Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TranquilElder

Can a motherboard turn on without a cpu?

5 hours ago, TranquilElder said:

That seems to be the case here :/

Most of the time with components like motherboards in order to get into the bios a CPU has to be installed most will not power on at all while some will power on for literally a split second and it's not even enough to spin the system fans. As Bishop said outside of the Enterprise market very few boards turn on without a CPU installed and B450 is a chipset that doesn't. I think some of the ASUS high end boards do but that's for updating bios before you install the CPU like CUDA said in his post.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm trying to run power trough a motherboard to check if my fans are working

I have everything plugged in to the motherboard except the CPU, so my question is can a motherboard turn on without the CPU? 

Does the CPU have to be in a socket for a Motherboardto turn on?

I can’t  short the Fpanel because it doesn't do anything when i put my screwdriver in there and I’ve tested my PSU with the paperclip method so trying to figure out if my motherboard is dead or i just need a CPU to turn it on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually they don't turn on at all without a CPU in the socket. 


Main Desktop: Cpu - I9-9900k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

 

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

 

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it turns on without the CPU and you can see the fan spin or not.


Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

 

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes it turns on without the CPU and you can see the fan spin or not.

Only once have I had a motherboard turn on without the CPU installed, and that was because it was an asus board which could update it's BIOS without a CPU/RAM installed. 

 

Other than that, I am not familiar with any motherboard that will turn on without a CPU installed since the CPU generally shorts many important functions of the motherboard together to allow the system to turn on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It really depends on your motherboard.
BIOS can run and even output to a display without a CPU, but there are almost no implementations of this outside of the enterprise market.

 

For the desktop market it really is a mixed bag, you may get a constant beep warning that you have no CPU.  Or you may get the system briefly power on, then off again.  Or something in between.

 

What I can say for certain though, you will not damage any component by powering it on without a CPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Only once have I had a motherboard turn on without the CPU installed, and that was because it was an asus board which could update it's BIOS without a CPU/RAM installed. 

 

Other than that, I am not familiar with any motherboard that will turn on without a CPU installed since the CPU generally shorts many important functions of the motherboard together to allow the system to turn on.

I have a gigabyte b450m ds3h and my ryzen is about to arrive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Bishop Crane said:

It really depends on your motherboard.
BIOS can run and even output to a display without a CPU, but there are almost no implementations of this outside of the enterprise market.

 

For the desktop market it really is a mixed bag, you may get a constant beep warning that you have no CPU.  Or you may get the system briefly power on, then off again.  Or something in between.

 

What I can say for certain though, you will not damage any component by powering it on without a CPU.

I don’t nt think mine can turn on without the cpu (gigabyte b450m )

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
5 hours ago, TranquilElder said:

That seems to be the case here :/

Most of the time with components like motherboards in order to get into the bios a CPU has to be installed most will not power on at all while some will power on for literally a split second and it's not even enough to spin the system fans. As Bishop said outside of the Enterprise market very few boards turn on without a CPU installed and B450 is a chipset that doesn't. I think some of the ASUS high end boards do but that's for updating bios before you install the CPU like CUDA said in his post.


Main Desktop: Cpu - I9-9900k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

 

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

 

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My B450m DS3h didn't turn on with a CPU or RAM installed.


Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

 

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×