Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Context

First Home Server Project (Hardware)

Posted · Original PosterOP

Greetings my fellow computer enthusiasts,

I recently began my plans for my first home server. I am partly doing this to put into practice what I have been learning in my Computer Science Master program and partly doing it for fun. While I am confident on the software side of things I would like an nth opinion from those more experienced in hardware. Here is the link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kwQrNQ

Most of the time it will be a simple home media server but I will also be using it in personal data science projects in the future, hopefully, by then my ram will be past the 100GB mark

I wanted to find a high quality, but economicly priced power system around 400W but only found some in the 550W range which were still in stock. The current wattage is a bit low comparatively because I do plan on expanding and maxing out my drive capacity as well as adding ram.

I will be shucking those hard drives to drive the price down.

Is this design ok, should I make minor modifications or restart from scratch?

Can you go used? id look at something like a used dell r720 or r730 instead. you get much more bang for your buck, and there are some weird choises in your system.

looking at that system.

-why 2011-3, got lga 3647 if your going new

-why a400? Id get a better ssd, unless that is just a hypervisor boot, then get a drive to run vms on

-Im assuming your getting more than one stick of ram.

- I don't think that cooler will fit as the mobo is narrow and the cooler is normal

-why gt 710? The mobo has a igpu, and the 710 is way to slow to bother with for gpu computer.

Also power usage will be much lower than what the psu is rated for, thats just a max. This will probably idle at around 100w.

Perhaps consider going used hardware with something like this

Motherboard: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-X9DRI-F-Dual-Socket-XEON-LGA2011-Extended-ATX-Server-Motherboard/303029793059

CPU: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2695-V2-12-Core-2-4GHz-30MB-SR1BA-CPU-Processor/372648114890

Far more powerful CPU with 12C/24T @ 2.4Ghz vs 6C/12T @ 1.7Ghz. Great if you want to transcode or something like virtualisation or run simulations for learning. 

It has 2 CPU slots so you can always expand by adding a second CPU later to double your cores & memory. 

It uses DDR3 which is far cheaper for buying 128GB if you need that much for some reason.

Spoiler

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6ghz | EVGA Z77 FTW | 2 x EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3, Corsair SP120's | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | OCZ ZX 1250w | Samsung 28" 4K Display | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Corsair 400R, IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF, Seasonic X-Series 650w PSU, 2 x Xeon E5540's, 24GB DDR3-ECC, Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i, RES2SV240 SAS Expander, Samsung 840Evo 120GB, 2 x 8TB Seagate Archives, 12 x 3TB WD Red

Thanks, Jarsky, I will look into those and probably adjust.

I grabbed that video card because it had an hdmi port, so I can directly plug into my TV, unless I am wrong it should be able to handle a 4k video

The GT710 i can 100% confirm can NOT handle 4K Video, 1080P is its limit, 1440P is choppy.

I have one in a spare computer in the shed and even youtube 1080 is not 60FPS

Thanks!

Updated Server Setup:

Motherboard (not on PCPP yet): https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRi-F.cfm

I think I still need some case fans but its super late and fans should be super easy. The power supply should be able to handle 6 additional HDD's and another 2-4 32GB memory sticks with the opitmal range of being 10-15% below the actual W.

Thoughts, critiques, angry rants?

4 hours ago, Context said:

Thanks!

Updated Server Setup:

Motherboard (not on PCPP yet): https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRi-F.cfm

I think I still need some case fans but its super late and fans should be super easy. The power supply should be able to handle 6 additional HDD's and another 2-4 32GB memory sticks with the opitmal range of being 10-15% below the actual W.

Thoughts, critiques, angry rants?

Looking good, but keep in mind with FreeNAS you cannot add disks at a later time to a VDEV. 

So with 2 disks like you have 2 x 8TB - you can set up a mirrored VDEV for 8TB (7.2TB usable) space, and then create a second VDEV later as you need more space, and add it to the ZPOOL to increase your total space.  But keep in mind that this setup you lose 50% space across the pool. 

You might be better to just run 1 CPU to start with, and use the $$ to get an extra 8TB drive to create a RAIDZ1 to give you 16TB space with 3 disks....it's a better trade off for space vs redundancy vs cost. 

That PSU should be fine. I'm running the same PSU with dual LGA1366 Xeons, 6 sticks of RAM, 7 fans (+2 coolers) and 15 drives

Spoiler

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6ghz | EVGA Z77 FTW | 2 x EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3, Corsair SP120's | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | OCZ ZX 1250w | Samsung 28" 4K Display | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Corsair 400R, IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF, Seasonic X-Series 650w PSU, 2 x Xeon E5540's, 24GB DDR3-ECC, Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i, RES2SV240 SAS Expander, Samsung 840Evo 120GB, 2 x 8TB Seagate Archives, 12 x 3TB WD Red

@Jarsky I don't plan on using FreeNas, I am familiar with Linux and will probably use Ubuntu. However, I am open to changing my mind. I want the freedom to change and update on a six month basis and from what it looks like your saying it is tougher to add drives with FreeNas. As mentioned before I am much more confident on the software side of things.

1 hour ago, Context said:

@Jarsky I don't plan on using FreeNas, I am familiar with Linux and will probably use Ubuntu. However, I am open to changing my mind. I want the freedom to change and update on a six month basis and from what it looks like your saying it is tougher to add drives with FreeNas. As mentioned before I am much more confident on the software side of things.

Sorry so many freenas threads recently, had it in my mind that you were wanting to use ZFS 😅

MDADM has flexibility to move from a 2 disk RAID1 to RAID5, and to expand so all good. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Sorry so many freenas threads recently, had it in my mind that you were wanting to use ZFS 😅

MDADM has flexibility to move from a 2 disk RAID1 to RAID5, and to expand so all good. 

At least it's not another unRAID thread 😉