for the pointless extra cost and power consumption of an above FHD display

I’m pretty sure that 5 years’ of refinement would make higher resolution displays consume negligibly more power than an equivalent FHD display.

It does have a more efficient SoC, large battery and software optimizations on its side. Early reviews seem to indicate the phone has no issue lasting a day.

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

I chuckled at the “if a friend with a good job asks you what phone to buy”, if someone has a “good job” just tell him to get an iPhone for the absolute fastest brute power, with QI and IP rating, not this niche nerdy pop-up camera doodad..

I don’t think the person who’d consider an iPhone would consider a OnePlus, or really most Android phones.

Especially if they’re already deep into the Apple ecosystem or need 4-5 years of regular firmware updates

I sometimes wonder how would reviews look like if there weren’t “connections politics” at play, no review guidelines, no risk of ban, etc..I feel every video about a super significant android phone release (like this one undoubtedly is) would delve more into cross-platform state-of-the-industry comparisons...like “why are you only considering android phones again?”...

Still no NVMe, huh.

Not NVMe, but ufs 3.0 has 2.3 Gbps read and 1.8 Gbps write, unoficially. 

Linus is right about one thing: get a vivo if you want a real flagship killer. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Linus is right about one thing: get a vivo if you want a real flagship killer. 

The funny thing is that Vivo and OnePlus are related

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I could've got an S10 for $700 a month ago. r/android was full of people of getting it for $550+ in the first month. Non contract plans, special offers I reckon. This is a hard selling price for OP. 

Just now, D13H4RD said:

The funny thing is that Vivo and OnePlus are related

OP even uses Vivo R line shells afaik.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

I could've got an S10 for $700 a month ago. r/android was full of people of getting it for $550+ in the first month. Non contract plans, special offers I reckon. This is a hard selling price for OP. 

Knowing OnePlus, they’ll probably sell quite a lot of them in the first few, mostly to geeks and in other countries like India, where they seem to be quite big.

Actually met one guy in the hotel with the OnePlus 6, and remarked how over in India, they’re pretty big.

Just now, D13H4RD said:

Knowing OnePlus, they’ll probably sell quite a lot of them in the first few, mostly to geeks and in other countries like India, where they seem to be quite big.

Actually met one guy in the hotel with the OnePlus 6, and remarked how over in India, they’re pretty big.

They are according to numbers. Their main selling point was old phone turn ins. Iirc OP3  and $300 discount for OP6T. That's crazy. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

They are according to numbers. Their main selling point was old phone turn ins. Iirc OP3  and $300 discount for OP6T. That's crazy. 

They’ll probably sell more over there.

Though I’m not exactly clear on how the phone market works there 

That pop-up camera module and screen are gonna break so easily.