So the LG 34WK95U-W has epic burn-in issues

Serin

And I now have 2K AUD burning a hole in my pocket.
What the hell is out there that's comparable, but doesn't suffer from the same issues?
Rtings had claimed that the panel had precisely zero burn-in issues, so I'm a bit iffy about trusting them now. 
My use case is pretty much just production, specifically 3D art suites. 

I'm now on my second 34WK95U-W, after returning the first one over the weekend(purchased last Thursday the 9th). Didn't realise the first one was a burn-n issue as it was only burning in one some nebula-like shapes from my background. Had originally thought the weird greyish streak was some kind of lamination issue.
Today I left the new one on with some monitoring going and well... its still on the screen 2 hours later as if some kind of ghost.
Bleh! Its so pretty! 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

10 minutes ago, Serin said:

And I now have 2K AUD burning a hole in my pocket.
What the hell is out there that's comparable, but doesn't suffer from the same issues?
Rtings had claimed that the panel had precisely zero burn-in issues, so I'm a bit iffy about trusting them now. 
My use case is pretty much just production, specifically 3D art suites. 

I'm now on my second 34WK95U-W, after returning the first one over the weekend(purchased last Thursday the 9th). Didn't realise the first one was a burn-n issue as it was only burning in one some nebula-like shapes from my background. Had originally thought the weird greyish streak was some kind of lamination issue.
Today I left the new one on with some monitoring going and well... its still on the screen 2 hours later as if some kind of ghost.
Bleh! Its so pretty! 

Avoid OLED screens for typical everyday use on computers. OLED monitor technology is worse for burn in issues. A standard IPS or VA panels typically seem to do the best. You just dont get that 5K display ?

4 minutes ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

Avoid OLED screens for typical everyday use on computers. OLED monitor technology is worse for burn in issues. A standard IPS or VA panels typically seem to do the best. You just dont get that 5K display ?

What makes you think that?

That monitor is IPS ofc, if there was an 5k OLED monitor that would be a big deal, but as of now, there still is no real OLED monitors on the market.

I would try the 34WK95U-W one last time, because LG makes great displays. Where are you buying it from?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

Yeah, wasn't planning on going OLED. Fairly sure there just ain't options there in the ultrawide variety.
This LG's an IPS panel - read that maybe this epic burn-in issue was related to the nano-ips coating, but am unsure as to sauce on that.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

What makes you think that?

That monitor is IPS ofc, if there was an 5k OLED monitor that would be a big deal, but as of now, there still is no real OLED monitors on the market.

I would try the 34WK95U-W one last time, because LG makes great displays. Where are you buying it from?

Scorptec in South Melb.
I'm on my second now, so I mean... chances are if there was something stuffed about this particular batch, it'll be there on the other one they had in stock.

Cheese monger.

I highly .. HIGHLY doubt thats actual burn in. LCD's dont burn in, sure they can degrade but you would have to have a static image on the screen constantly for months on end without even the slightest break for it to even become slightly noticeable.

However, there are some defects that sometimes, rarely make it through QA, which resemble burn in, but is in fact just a faulty panel, some issues can be fixed with a firmware update, others are panel faults.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 hours ago, SolarNova said:

I highly .. HIGHLY doubt thats actual burn in. LCD's dont burn in, sure they can degrade but you would have to have a static image on the screen constantly for months on end without even the slightest break for it to even become slightly noticeable.

However, there are some defects that sometimes, rarely make it through QA, which resemble burn in, but is in fact just a faulty panel, some issues can be fixed with a firmware update, others are panel faults.

I can, or at least I could, clearly see my GPU's temp after I left the monitor up for 15 minutes yesterday - despite said monitor being minimised.
Not to mention the brightest parts of my background.
If not burn-in, then serious image retention.
Being even more careful with it today, and will take some shots later tonight when the suns buggered off. 

Cheese monger.

Ok.
Pics taken.
This was probably 15-20 mins worth of on time with just the background showing, and taken about 20 after that. Still there now, hours later.
You can clearly see the brightest streak of nebula there.

Onv6cgZ.jpg

5YQ7C1v.jpg

Cheese monger.

• 1 year later...

Serin, I'm very curious - How'd it go for you afterwards? Did you stick with the display? I was looking at buying this monitor as well but at a good discount. Not sure I want the challenges you faced in this. Thanks for your insight 🙂

7 hours ago, iGeeKy said:

Serin, I'm very curious - How'd it go for you afterwards? Did you stick with the display? I was looking at buying this monitor as well but at a good discount. Not sure I want the challenges you faced in this. Thanks for your insight 🙂

Hey,
Yeah look... I'm still on my second one of these. Its got similar issues, but nowhere near the level of permanence of the first one.
At the same time, I've been incredibly careful to minimise the static shapes that get left on it where I can. Its just a permanent state of paranoia about burn in.
Including the use of an animated background to keep things fluid when I'm using the PC but not the main monitor.

At this stage, it'd have to be a pretty big discount to make me consider buying one, if I were considering doing it again.
The HDR is brilliant for games like Horizon Zero Dawn where there's just sooo much light. But the cruddy edge-lit setup is blatantly obvious and slow in Cyberpunk(though I think its HDR is still kinda broken), and frankly I just leave it off.
I'm also starting to think maybe 5k2k is too many pixels. The scaling stuff... eh.

Cheese monger.

• 5 months later...

Was the burn in issue meanwhile fixed ? Or are theses modesll still affected ?

LG wrote me :

I understand your concern about the display, and actually, there is no reported burn in case of this specific model. Rest assured, our quality control team is checking the unit thoroughly before releasing it to the market to avoid any issue with the monitor. 

• 1 month later...

I bought my LG34 in January and I've just noticed this problem when switching to my PC laptop from my Mac.

I can see the bottom row of icons in the grey Windows bar at the bottom of the screen, horizontal stripes across the screen and areas where I use the screen less are clearly brighter than the rest of the screen. Not sure if this is burn in or retention, but it's still there after 30 minutes...

I'm going to see if displaying a white image for 30 minutes removes this ghosting, if it's still there then I suspect some form of burn in rather than image retention. Shame if the former, as it's otherwise a great screen.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, eZerano said:

noone ?

10 hours ago, jandersonhill said:

I bought my LG34 in January and I've just noticed this problem when switching to my PC laptop from my Mac.

I can see the bottom row of icons in the grey Windows bar at the bottom of the screen, horizontal stripes across the screen and areas where I use the screen less are clearly brighter than the rest of the screen. Not sure if this is burn in or retention, but it's still there after 30 minutes...

I'm going to see if displaying a white image for 30 minutes removes this ghosting, if it's still there then I suspect some form of burn in rather than image retention. Shame if the former, as it's otherwise a great screen.

LCD's normally are immune to OLED-like burn in. I've never seen any burn-in happen myself on any of my LCD screens be it TN, VA or IPS. Not even my OLED TV that is almost two years old now doesn't show ANY sign of burn-in yet. And i have never seen anyone having burn-in or image-retention issues with LG's IPS monitors in particular. Plus if it's present on multiple monitors i can almost guarantee that this is not a monitor issue. The chances of one IPS monitor having these issues are next to nothing. But two? Chances are so slim it's not even possible imo. Because of that i'd rule out that the monitor is the problem.

In any case Rtings.com is not to blame what's happening here. It's either a problem with @Serin's PC or an extremely rare defect. What they say about the general immunity to burn-in with TN, IPS and VA displays is a fact.

There is temporary image retention, which looks like burn-in but is gone a few minutes after switching to another image (i. e. from your desktop to your software). This can also happen on LCD's but is non-permanent and extremely rare.

I'd go and use DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safe mode, then reinstall the latest GPU driver afterwards. You can also try to use the "studio" driver version, as there is a lot more verification involved to make sure that Nvidia's professional users don't run into any issues. These are just not the most recent drivers for the newest games.

Also switch out the cable. A low quality cable having problems with 5K is also possible.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

-

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 8/5/2021 at 5:45 PM, Stahlmann said:

LCD's normally are immune to OLED-like burn in. I've never seen any burn-in happen myself on any of my LCD screens be it TN, VA or IPS. Not even my OLED TV that is almost two years old now doesn't show ANY sign of burn-in yet. And i have never seen anyone having burn-in or image-retention issues with LG's IPS monitors in particular. Plus if it's present on multiple monitors i can almost guarantee that this is not a monitor issue. The chances of one IPS monitor having these issues are next to nothing. But two? Chances are so slim it's not even possible imo. Because of that i'd rule out that the monitor is the problem.

In any case Rtings.com is not to blame what's happening here. It's either a problem with @Serin's PC or an extremely rare defect. What they say about the general immunity to burn-in with TN, IPS and VA displays is a fact.

There is temporary image retention, which looks like burn-in but is gone a few minutes after switching to another image (i. e. from your desktop to your software). This can also happen on LCD's but is non-permanent and extremely rare.

I'd go and use DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safe mode, then reinstall the latest GPU driver afterwards. You can also try to use the "studio" driver version, as there is a lot more verification involved to make sure that Nvidia's professional users don't run into any issues. These are just not the most recent drivers for the newest games.

Also switch out the cable. A low quality cable having problems with 5K is also possible.

Out of curiosity, how much work are you doing with static shapes on your panels?
Production software etc that has to stay up on the panel for however long it takes to complete whatever you're creating?
Better yet, how much near-black stuff are you doing?
Because that's where its bleedingly obvious, in my experience. Particularly of issue given how much of the production software space is filled with near-black menus etc.

Shit, even my old 2015 samsung VA ultrawide that now sits off to the right of my LG 5K2K has the start bar burned in and visible in near-blacks despite not having a start bar on it for just a bit over 2 years.

Open photoshop and bucket fill a few different shades of near-black at your screen res, then full screen 'em and check out that shit in a low ambient light setting.

Cheese monger.

3 minutes ago, Serin said:

Out of curiosity, how much work are you doing with static shapes on your panels?
Production software etc that has to stay up on the panel for however long it takes to complete whatever you're creating?
Better yet, how much near-black stuff are you doing?
Because that's where its bleedingly obvious, in my experience. Particularly of issue given how much of the production software space is filled with near-black menus etc.

Shit, even my old 2015 samsung VA ultrawide that now sits off to the right of my LG 5K2K has the start bar burned in and visible in near-blacks despite not having a start bar on it for just a bit over 2 years.

Open photoshop and bucket fill a few different shades of near-black at your screen res, then full screen 'em and check out that shit in a low ambient light setting.

I don't do any work on my home PC. But be it browsing or gaming there are many static shapes that can be displayed for hours on end each day. But i use dark mode whereever i can and keep my screens fairly dim (calibrated to around 150 nits), so near-black content is definetly not uncommon.

Of couse monitors don't have perfect near-black uniformity. That's just another issue with backlit monitors. But i haven't seen any visible change in any of my screens over the years. Like i said not even my 2 year old OLED (which are known for these issues) shows any signs of burn-in or image retention.

11 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I don't do any work on my home PC. But be it browsing or gaming there are many static shapes that can be displayed for hours on end each day. But i use dark mode whereever i can and keep my screens fairly dim (calibrated to around 150 nits), so near-black content is definetly not uncommon.

Of couse monitors don't have perfect near-black uniformity. That's just another issue with backlit monitors. But i haven't seen any visible change in any of my screens over the years. Like i said not even my 2 year old OLED (which are known for these issues) shows any signs of burn-in or image retention.

I don't mean low brightness content (and obviously couldn't, given how critical brightness is in production work). In fact its fairly clear from the above pix and my own experience that its almost exclusively whiter shapes/windows etc that stay fairly permanent.
What I mean is the retention/burn-in/whatever shows up clearest in near-black windows, like the workspace of premiere pro, or blender default, as examples.

One of the best examples I've found is Marvelous Designer where the pattern window in white takes up half the screen space, with the other half taken up by a darker grey 3d window.
After a while, that divider line between them will show up for hours. Reckon if I was working in MD for a full day, the panel would be permanently buggered, just like my first one was as shown in the images I posted a couple of years ago of the bright spots in nebulae burning in.

And just for reference, this is an issue that has followed me across 3 or 4 PC's worth of hardware configs. 4 GPUs, 3 CPUs and obvs multiple cables.
Just to eliminate your 'it must be something else' hypothesis. 

Cheese monger.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2021 at 12:23 PM, Serin said:

I don't mean low brightness content (and obviously couldn't, given how critical brightness is in production work). In fact its fairly clear from the above pix and my own experience that its almost exclusively whiter shapes/windows etc that stay fairly permanent.
What I mean is the retention/burn-in/whatever shows up clearest in near-black windows, like the workspace of premiere pro, or blender default, as examples.

One of the best examples I've found is Marvelous Designer where the pattern window in white takes up half the screen space, with the other half taken up by a darker grey 3d window.
After a while, that divider line between them will show up for hours. Reckon if I was working in MD for a full day, the panel would be permanently buggered, just like my first one was as shown in the images I posted a couple of years ago of the bright spots in nebulae burning in.

And just for reference, this is an issue that has followed me across 3 or 4 PC's worth of hardware configs. 4 GPUs, 3 CPUs and obvs multiple cables.
Just to eliminate your 'it must be something else' hypothesis. 

Not sure what you are talking about. Doing coding on my monitors 8-14 hours every working day, with panels-menus which are white on a Mac staying there always. During the last 15 years I had 4 monitors, Dell 2407WFP, Dell u2715h, Asus pg279q and now just a cheapo Samsung 32UR59C. And looking at this LG as a possible upgrade. Never ever-ever during those 15 years I've seen any sign of burn in on va or its panels.

• 1 month later...

One more person (me) with burn-in issues on 34WK95U-W. Windows taskbar is clearly visible on grey background, even when connected to Mac.

• 2 months later...

This happened randomly on new years day - fantastic birthday present really.

Off to RMA land on Thursday for whatever fixes are necessary. Of the impression its a dying ribbon cable issue, but it might also mean an entirely new panel. Great timing. Only had a few months more of the three year warranty. 

272108958_624463262145507_4653883494595350359_n.jpg

Cheese monger.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, Serin said:

Ok.
Pics taken.
This was probably 15-20 mins worth of on time with just the background showing, and taken about 20 after that. Still there now, hours later.
You can clearly see the brightest streak of nebula there.

Onv6cgZ.jpg

5YQ7C1v.jpg

Not sure if that would help but have you considered the possibility that your problem can be software-related? LCD don't burn-in, that's not how they work but they can have temporary image retention - a lot of those can be caused by software. 

I would try some of these if I were you 

- disable any form of adaptive sync, if you have any enabled (G-sync, V-sync, anything)

- since you mentioned HDR, check if local dimming is turning on during your desktop use, disable if it's on

- disable Black Frame Insertion and if you have it on

- update firmware to the latest version

Also, you might want to check this post, any of the trick there might work for you. Ultrawide monitor can be buggy from what I heard, so it's possible that this due to software or firmware bug rather than the panel itself being broken

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7539

• 2 months later...

Received my third LG 34WK95U-W 5k2k Ultrawide today after they finally sorted out the RMA of the second after 12 weeks.
And, of course, it is inexplicably turning itself off at seemingly random interludes regardless of power or display cable, driver or any other setting I can think of.

AVOID THIS SKU.
It is cursed.

Cheese monger.

• 1 year later...

How is monitor number 3 going?

I am also experiencing ghosting on my 34WK95U-W.AAU (Nov 2020 delivery) and have started RMA. Also Melbourne based.

Does not appear to be burn in as it eventually fades over the course of a few hours.

But definitely is ghosting.

Over the course of a few years, I have used it with a range of inputs, PC, GPU HDMI, DP, monitor setting etc and the issue is definitely there, always has been.

Ran some tests and the ghosting appears with a static image or window is on the screen for 1hr or less and then persists for a few hours (strongly visible for the 1st hour after removing the image or window). High contrast images such as widows (or even a windows login screen image of scaffolding) definitely cause it worse.

Ran the same tests and use my side monitors  in the same way (4k LG ultrafine, 27", April 2020 purchase) and they do not experience ghosting.

Monitor has always had up to date firmware.

Using it over a range of scenarios, software, hardware and inputs leads me to believe it is a hardware/panel/firmware/controller issue with the panel.

If it was a $200 BenQ I wouldn't really care but being a $2,300 AUD panel when new I would expect better. Especially when the $600 panels next to it from the same brand and also being IPS do not exhibit the same issues.

Finally finished a 1hr call with support after testing and documenting it in a PDF over the course of a few days and have to carry it into a service centre for repair, so will hopefully have an update over the next few months. Carry in repair so have to find the old box....

On 4/26/2023 at 1:59 PM, DoleBludgeoner said:

How is monitor number 3 going?

Finally finished a 1hr call with support after testing and documenting it in a PDF over the course of a few days and have to carry it into a service centre for repair, so will hopefully have an update over the next few months. Carry in repair so have to find the old box....

Ahhh, keeping the old box. Thats something I've had to get really good at 😛

I gave up after the third panel was caput, mate.
Switched over the alienware qd-oled sucker. Managed to burn some stuff into that recently too, despite being about as careful as a person could reasonably be with it. So annoyed.

Starting to think its just... not avoidable.

Cheese monger.