Damaged pcie pin on used GTX 1080

KJaboski

Hi everyone.

I've bought a used GTX 1080 Seahawk on eBay and it arrived today. While looking through the card to check it's condition I have noticed the burned out pins in the first slot of the pcie connector.

What do you guys think about that? The description on the eBay listing was as "fully working comes in a box". The box it came I have included a picture but it was also in the listing so I was expecting that.

I don't t have time to drain the loop today and see if it works ok, most likely closer to the weekend but wondering what do you all think?

IMG_20190514_154820.jpg

IMG_20190514_154739.jpg

IMG_20190514_154632.jpg

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

if it doesnt work and you cant RMA it then return it If its marked as fully working  it has to fully work so. also you can try taking a eraser to the contact and see if it will clean that contact, but then again tampering with something you may return is not always wise 

19 minutes ago, KJaboski said:

Hi everyone.

I've bought a used GTX 1080 Seahawk on eBay and it arrived today. While looking through the card to check it's condition I have noticed the burned out pins in the first slot of the pcie connector.

What do you guys think about that? The description on the eBay listing was as "fully working comes in a box". The box it came I have included a picture but it was also in the listing so I was expecting that.

I don't t have time to drain the loop today and see if it works ok, most likely closer to the weekend but wondering what do you all think?

If the listing photos also have the same burn, it probably works as is... But if I remember correctly that is a power delivery pin. Not as important on a GPU with external power, but I would still confirm that the card works asap so if you have to return it, you can. 

Ebay will have your back if it's listed as working and clearly doesn't. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

30 minutes ago, Duckster said:

I don't exactly know what to do, but inspect the card and see if anything else has burn damage

I have looked closely at the PCB and cant identify anything else that looks damaged or burned, no smell either thought can't see behind the coldplate of the waterblock and backplate.

25 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

if it doesnt work and you cant RMA it then return it If its marked as fully working  it has to fully work so. also you can try taking a eraser to the contact and see if it will clean that contact, but then again tampering with something you may return is not always wise 

Yea it was marked as working and in used condition so it has to. You're right, I considered taking off the waterblock to clean it but won't until I check if it works like you say.

22 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Those are the 12V pins. Someone did something naughty.

You should return it or demand a refund.

If I notice something wrong while benchmarking underload I will definitely demand a refund, that is if it even boots.

21 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

If the listing photos also have the same burn, it probably works as is... But if I remember correctly that is a power delivery pin. Not as important on a GPU with external power, but I would still confirm that the card works asap so if you have to return it, you can. 

Ebay will have your back if it's listed as working and clearly doesn't. 

Yea the listings have a burn mark which I honestly didn't notice as I was more focused at looking at the condition of the waterblock, silly me. ( I didn't mean to sound like yoda xD)

Thanks for your inputs guys 

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

If it doenst work return it  do not bother tinkering with it. If you do you may not be able to get your money back. 

3 hours ago, ELSknutson said:

If it doenst work return it  do not bother tinkering with it. If you do you may not be able to get your money back. 

Looks like it is DOA as I just spent manic hour draining the loop and refitting the 1080 with quickest fill I have ever done, had to get it into a lower pcie slot that runs at x8 but surely that would not effect it. Bios is not picking it up and got a black screen when booting, only the keyboard led lights up, the picture from bios is thanks to running on the igpu.

IMG_20190514_212459.jpg

5 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Those are the 12V pins. Someone did something naughty.

You should return it or demand a refund.

That's correct according to pcie x16 pinout the two damaged on one side are either both 12v or 12v and hot plug presence detect. Surely with this the card would not function even before dispatch right? Seller claims it was tested before sending it to me. After I posted the OP I looked at it closer and realized that its not just burn marks on the pins, its actual chunk of the pcb missing with copper, looks like physical contact damage really.

4 minutes ago, KJaboski said:

That's correct according to pcie x16 pinout the two damaged on one side are either both 12v or 12v and hot plug presence detect. Surely with this the card would not function even before dispatch right? Seller claims it was tested before sending it to me. After I posted the OP I looked at it closer and realized that its not just burn marks on the pins, its actual chunk of the pcb missing with copper, looks like physical contact damage really.

I wouldn't test the card if you haven't already, as I can't really put trust in damaged electronics. Especially when the damage is on a power supply line. As far as you know the product came damaged, it doesn't matter if it's been tested or not.

7 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I wouldn't test the card if you haven't already, as I can't really put trust in damaged electronics. Especially when the damage is on a power supply line. As far as you know the product came damaged, it doesn't matter if it's been tested or not.

I did already, no magic smoke or anything like that. The pc still boots on igpu so it didn't blow up anything, had to try because... well I was optimistic.

28 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

1 hour ago, ELSknutson said:

ya return that mess and get your money back and leave the a hole a one star review 

I got a reply form the seller and this is the evidence that he sent me that the card was working before sending.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18N0XoIvKB_tq4RsZ6Sho1reC7lTKKaGC/view?usp=sharing

I'll leave that with you to comment what you think. I got some red flags in my head form what I've seen.

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

Fake as golden flying pigs. 

No way a card like that is working without water pumped though it wile running furmark.

If this is Ebay don't say another word to the seller

file a SNAD. Post a photo of the damage and state the card doesn't work. 

Not a word more. Wait for the return lable and send it back.  

Edit: 

dont fall for any tricks from tge seller, if he messags you asking questions don't reply. They tend to use what you say against you in a conter case or to at least get any negative feedback removed.  

This. Get Ebay involved. Don't leave any type of feedback until the matter has been resolved.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

6 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

Fake as golden flying pigs. 

No way a card like that is working without water pumped though it wile running furmark.

If this is Ebay don't say another word to the seller

file a SNAD. Post a photo of the damage and state the card doesn't work. 

Not a word more. Wait for the return lable and send it back.  

Edit: 

dont fall for any tricks from tge seller, if he messags you asking questions don't reply. They tend to use what you say against you in a conter case or to at least get any negative feedback removed.  

Just requested a refund. I like how in the video at 33th second a random cable appears  out of thin air. Had to take a closer look at that to notice. 

This is really confusing / concerning me from the video

• Video card is set-up for water cooling with a waterblock
  • The PC is NOT set-up for water cooling AT ALL ... ??
  • Why is the video card **running** with no water loop hooked up
  • Furmark is showing the GPU is running at 93*C
  • GPU Core is at 1265 MHz

WTF...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

15 hours ago, KJaboski said:

I got a reply form the seller and this is the evidence that he sent me that the card was working before sending.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18N0XoIvKB_tq4RsZ6Sho1reC7lTKKaGC/view?usp=sharing

I'll leave that with you to comment what you think. I got some red flags in my head form what I've seen.

the buyers always right 

also he is running the thing with no water in the block and there are cables going every direction what a scammer. 

The reality of this is that no matter how good of a suggestion anyone has here for fixing the card yourself, fixing is a possible workaround to this. If you modify the card in any way, the seller will probably try to claim that you caused the damage. I'd message them on ebay first asking "What's the deal with this?". Sometimes they refund straight back without mitigation, other times they will try to fight it. 

Sometimes, (and this is best case here), the refund will go through and they won't request the card back. Then you can play with it and try to get it working yourself. (I suggest carving a super shallow trench and filling it with conductive solder in order to connect the missing pin leads) 

But in the end, I think that requesting your money back is the safest bet. Then you can buy another WORKING card. Good luck!

49 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

the buyers always right 

also he is running the thing with no water in the block and there are cables going every direction what a scammer. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a distraction to keep you from noticing the OTHER 1080 machine he has setup near buy to run the benchmark on.  

3 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

The reality of this is that no matter how good of a suggestion anyone has here for fixing the card yourself, fixing is a possible workaround to this. If you modify the card in any way, the seller will probably try to claim that you caused the damage. I'd message them on ebay first asking "What's the deal with this?". Sometimes they refund straight back without mitigation, other times they will try to fight it. 

Sometimes, (and this is best case here), the refund will go through and they won't request the card back. Then you can play with it and try to get it working yourself. (I suggest carving a super shallow trench and filling it with conductive solder in order to connect the missing pin leads) 

But in the end, I think that requesting your money back is the safest bet. Then you can buy another WORKING card. Good luck!

ya if they dont ask for the card back thats an option but as far as components go the burnt pin likely caused other issues like blown caps.  

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

the burnt pin likely caused other issues like blown caps.  

and that is a whole different kind of home project that I wouldn't recommend someone to just take on without any experience. 

Have you taken off the cooler yet to see if there is any other visible damage? Expanded/blown caps or mosfets? 

1 hour ago, Mbowen said:

and that is a whole different kind of home project that I wouldn't recommend someone to just take on without any experience. 

Have you taken off the cooler yet to see if there is any other visible damage? Expanded/blown caps or mosfets? 

I'm not touch that thing with a ten foot poll any more. Got a return label and it is going straight in the box to where it came form. If i do anything else there is a chance the seller will claim I caused damage that wasn't on there before. My intention wasn't to fix this in the first place, just hoped it would work like described in the listing. But after seeing the trickery and lame ass excuse for evidence of the card working I am positive this is an attempt of a scam.

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2019 at 11:05 AM, KJaboski said:

Hi everyone.

IMG_20190514_154820.jpg

IMG_20190514_154739.jpg

IMG_20190514_154632.jpg

Hi I know I’m a bit late but I actually a ordered a similar card that worked for a few weeks and then started restarting during gaming and I just found out that it’s a pci pin problem like yours. I feel so stupid for not figuring it out straight away. Half of the pins on the part supplying power to the card are black and scratched/burnt. Due to the fact that I didn’t find this sooner I tried fixing it and using for way longer than I should’ve. My question is if I could’ve possibly damaged my mobo slot? Thanks

On 8/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, F1nnegan said:

Hi I know I’m a bit late but I actually a ordered a similar card that worked for a few weeks and then started restarting during gaming and I just found out that it’s a pci pin problem like yours. I feel so stupid for not figuring it out straight away. Half of the pins on the part supplying power to the card are black and scratched/burnt. Due to the fact that I didn’t find this sooner I tried fixing it and using for way longer than I should’ve. My question is if I could’ve possibly damaged my mobo slot? Thanks

Hey

You're probably not going to get much response form this thread being a year long, to find out if you have caused damaged to the mobo it's hard to tell without seeing it. I think worst case is you could have caused a short across pins in pcie slot. In the case of that gpu it just didn't post and I had it returned without messing with it.