Powerline ethernet connection disconnecting

steelo

Hi everyone,

A few months back, I purchased a 'powerline' ethernet adapter because my wifi connection to my upstairs PC was slow and unreliable. For the most part it has worked beautifully for online VR gaming and the connection has been stable. Well, recently whenever I bring my computer back up from 'sleep' mode, Windows 10 will show that the network connection has been disconnected on the taskbar . Even after attempting to 'repair' the connection, I'm having to restart the PC to re-establish an ethernet connection. I thought maybe it had to do with the router lease time, but I don't see how though because I've never played with that setting under the router utility. I am using a netgear nighthawk AC1900. Thanks!

46 minutes ago, steelo said:

Hi everyone,

A few months back, I purchased a 'powerline' ethernet adapter because my wifi connection to my upstairs PC was slow and unreliable. For the most part it has worked beautifully for online VR gaming and the connection has been stable. Well, recently whenever I bring my computer back up from 'sleep' mode, Windows 10 will show that the network connection has been disconnected on the taskbar . Even after attempting to 'repair' the connection, I'm having to restart the PC to re-establish an ethernet connection. I thought maybe it had to do with the router lease time, but I don't see how though because I've never played with that setting under the router utility. I am using a netgear nighthawk AC1900. Thanks!

Windows sleep mode and powered ethernet adapters never seem to like each other. Personally I would enable hibernate and use that or just turn it all the way off.

Which powerline adapters are you using? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

41 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Windows sleep mode and powered ethernet adapters never seem to like each other. Personally I would enable hibernate and use that or just turn it all the way off.

Which powerline adapters are you using? 

Thanks, I've never had the issue before this week which is kind of strange. I have the netgear powerline 1000 mbps version.

What is the difference between sleep and hibernate? Will I still be able to wake the computer up by pushing the power button? It's not a huge deal to completely shut off the computer because Windows boots pretty quickly with a SSD. I just hope this isn't the start of potential connection issues.

I don't know if this is related, but the issues (seem) to have started when I plugged another device into the dual power outlet I'm using for the powerline adapter. I am not using a surge protector.

9 minutes ago, steelo said:

Thanks, I've never had the issue before this week which is kind of strange. I have the netgear powerline 1000 mbps version.

What is the difference between sleep and hibernate? Will I still be able to wake the computer up by pushing the power button?

Sleep saves your system state to memory, hibernate saves it to your drive. In my experience hibernate is less likely to break windows tasks then sleep mode. 

And yes you can still wake it with power button from hibernate. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Just now, Brink2Three said:

Sleep saves your system state to memory, hibernate saves it to your drive. In my experience hibernate is less likely to break windows tasks then sleep mode. 

And yes you can still wake it with power button from hibernate. 

Gotcha, thanks!

More specifically, Sleep keeps your PC on in a very low power state, effectively just the RAM being powered.
Hibernate works as if you turned off normally but saves the entire RAM contents to disk and loads it back when you power back up.

They both effectively do the same thing just in different ways.

Amusingly I have actually seen some odd cases where sleep mode uses LESS electricity than hibernate.  I believe this is because sleep is a power saving mode so will not enable things like USB ports high-current charging modes whereas hibernate is effectively off so does whatever the BIOS tells it to.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7