Questions regarding noctua cooler

IdontKnow
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

No, it wouldn't fit. The NH-D15 by itself barely fits with the fans lowered. 

If you would like alternative suggestions, tell us where you're shopping / located, your budget, and what cpu and ram you're using, and what you're looking for in a cooler.

Hi guys.Im thinking of pulling the trigger on an nh d15 with the chromax heatsink(comes in a set btw and the noctua site states that the chromax heatsink adds about 5mm height).So I just wanted to ask would it be possible to fit the noctua nh d15 with the chromax heatsink in the phanteks p350x?Thanks.

1 minute ago, IdontKnow said:

Hi guys.Just wanted to ask would it be possible to fit the noctua nh d15 with the chromax heatsink in the phanteks p350x?Thanks.

Looks like it.

1 hour ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Looks like it.

Thanks for your input. ?(btw i forgot to add that the chromax heatsinks increase the height of the cooler by 5mm)

If you would like alternative suggestions, tell us where you're shopping / located, your budget, and what cpu and ram you're using, and what you're looking for in a cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Damn:(.Budget is around 100$.Planning to OC my 8700k to around 4.8-5Ghz once ive gotten my motherboard.planning to upgrade to 3200mhz tridentz ram.Kinda strictly looking for air coolers due to the noise and maintenance.Looking for extremely good cooling performance while being relatively silent.

http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P350X.html

Clearance for CPU cooler: 160mm

https://noctua.at/en/products/product-lines/line-chromax/na-hc3-chromax-black-swap/specification

"The covers increase the height of the heatsink by 5mm (from 160 to 165mm)"

So, that, unfortunately, won't fit. :/ Without the chromax kit it would fit (just).

EDIT: what you could do (try it beforehand, though), is putting 5mm washers (or more) on the screws between the side panel and the case, so the side panel is 5mm further away from the components.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

4 hours ago, IdontKnow said:

Damn:(.Budget is around 100$.Planning to OC my 8700k to around 4.8-5Ghz once ive gotten my motherboard.planning to upgrade to 3200mhz tridentz ram.Kinda strictly looking for air coolers due to the noise and maintenance.Looking for extremely good cooling performance while being relatively silent.

Ninja 5 is good: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dZ3H99/scythe-ninja-5-430-cfm-cpu-cooler-scnj-5000

If you want a bit of white, the LGMRT is slightly better: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B8rcCJ/thermalright-cpu-cooler-legrandmachort

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Thanks!The ninja 5 costs slightly less than half of the nh d15 and drp4 here but not really a fan of the looks.I'll consider it but it'll be at the back of the list haha.Unfortunately the LGMRT costs as much as the nh d15 and drp4.Btw how does the performance compare with the drp4 and nh d15?

18 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Looks like it.

By the looks, thats U12S in the case.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P350X.html

Clearance for CPU cooler: 160mm

https://noctua.at/en/products/product-lines/line-chromax/na-hc3-chromax-black-swap/specification

"The covers increase the height of the heatsink by 5mm (from 160 to 165mm)"

So, that, unfortunately, won't fit. :/ Without the chromax kit it would fit (just).

EDIT: what you could do (try it beforehand, though), is putting 5mm washers (or more) on the screws between the side panel and the case, so the side panel is 5mm further away from the components.

Thanks!Yeah sucks that it wont fit ☹️.Ill keep that washer suggestion in mind. ?

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Look again.  There are 2 fin stacks.  U12 only has 1. But I agree it's not the D-15.  Maybe an older cooler they don't sell anymore?

noctua_nh_u12s_2_4.jpg

10 hours ago, IdontKnow said:

Thanks!The ninja 5 costs slightly less than half of the nh d15 and drp4 here but not really a fan of the looks.I'll consider it but it'll be at the back of the list haha.Unfortunately the LGMRT costs as much as the nh d15 and drp4.Btw how does the performance compare with the drp4 and nh d15?

The LGMRT is similar to the DRP4 and NH-D15S -- slightly worse than the NH-D15. 

What don't you like about the Ninja 5's looks? I'm not sure what aesthetic you're after. 

Where are you shopping / located?

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

1 hour ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Look again.  There are 2 fin stacks.  U12 only has 1. But I agree it's not the D-15.  Maybe an older cooler they don't sell anymore?

It's the NH-D14 heatsink with NF-A12x25 fans. 

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Didn't notice 2nd heatsink :D

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I see it as a NH-D14 with dual NF-A12x25 #nudgingmyglasses

NVM.. I didnt see the other responds before me..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What don't you like about the Ninja 5's looks? I'm not sure what aesthetic you're after. 

Yeah cant get my hands on any kind of TR products here unfortunately :(.Regarding the ninja 5 looks I guess its the unpolished look of the top of the heatsink which faces out.Like the pointy end of the heatpipes sticking out that are not black like the top.Looks a little messy I guess.The top aesthetics of the drp4 is something that I prefer.

Look for a Gammaxx GT BK. Comes with RGB fans and top cap.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

4 hours ago, fluxdeity said:

Look for a Gammaxx GT BK. Comes with RGB fans and top cap.

Thanks but i doubt that'll be able to cool an 8700k effectively.

On 5/15/2019 at 3:42 AM, WoodenMarker said:

btw would this ram be compatible with the ninja 5?

13 hours ago, IdontKnow said:

Yeah cant get my hands on any kind of TR products here unfortunately :(.Regarding the ninja 5 looks I guess its the unpolished look of the top of the heatsink which faces out.Like the pointy end of the heatpipes sticking out that are not black like the top.Looks a little messy I guess.The top aesthetics of the drp4 is something that I prefer.

Where are you shopping / located ?

Most coolers don't have additional end caps on top of the heatpipes like the DRP4. It's additional cost that doesn't provide any benefits outside of aesthetics. 

8 hours ago, IdontKnow said:

Thanks but i doubt that'll be able to cool an 8700k effectively.

The Gammaxx GT is plenty for cooling the 8700k at stock settings or with a minor oc but there are definitely better options available. 

1 hour ago, IdontKnow said:

btw would this ram be compatible with the ninja 5?

Yes, there's a cutout on the heatsink that allows for ram up to 55mm. That being said, it'll overhang the ram which would nullify the point of the rgb.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping / located ?

Most coolers don't have additional end caps on top of the heatpipes like the DRP4. It's additional cost that doesn't provide any benefits outside of aesthetics. 

The Gammaxx GT is plenty for cooling the 8700k at stock settings or with a minor oc but there are definitely better options available. 

Yes, there's a cutout on the heatsink that allows for ram up to 55mm. That being said, it'll overhang the ram which would nullify the point of the rgb.

Decided not to grab the ram and hold off my build to see what amd has up its sleeve.Will keep the suggested coolers in mind.