Panel Type And Gaming Experience

BigChobbs

Will a TN panel detract from my gaming experience with single player games? I would like to run them at max (or close to) settings to get the best experience. TN is so much cheaper than other panel types and I would rather spend more on my GPU. I would still like high refresh rate for online games though i'm not competitive, i would still like to perform well. I'm willing to turn a few settings down here and there for more fps online.  I don't do much else on my computer besides gaming. Also, i asked before about 1440p 144 vs 4k 60 and decided 4k isnt worth it, but is 1440p worth it? Is a ryzen 5 2600 capable of pushing enough frames at 1440p? I'm not planning on maximizing frame rates over quality in single player games such as GTA 5 but would still like higher than 60. Not too sure what graphics card I want to get, was thinking a 2060 or 2070 but will probably wait to see what navi is like before making the decision.

TN is fine for 90% of people. They just have worse color accuracy and some have bad viewing angles and washed out colors. This is the main problem with TN panels. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Does colour accuracy mean the colours look worse than an IPS? Or is accuracy only relevant for professionals and TN can still look great in games even if the colours aren't accurate? Will it still look vibrant and pleasing basically.

Just now, BigChobbs said:

Does colour accuracy mean the colours look worse than an IPS? Or is accuracy only relevant for professionals and TN can still look great in games even if the colours aren't accurate?  

IPS is best for reproducing colour but slowest panel type, TN is the fasted panel type but worst colour reproducing, all depends on what you use your monitor for.  

4 minutes ago, BigChobbs said:

Does colour accuracy mean the colours look worse than an IPS? Or is accuracy only relevant for professionals and TN can still look great in games even if the colours aren't accurate? Will it still look vibrant and pleasing basically.

You wont notice the difference between a 1ms TN panel and a 4ms IPS panel if thats what you're asking. Color accuracy helps a TON with not only gaming, but also just consuming content such as YT, movies etc... its not just for professionals. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Honestly, when you buy an Ultrawide IPS panel, you'll never go back. As soon as I played my first game of overwatch on my 2560 x 1080 LG IPS panel, I was amazed by the colors. Especially the vibrant stuff, the greens and reds really stand out big time. I was sceptical paying the sort of money I did. It was on a discount for around £250 at the time, still a lot in my opinion. Don't regret paying it at all, it's awesome.

The sweetspot for the current midrange gpu's is 2560 x 1080. I recommend getting a vega 56 for your gpu because it performs just shy of the 2060, but the big advantage you get is 8gb vram instead of 6gb on the 2060. That will make a difference in 2/3 years from now at ultra when games will easily surpass 6gb consistently at the 1080 ultrawide resolution:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3Nx2FT/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-8gb-red-dragon-video-card-axrx-vega-56-8gbhbm2-2d2hdoc

And then I'd buy this ultrawide 75hz monitor:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QCF48d/lg-29um69g-b-290-2560x1080-75hz-monitor-29um69g-b

I've got the 34 inch version of that monitor and it's a really good monitor for the price even with the LG tax.

7 hours ago, JHurley7nrx said:

IPS is best for reproducing colour but slowest panel type, TN is the fasted panel type but worst colour reproducing, all depends on what you use your monitor for.  

I have both a TN and IPS 27" 144hz 1440P Gaming monitors.

I can't tell the difference as far as gaming goes, but the IPS panel looks a lot better overall.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.