Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
absinthe27

PC Masterace Community wake up | "Gaming" laptop quality: Does it exist ? | Are tech reviewers honest? Or just straight scamming us?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone,

Ive never posted here before but ive been watching LTT videos for a long time. The quality of the content has dropped significantly as it mainly consists of advertisements now. Ads about new products isnt new content, it's just reporting what's new in the tech world regarding PRODUCTS. Some years ago i used to learn something from Linus' videos and i owe a lot of my current knowledge regarding the pc/laptop world to him.

Here is one thing Linus forgot to mention: Gaming laptops, especially in the low tier prices of 1000-1200 euros aren't worth your while.

I bought a GL702VM from asus, 6820hk/gtx1060 for 1350ish euros(discount from 1600..). In Europe, that is supposed to be a good deal (prices aren't that great here for electronics usually, especially for pcs/laptops). I was really disappointed with my purchase, i will explain why below by simply presenting the devices shortcomings:

Dim screen/6bit, bad quality in general for such expensive product(im sure using a better screen wouldnt cost asus that much...)

Throttling/overheating, i repasted and undervolted both cpu and gpu(the cpu is unlocked lol.....)

The max tdp of the unlocked cpu is ....55 watts, asus limits it to that...(it was not even mentioned in the product manual). I think that 55watts power limit + unlocked cpu is a prank.

Theres so much flex to this device when you type, it's just makes you wonder why the f* this costs so much (IT'S MOSTLY MADE OF PLASTIC, even an older toshiba laptop i used to have had more metal/was more sturdy than the asus one)

The touchpad feels great but for some reason it stops working/freezes at random times which is simply frustrating when it happens multiple times while using it

Random bootloops/freezing at bios logo sometimes or when waking up from sleep

The above points listed are enough to ruin your experience while using this device, which in my opinion should cost 400 euros less because there are laptops around 800 euros that are sturdier and offer a better user experience than the "premium gaming laptop" described above.

People reviewing this product never actually talked about these issues and you cant really notice them in the store. How can i judge the screen colors and brightness with all the intensive store lighting ?

I think that product reviewers dont really care that much about helping us find the right device, but instead they want the money/benefits these tech companies are offering.

I miss learning something from an LTT video and I am sure so do you.

These companies that make LOW QUALITY yet EXPENSIVE devices should change course and that is only possible if we refuse to buy these products and finally be more strict with their offerings by asking more practical questions like ,does it throttle? is the screen looking good brightness/color wise? is the device well made or is it mostly plastic?

Thank you for reading this and i hope you learned something from my crappy experience as i learn from other peoples crappy experiences online.

Idk man. I think Linus's team does a pretty good job with all the device reviews they do. They go through pretty much your exact list, and then some, when reviewing any laptop. If they did a review of that laptop, I'm sure you would have chosen differently then, as they would have found the same results as you. I won't say my opinions on laptops or "gaiming" laptops, but 1000-1200 bucks for a laptop is not "low tier prices". I can barely afford 500 bucks myself.

You bought a laptop that skimps on build quality in favor of higher specs. If you want better build quality you either need to spend more to keep the same specs and improve build quality or spend the same and get lower performance. I googled reviews for the laptop and none of them are saying its amazing. Its a little presumptive to group all tech reviewers together because you had one bad experience when it seems like you didn't do your homework before buying. Also, only 3 videos out of linus' last 30 were sponsored. 

My last two laptops were gaming laptops, purchased from Dell's Inspiron Gaming series which have similar specs, dimensions, weight, and cost (maybe) as the ASUS laptop you've purchased. I've had zero issues with them. I mean, the screens weren't the best, but unless I'm doing professional grade photo or video editing (which I don't) and the colors aren't entirely off the mark, I don't really care.

However at the end of the day. you can't expect the same level of value on laptops, especially from system builders, as you can with a desktop.

Reporting on tech news and doing reviews isn't content? Are you mad? Sure it's fun to get tutorials now and then and learn some stuff, but once you're like most of the people on this forum and have some baseline knowledge that kind of content is going to get old, and you know what you do? You keep up with tech. That's what this is all about. You have an interest in tech and hence keep up with it and learn a lot along the way. And just because you got one bad laptop, that doesn't mean all reviewers are lying bastards who just want to take their money and run--they're not, and to say so to these creators who put unreal amounts of time and effort into their videos so you can make a good purchase is absurd. You know Dave2D? That guy works a job, and he takes time out of his busy life to tell you what laptops are good and bad. And low quality yet expensive devices? You're joking. We have more value than we've ever had! Overall garbage post.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

*Breathes in, rolls eye*

59 minutes ago, absinthe27 said:

Here is one thing Linus forgot to mention: Gaming laptops, especially in the low tier prices of 1000-1200 euros aren't worth your while.

I bought a GL702VM from asus, 6820hk/gtx1060 for 1350ish euros(discount from 1600..). In Europe, that is supposed to be a good deal (prices aren't that great here for electronics usually, especially for pcs/laptops). I was really disappointed with my purchase

So you were disappointed with a specific product, therefore you assume every product in the same category is equally bad and not worth the money? Talk about dishonesty and lackluster research.

1 hour ago, absinthe27 said:

Dim screen/6bit, bad quality in general for such expensive product(im sure using a better screen wouldnt cost asus that much...)

Do you think 6820HK cpus and gtx 1060s were cheap 2 years ago, when the product you bought wasn't obsolete? As you found out the hard way, there's more to a laptop than pure horsepower. Next time buy something with a little less juice but with a more well rounded design (better yet, buy it used and save some money for a better product); I'm sure the 6bit tn screen was clearly described in the laptop's spec sheet and that an IPS version was also available for a higher price.

People reviewing this product never actually talked about these issues

Why do you blame LTT for your decision to buy a product they didn't review? What are you even talking about? Moreover, why do you complain about their current lack of laptop reviews when your laptop came out 2 years ago?

How can i judge the screen colors and brightness with all the intensive store lighting?

It's actually extremely easy if you know what you're doing. Just look at it from an angle and if you'll instantly know if it's a trash TN or not. The difference is literally impossible not to notice.

image.png.9fef102ce4d826fd574597e9d27b4250.png

(also these are some actually damn good laptops...)

These companies that make LOW QUALITY yet EXPENSIVE devices should change course and that is only possible if we refuse to buy these products and finally be more strict with their offerings by asking more practical questions like ,does it throttle? is the screen looking good brightness/color wise? is the device well made or is it mostly plastic?

You mean the things Linus mentions literally in every single laptop review he has ever filmed? Just out of curiosity I dug up this review of a laptop similar to yours from 2017

And guess what? Screen quality, materials, thermals and more are all covered.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I appreciate you guys reading and replying to my post.

It feels a bit weird defending these guys to that extent, but its okay.

I'm obviously dissatisfied with my choice, but I'm trying to be objective.

Someone mentioned Dave, he is actually one of my favorite youtubers. Its a bit ironic, but you should check out his latest video on the zephyrus craptop.

I do not support the extremes, all im saying is that when all of these guys review a product usually when it comes to a negative aspect of it they don't highlight it, they mention it but then they move forward faster than usual and present 10 more reasons why you should buy it.

That way, the viewers don't have a clear view of the situation and might make the wrong choice.

It would be better if Linus (its his forum after all :D) would criticize more than just present the good but sometimes not really useful aspects of the reviewed devices. This would make it harder for people to buy these products, sending manufacturers the message that they need to offer better value no matter the price point.

Everyone benefits from this, consumers enjoying higher quality products, big companies gaining the true respect of tech enthusiasts and Linus presenting innovative gadgets to his audience.

2 hours ago, absinthe27 said:

I do not support the extremes, all im saying is that when all of these guys review a product usually when it comes to a negative aspect of it they don't highlight it, they mention it but then they move forward faster than usual and present 10 more reasons why you should buy it.

2 hours ago, absinthe27 said:

It would be better if Linus (its his forum after all :D) would criticize more than just present the good but sometimes not really useful aspects of the reviewed devices. This would make it harder for people to buy these products, sending manufacturers the message that they need to offer better value no matter the price point.

Linus and his team do exactly as you're saying here. When there's an issue, they don't just brush over it. They have charts, explanations, and even B-roll of the issues (like keyboard or chassis flex for example). I don't honestly understand your post, mate. There is a difference between a sponsored product video where they talk about it and make it almost infomercial like (trying to convince you to buy it), vs a review video where they talk pros and cons and don't sway you one way or another (unless the product is really bad). They're usually very clear as to which one is which (and legally they have to I think). Perhaps you're getting those two mixed up here.

17 hours ago, absinthe27 said:

I'm obviously dissatisfied with my choice, but I'm trying to be objective.

You're also basing said "objectiveness" on one product.

I have a laptop of similar class. It experiences none of those issues you've had except sure, the screen could be better. But unless I'm paying $1500 for a laptop with reasonably high-end guts, I'm not expecting an amazing screen anyway. Something's gotta give when I'm paying ~$1000 for a laptop that has gaming chops.

I don’t know man.

The GL502/702 line is one of those laptops that you either love or despise. I own the GL502VM and in my nearly 2 years of owning it, I can say that the performance is great but there are many niggling faults that annoy me from time to time that really should have more thought put into them. Some of them are;

• The exhaust vents being partially obstructed when the laptop unfolds
  • The laughably obstructed intake vents
  • Mediocre thermal performance out of the box (better with a -100mV undervolt on the Kaby Lake models but requires a CPU and GPU repaste nonetheless)
  • The lack of a clear distinction between 60Hz and 120Hz SKUs (and the mere existence of a 60Hz SKU)

There are more, but these are the most obvious ones out of the bat. I don’t really care that it’s made out of plastic with an aluminum lid (I’ve just used a laptop that has a rubberized soft-touch plastic finish on the palmrest but feels reassuringly sturdy) but only if the interior is suitably reinforced. A plastic exterior with a really strong chassis is fine in my books. Not a big fan of having all-metal gaming machines, especially since they get hot, and metals are good heat conductors.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5