Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arika S

Folding PCs? Lenovo says "yep"

So after the "Yoga Book"

Image result for yoga book

They came up with this foldable thing...I think the "Y tho" is fairly warranted here: Lenovo, like we get it: you want to compete with the Surface line...Get a real fucking keyboard ok? Even a small one, not a lot of travel that's fine just some fucking tactile feedback. Then I can justify paying you 500 and above since I could actually get some shit done in a pinch if I need to type.

If I need to bring my own bluetooth keyboard then you fucking failed already. Side note: I am finally seeing Amazon bundling the Surface go with the keyboard cover for a reasonable price so really bad timing for people thinking about a really portable secondary device.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah, and outward fold (with leather/faux) fabric cover to protect it, like the Yoga book, would at least make this folding "laptop" a folding tablet.

But as a laptop, it makes no sense. You need a physical keyboard setup (like the MS slate!). Or the size you can hold with one hand, and use the touch screen with another. A laptop tends to reach out of that.

Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Even a small one, not a lot of travel that's fine just some fucking tactile feedback.

i imagine they are going to do the same thing that they did on both voga books, just have a small vibration every time you hit a "key". i tried it out at a store, it was abysmal, it was actually worse than just typing on a glass screen (like a phone or tablet) with no vibration.

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i imagine they are going to do the same thing that they did on both voga books, just have a small vibration every time you hit a "key". i tried it out at a store, it was abysmal, it was actually worse than just typing on a glass screen (like a phone or tablet) with no vibration.

That's what I've heard and read from the reviews on the yoga books, yes.

Also just to clarify a little bit: I am ok with a keyboardless tablet product but the thing about these is that you're charging a lot more because you're selling them as an in-between product: Better than a tablet yet not quite a laptop. So for that kind of premium yeah, either figure out perfect tactile response on a screen (Hint: not happening on a product under 2k) or include a keyboard option somewhere.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

I mean if you're really arguing semantics, it is technically a personal computer.

Is it what some enthusiasts immediately think of upon hearing "PC"? No, but that doesn't change it being one.

The same way a mac or smart phone is "technically a PC".

Literally nobody calls them that.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Lenovo still hasn't figured out how to get a foldable phone to work yet. 🙄

It actually doesn't matter. After finding out I can't get a replacement battery for my perfectly good Lenovo notebook because Lenovo doesn't make the batteries for it anymore and the notebook is DRMed to make it impossible to aftermarket batteries, it will be a freezing cold day in Hell before I buy anything from *&^%$#@! Lenovo.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I remember thinking 2-in-1s were a dumb gimmick, and there's some pretty good ones now. I'm willing to give foldable laptops a chance once manufacturers have a few generations to refine them.

Intel i5-2500k | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1333MHz | EVGA 960 4GB SSC Gaming | EVGA GQ 650 | Crucial M4 128GB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Corsair Carbide 400R

How to pulverize your fingertips:

Step 1:  Be a finger-punching style typist like me.

Step 2:  Buy this foldable PC.

Step 3:  Type up a college-level essay using it.

How to avoid this problem:

Step 1:  Quit drinking the hipster Kool-Aid a buy f**king laptop, dumbass...

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| Logitech Fanboy | #RiseUpAgainstRazer | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

256GB Toshiba M.2 SATA (boot)

1TB 860 EVO SATA III (storage)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

Logitech G930 wireless gaming headset

Other tech: iPhone SE, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT

17 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

I mean if you're really arguing semantics, it is technically a personal computer.

Is it what some enthusiasts immediately think of upon hearing "PC"? No, but that doesn't change it being one.

Yeah, technically one of those goddamn smart-fridges with the screen on them could be a PC, too. 😂

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| Logitech Fanboy | #RiseUpAgainstRazer | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

256GB Toshiba M.2 SATA (boot)

1TB 860 EVO SATA III (storage)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

Logitech G930 wireless gaming headset

Other tech: iPhone SE, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT

I've seen this be called "the future" by a few tech pundits so that tells me right away that this is gonna fail to catch on.

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

I dunno man.....these folding screen things seem so impractical in terms of long-term usage with a niche market of usability beyond just being a novelty for someone when they first get it.

Feels like this is 3DTVs all over again.

Edit: In their current form, at least. Once we're at the stage where we have screens that are basically fabric and just as durable, that's different.

This sounds terrible. Just terrible. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 5/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, Feranoks said:

I mean... It's interesting technology. And I guess some products have to be made for that technology to move forward...

But I don't see the point and I doubt it would be very functional.

Kinda share that opinion but where this tech will shine is in monitor\tv market. Wallpaper tv is similar tech. Folding tvs, folding monitors. For example, having tv that can "pop" out of some box, roll up - is something that is more desirable than phone that can transform into tablet. 

People arent gonna waste money on such gimmicks. They are happy with their screensizes.