Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zapawaf

Can you make secondary SSD your default install location?

Posted · Original PosterOP

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

I just purchased a new laptop that has a 256GB M.2 and the secondary is a 1TB SSD.

Every time I go to install something, it wants to put it on the 256GB drive. Not really a huge deal, but I was wondering if it's possible to set the 1TB as the primary install location for future installs?

4 minutes ago, Zapawaf said:

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

No such thing :)

I'm guessing that you are on Windows.  Go to your Settings, then System and then Storage.  If you scroll down you should get options for where things are saved by default.

22 minutes ago, Zapawaf said:

but I was wondering if it's possible to set the 1TB as the primary install location for future installs?

Depends on the Setup actually, usually all defaults to the boot drive however if you use a Setup that's shared it might save the preference to using the other drive.

You can move your default Downloads folder to your secondary drive, move pagefile,you can move everything there but sometimes you might still have to manually set it on a Setup proceed when installing a brand new software.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
16 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Depends on the Setup actually, usually all defaults to the boot drive however if you use a Setup that's shared it might save the preference to using the other drive.

You can move your default Downloads folder to your secondary drive, move pagefile,you can move everything there but sometimes you might still have to manually set it on a Setup proceed when installing a brand new software.

Ahhh. I'll give that a try. It's not really a big deal, but if it works it'd be nice 

37 minutes ago, Ethan_ said:

No such thing :)

I'm guessing that you are on Windows.  Go to your Settings, then System and then Storage.  If you scroll down you should get options for where things are saved by default.

I'll go dig around and see what I can find. Thank you