• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arika S

Folding PCs? Lenovo says "yep"

Posted · Original PosterOP

Oh Lenovo, you crazy kids.

image.png.ded48f64d8e0d96c46284f9c143dac75.png

The Samsung Galaxy Fold and Huawei Mate X are making foldable phones a reality, but Lenovo is taking things a step further by announcing the world’s first foldable PC.

Part of Lenovo’s Thinkpad X1 line of PCs, the device features a 13.3-inch LG-made OLED display with 2K resolution and a 4:3 aspect ratio. Because the device folds inwards, you theoretically don’t have to worry about the display getting scuffed in your bag.

That said, the quality of the display is the larger concern. Based on impressions from outlets that went hands-on with a functional prototype, the display was dim and had poor viewing angles. Keep in mind that it’s unfinished hardware — Lenovo hopes to launch its foldable PC some time in 2020.

Continuing with the hardware, Lenovo said an Intel processor powers the foldable PC. The company is aiming for a full day of use, with planned support for cellular data. Additionally, the device comes bundled with a Wacom pen and separate keyboard to improve productivity.

As promising as the hardware is, the Galaxy Fold reminded us that foldable devices are still in their infancy. Lenovo told The Verge that it’s working to avoid the Galaxy Fold’s issues. The company is also doubling the testing on its device’s hinge to ensure functionality and reliability.

Lenovo has always been one of those companies that actually release what they announce. it's not the first time they would have released a quirky laptop, their YogaBooks were always a bit of a strange product, but hey, they released them.

it will certainly be interesting to see how each company making these folding devices deals with the screen, the galaxy fold already showed that the screens can crease, which doesn't bode well for longevity or durability.

Software is a different story. Even though the device currently being shown off to press runs Windows 10, Lenovo said the final version won’t run Microsoft’s OS. That opens up more possibilities for software to better take advantage of the foldable PC’s unique form-factor.

sooo. ChromeOS. There's no other OS that would "make sense" though ChromeOS already doesn't make a whole lot of sense and given that they are asking potentially upwards of $2000 it's going to be a super niche device like most of the other premium ChromeOS devices

And unless they make the "base" much heavier that then rest of it, it's going to be awkward as hell to use as a "laptop" because of, you know...physics

image.png.246f99c75d5740401101f61f96e07049.png

https://www.androidauthority.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-foldable-pc-985874/

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And unless they make the "base" much heavy that then rest of it, it's going to be awkward as hell to use as a "laptop" because of, you know...physics

Just having to use a touchscreen-based keyboard would make it awkward and unpleasant as hell.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

alternative gag: isn't foldable PCs.... laptops??

no, its a flip-laptop. it only has a screen one one side. 

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

samsung: hey guys check this out!

samsung: crap hang on nevermind

Lenovo: hey guys!

alternative gag: isn't foldable PCs.... laptops??

That was my first thought. My second was that they would make an ultrawide laptop with the folding screen using two folds. Instead they're making a beefy folding tablet. WHY?

That's called either a laptop or a foldable tablet.

Not a PC.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Foldable PCs have already existed in another form. 

It's called a laptop 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

this is great and also a really awful idea. typing would be torture but if the aspect of the unfolded thing is nice i kinda still want one

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

46 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's called either a laptop or a foldable tablet.

Not a PC.

I mean if you're really arguing semantics, it is technically a personal computer.

Is it what some enthusiasts immediately think of upon hearing "PC"? No, but that doesn't change it being one.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270E | Storage: 256GB SSD, 2x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G

Cooling: Dual 240mm AIOs | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C (modified) | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

VR Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB HDD | GPU: GTX 970 Strix (BIOS modded, MSI Twin Frozr cooler) Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler Push/Pull | Case: Silverstone GD09B | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W | HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 with 2 sensors

Server: CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5645 | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333 ECC | Motherboard: Supermicro X8DAi | GPU: Sparkle GTX 550 Ti

Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler, Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | Storage: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M

The Laptops

Lenovo X230: CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 128GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 4000 | Lenovo 44+ 84Wh Battery

MacBook Air (Early 2015, A1466) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5250M | RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 6000

Someone feed that PC some parts; the poor dear is wasting away!

13.3" @ 4:3 ... That's just gross. 

I could see something like this if it were more like a sheet of paper(8.5 x 11) actually being useful.  Not OLED so much, but something more like a folding E-Ink tablet could be nifty to load up all of a students textbooks onto.  However I likely won't be interested until I can fold it into a 'paper airplane' or at least roll and unroll these screens sorta like a poster.

Folding PCs?

internet says no!

I once wrote a fan fiction between Luke and Dennis for Luke on one of his streams, he never read it, I SPENT 15MIN ON THAT!!!! (read it here: test1.docx )

and i am also the man who asked Linus to set his profile pic on twitter to something awesome: https://twitter.com/samiscool51/status/758526342396715009

(i didn't expect him to reply, nor for it to turn into official merchandise and actually affect LTT's video style!!!! i am god!!!) 

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yJ2cQV

Anyone reading this is a very nosy wanker....

So it's a huge tablet that folds, you can watch movies on really big screen or use it as if it was a laptop. As a guy who likes tablets a lot, I dig it, but it's definitely going to be out of my budget.

A fliptop?

A lapflip?

Flipflop?

I feel i will always have reservations about these folding screens. Curve (Sweeerrrve) TVs were somethng that didnt appeal to me but i kind of get it for immersion with monitors.

I also have reservations about the longevity of these screens... a bit like how you can break a credit card in half with enough wiggling.

3 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

My second was that they would make an ultrawide laptop with the folding screen using two folds.

i really want to see razer do project valerie 2.0 now o_o

Hmmmmm.....

If they supply this with a monitor stand so that this can be used as an AIO PC with dedicated mouse and keyboard and you can easily take it away from the stand and use it as an "emergency" laptop then fine.

Otherwise nope, nope, nope.... dont make people type on a display. It never worked, it will never work... so many tried, so many failed.

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

oh dear lord. that would kill my fingertips with the lack of keyboard. 

It'll be like typing on a current gen MacBook keyboard.

Please be aware that there may be visual artifacts left behind by the beta testing phase of development. If you see any such artifacts, we recommend that you do not interact with them; we'll weed them out eventually. There's no guarantee that we'll weed them out eventually.

Pyo.

neat... it wont sell well and im not buying one

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D