Main PC can no longer find the file share for my game server

Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,

problem specific to 1809 it seems... the best you can do is downgrade or wait for a fix

I have a PC that I set up for use strictly for running game servers. However, I can no longer access the file share on the server using file explorer from my desktop. My laptop and a couple of other PCs around my house can still access it just fine, just not my main desktop. Which is aggravating because it's the one I mainly use to remote into the server. Remote Desktop still works from this PC, just not file explorer. I've attached a screenshot with an error code.

Capture.PNG

problem specific to 1809 it seems... the best you can do is downgrade or wait for a fix

Try restarting "function discovery resource publication" in the services app.

Since updating my windows install I often have to do this before my main PC is able to pick up my server's network shared drives.

15 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

My ability to easily revert to an older version is not available, so it seems like my best option is waiting for a fix. Thanks for the response.

14 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

Try restarting "function discovery resource publication" in the services app.

Since updating my windows install I often have to do this before my main PC is able to pick up my server's network shared drives.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but with no luck. Looks like it's back to using a flash drive on the server but still remoting into it.

Give this a try on your main PC

Type regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following path in regedit
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

For 32 bit system, create a new DWORD value called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
For 64 bit system, make a QWORD (64-bit) called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy

Double Click the new key to Modify
Set the value to numeric 1 and click OK.

Restart your computer and try to access your shared drive

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

16 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Give this a try on your main PC

Type regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following path in regedit
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

For 32 bit system, create a new DWORD value called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
For 64 bit system, make a QWORD (64-bit) called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy

Double Click the new key to Modify
Set the value to numeric 1 and click OK.

Restart your computer and try to access your shared drive

Thanks for the suggestion, this was actually one of my previous attempts at fixing it. Did not work unfortunately.

Have you tried disabling IPv6? 

Which Windows version is running on the Game Server?

You could also try doing this:

Open regedit
Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\
Create D-WORD AllowInsecureGuestAuth

Since its specific to file sharing - you could lastly try enabling SMB1.0 for testing purposes..

(Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Tick "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" > OK

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

Have you tried disabling IPv6? 

Which Windows version is running on the Game Server?

Since its specific to file sharing - you could try enabling SMB1.0 for testing purposes..

(Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Tick "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" > OK

I've also tried both of these with no luck. I spent about 2 hours troubleshooting yesterday with no solution.

I'm running Windows Server 2016 for the game server. But I don't think it has anything to do with the server considering that my laptop can still use the file sharing with the server. And my laptop is on Windows 10, I think it's on 1803 though.

Guessing using the server's domain name instead of the ip address doesn't worth either? 

2 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

I've also tried both of these with no luck. I spent about 2 hours troubleshooting yesterday with no solution.

I'm running Windows Server 2016 for the game server. But I don't think it has anything to do with the server considering that my laptop can still use the file sharing with the server. And my laptop is on Windows 10, I think it's on 1803 though.

Can you try the registry key i added in my last post? 

If it still doesn't work - maybe check Control Panel > Programs and Features > installed Updates 

And try uninstalling any KB's that were recently installed (since the problem started happening)

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Guessing using the server's domain name instead of the ip address doesn't worth either? 

Different error code, but it's the same issue, works for remote desktop, but not file sharing.

Capture2.PNG

You could also try the net use command. Even if it doesn't work it might give you a better error message then the super detailed 0x80004005 unspecified error.

it I remember right it should go something like this.

net use * "\\192.168.254.100\sharedfolder" /persistent:no

Edit, I should mentioned 'sharedfolder' was just a placeholder. You need to change it to a name of an actual shared folder on your server.

9 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Can you try the registry key i added in my last post? 

If it still doesn't work - maybe check Control Panel > Programs and Features > installed Updates 

And try uninstalling any KB's that were recently installed (since the problem started happening)

Like I said, I've already tried the regedit solution, it did not solve the issue.

I'm removing update that were done in the past couple weeks to see what happens, I know I was able to access it around the end of last month.

Capture3.PNG

8 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

You could also try the net use command. Even if it doesn't work it might give you a better error message then the super detailed 0x80004005 unspecified error.

it I remember right it should go something like this.

net use * "\\192.168.254.100\sharedfolder" /persistent:no

Just tried this, here is what I got.

Capture4.PNG

Alright, deleting updates up to about two weeks ago seems to have solved the issue. Windows is still on 1809, but I can now access the shares again. It does seem to be an issue with 1809 though. The other systems in my house are running 1803 still and have no issue connecting to the server for file sharing.

2 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

Alright, deleting updates up to about two weeks ago seems to have solved the issue. Windows is still on 1809, but I can now access the shares again. It does seem to be an issue with 1809 though. The other systems in my house are running 1803 still and have no issue connecting to the server for file sharing.

Glad you got it working.

35 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

Like I said, I've already tried the regedit solution, it did not solve the issue.

I'm removing update that were done in the past couple weeks to see what happens, I know I was able to access it around the end of last month.

I was talking about this key

Open regedit
Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\
Create D-WORD AllowInsecureGuestAuth

But since its working after uninstalling those updates, all good. I

Spoiler

Spoiler